Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, apparently there is a way to add Mobile Hot-spot from Verizon's Palm Pre Plus onto Sprints Palm Pre version 1.4.11 - 1.4.5. Sprint somehow blocked MyTether from working anymore. I've tried this on 6 different devices, Even working on iPod Touch samples in the middle of the Apple Store. This is the link with the directions if you're interested.
  2.    #2  
    1. Download WebOSQuickInstall.jar (java program, also check this thread on PreCentral for the latest version) and you will also need to download the latest WebOSDoctor.jar. (you can download this later)

Also make sure you have Java installed as these files won’t run without Java. If you don’t have Java installed, simply point your browser to Java.com and you can install it.

2. Also download these two files, com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.14_all-already_patched.ipk (the actual Verizon Mobile Hotspot patched to work with other Palm Pre OSes), and us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk (which will re-route your IP address to the Mobile Hotspot).

3. Now put all of them in the same directory and run WebOSQuickInstall.jar. Run the program and if you don’t have WebOSDoctor.jar downloaded, it will ask if you want to download it. (Say yes of course)

4. Make sure you have Novacom installed, if you don’t run WebOSQuickInstall.jar then go to File->Options then select, “Attempt Novacom (re)installation.” This will work on Windows, for linux, download these drivers. For Mac OSX, you will need to install the whole Palm SDK, which comes with Novacom, download Mac OSX Palm SDK here

5. Now the fun part, put your Palm Pre into dev mode by going to home then typing “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart”. (You should see a dev mode menu pop up where you can enable dev mode.)

6. Connect your Palm Pre to your computer.

7. Run WebOSQuickInstall. (or go back to it if it’s already running)

8. Click on + button and add the file us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk. Click Install.

10. Check your phone to see if the Mobile Hotspot app has appeared, if it has, you are done!

Just in case you have trouble, I made a short YouTube video detailing every step on how to install the Mobile Hotspot app on your Palm Pre:
    I just put it on my sprint pre last night and it works fine.
    i recieve an error saying clearing_state want & state_flag for pkg us.ryanhope.freetetherd arch priority=0 flag=16 want =2 error return value =4 cannot find pkg us.ryanhope.freetetherd
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Outstanding. Installed just now and seems to work fine. Well see how much data I get charged for. Thanks
    @melt1995 not to worry you wont be charged for any data.

I use it fairly often, and others use it a lot, and there are no extra charges.

I guess the caviat is just be aware and dont abuse and it should be there for all to enjoy
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

I use mine all the time.

Still works great after about 4 months of light to moderate use. I've even Skyped using Mobile Hotspot a time or two.

I'm still impressed with it.
    "3. Now put all of them in the same directory and run WebOSQuickInstall.jar. Run the program and if you don’t have WebOSDoctor.jar downloaded, it will ask if you want to download it. (Say yes of course)"

So I need to clarify, what does "put all of them in the same directory" mean? Cut and paste both of those downloads into 1 file? Or do I just place both files into WebOSQI and add (+) both of them?
    has anyone ever been over charged for data after using mobile hotspot?
    On my WebOS Network right now, thank you rileyjkiste!
    how to I get those ipk files? where do I download them from?
    Twitter: adamcarter
    never mind, I found them
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    i recieve an error saying clearing_state want & state_flag for pkg us.ryanhope.freetetherd arch priority=0 flag=16 want =2 error return value =4 cannot find pkg us.ryanhope.freetetherd
    I get this same message...does anyone know what this means and how to get this ipk to install correctly?
    Definitely still works fine for me. Just tried it here with my netbook and it connected right up. Funny I actually ran the 1.4.5 update with hotspot installed and it didn't break
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    Definitely still works fine for me. Just tried it here with my netbook and it connected right up. Funny I actually ran the 1.4.5 update with hotspot installed and it didn't break
    yeah since it's just an app and not a patch I'm pretty sure it's OTA safe.

If anyone needs the .ipk's just let send me a pm with your email address.
    Quote Originally Posted by influenze View Post
    I am getting the same error.

Am I supposed to also have installed "com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.14_all-already_patched.ipk" using WebOS Quickinstall?
    Well, I can install Mobile Hotspot, but not the ryanhope file.

My Spring Palm Pre can run the app Mobile Hotspot but it does not seem to see the Wifi radio.
    Found my answer in another thread (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html).

Cliff Notes version: you need Preware installed before the ryanhope file can be successfully installed. Use WebOSQuickinstall to find and install Preware.

I will be testing the Mobile Hotspot app tomorrow at work. But I can already tell it is accessing the Wifi radio, connecting with my other Wifi pc's, etc.
    Since MyTether.net is still not working with my Palm Pre, I've opted to add Mobile Hotspot to my phone. Install was quick and painless and directions clear, but speed seemed a bit slower than what I had been getting with MyTether in exactly the same location? Nevertheless, I appreciate having an emergency connection. Thx.

I have been using the MHS with great success.However, after i broke my phone and reloaded it on the new one, now all i get is SERVER NOT FOUND.I have removed and installed numerous times. Is there a way to check or verify i have installed correctly? i use my ipk that i had saved to my Desktop computer. I am using the Patched app and the other file that one can still find here..Any thoughts or ideas?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast