Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I know the Plus has more RAM, a better keyboard and a better slider. But does anyone think the Pre looks better with the centre button + its two surrounding lights? I'm not sure if I'm a huge fan of the wee line of light. Maybe I'm just strange and don't want to accept change (considering picking up a Palm Pre Plus but am reluctant to do so simply because of the change in the button + light).

Thanks for the responses in advance!
    It's a phone...looks are irrelevant for the most part. Get the plus.....or if you want to save yourself a lot of money [every month] go with the origonal on Sprint (and run Govnah to compensate).

Either way take the plunge. WebOS is very exciting, fun and the homebrew community keeps it changing daily.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    The Pre Plus is a major upgrade over the pre without any loss of functionality. If you’re basing you decision on the missing button that didn’t do anything, you still have the same amount of notification. So the decision between the two form factors is the carriers, Sprint for the Pre and Verizon or AT&T for the Pre Plus.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    No mechanical button = one less thing to break.

The "wee line of light" is elegant and completely invisible when not in use. Perfectly executed in my opinion.
    i also really the little lights and center button light. but, i could so totally go for double the memory.

how is the behaior of the line of light different than that of the pre- lights when swiping, etc? is there something similar to the center to outer and reverse when swiping from gesture area to screen or back?
    I like the center button since it helps me locate my back gesture without looking at the phone.... not a huge deal, but it is helpful for me since I use the Pre to play music/podcasts in the car and in my pocket when working around the house. Could probably live without it.

My main reason for liking the non-Plus is my choice of carrier (Sprint).
    I personally just hate the middle button. Take that off and I'd be happy. It's obtrusive and I never use it.
    Ditto to all the above... I personally like having the center button because when it lights up for notifications, it is easier to see. But.. is literally the only thing I use it for - it like a notification 'light bulb' and that's it.

But if I had the choice of devices, I'd go for the Plus version just because of the memory and RAM additions... but only if it were offered on the Sprint network. If I had to go to another network, the minor changes wouldn't be worth the extra $ I'd have to shell out monthly. I've never run out of storage on my Pre, and with the new kernals and Govnah available - I've never had the TMC issue since installing them.

To sum up... I've never dropped a call on Sprint since coming over from AT&T (where I dropped calls constantly).... the Pre's (non-Plus version) memory has been great for me now that it's OC'd, and the monthly cost is a lot less.
    HelloNNNewman, I would personally love it if they hid a red led, that would flash for notifications.

I too use the center button for notifications all day long at work (the Pre spends a lot of time sitting out and on silent). Sometimes I think it is flashing but its the lights reflecting off the screen/hard case. Or I don't see it flashing for the same reason.

Would love a hidden red led to flash like I had on my old phones when I had a notification. That would be awesome.... other than specs, that would be a great hardware change.
    sprint in my opinion is the best carrier. always choose your carrier first, then the phone!!!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    sprint in my opinion is the best carrier. always choose your carrier first, then the phone!!!
    Precisely why I don't have an iPhone right now. I'm a Verizon customer, my wife (an iPhone user) is an AT&T customer, and we both were Sprint customers, and in my humble opinion Verizon has it all over Big Blue and Big Yellow, both in quality of signal and quality of service, though I wish VZW had 4G speed like Sprint. Because of my negative perception of AT&T, reinforced by the frequent dropped calls from my AT&T phone-toting friends, I elected not to bail on Verizon and got a Pre Plus instead of an iPhone. I love Apple products but won't be tethered to an excellent product on a crummy network...well, crummy in my neck of the woods (north-central North Carolina) anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceNC View Post
    Precisely why I don't have an iPhone right now. I'm a Verizon customer, my wife (an iPhone user) is an AT&T customer, and we both were Sprint customers, and in my humble opinion Verizon has it all over Big Blue and Big Yellow, both in quality of signal and quality of service, though I wish VZW had 4G speed like Sprint. Because of my negative perception of AT&T, reinforced by the frequent dropped calls from my AT&T phone-toting friends, I elected not to bail on Verizon and got a Pre Plus instead of an iPhone. I love Apple products but won't be tethered to an excellent product on a crummy network...well, crummy in my neck of the woods (north-central North Carolina) anyway.
    I agree - My Verizon coverage is great but they are expensive and I got a problem with the withholding Updates and screwing with the GPS so you have to buy their app. Bottom line is that most people shop carriers rather than phones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I agree - My Verizon coverage is great but they are expensive and I got a problem with the withholding Updates and screwing with the GPS so you have to buy their app. Bottom line is that most people shop carriers rather than phones.
    I should have mentioned that I'm on a legacy Alltel plan so it's not quite as expensive as if I had a current Verizon plan. That said, Verizon's pricing is pretty much in line with AT&T's, at least the last time I checked two or three weeks ago.

Also, for some reason, the GPS on my phone has been working splendidly with Google Maps, even when indoors. Takes a little bit to get a lock, but not forever. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the behavior will continue.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I'm on AT&T but never wanted an iPhone. I travel in central america and I need a GSM phone for there, so I can drop in a local SIM (available from just about any street vendor) and use that prepaid while there. I mean I know I could go with whatever any carrier has for roaming agreement, but I'd rather just not. So unlocked + GSM + able to swap SIM is key for me.

I'm happy w/ my AT&T Pre+. The dropped calls I get are almost exclusively in one area, I'm convinced they have a bad tower. Alas its in an area I'm in regularly. ah well.