Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...and see if there is an approximately 1mm gap on the top and sides, between the slider and screen. I just received the phone today but quickly noticed this issue and a very slight Oreo (1-2mm), plus when I press on the top left/right corners, the screen would "give". Is this normal?

Also, can someone recommend a case that would disable the slider (ie. cover up the whole thing); I don't need the keyboard, I can use a virtual one.

Thanks a lot.
    There is no case to disable the slider. Shame on you for asking.

As for the 1mm gap it is typical on the Pre and is part of the slider mechanism
    You should consider familiarizing yourself with the search link at the top of the forum. The topics you're asking about are among the most heavily discussed topics on the forum.

1. Yes, many (although not quite all) Palm Pre's have a slight gap and oreo effect.

2. There is a case sold at sprint stores with looks a lot like the typical clip-on cases but thicker. It actually has built in rails front and back that completely eliminate oreo, but it also makes your phone MUCH bigger, so a lot of folks don't like it. Also, if it's minor, any case with clip-on tabs 'may' help.

3. There are lot's of tutorials an how-to articles on various fixes, all of which will void your warranty.

4. I don't know if you've owned many sliders before, but a certain amount of oreo is perfectly normal. My #1 recommendation would be to ignore it.

Edit on #2..... ah, I missed that "you don't need a keyboard." You should return your phone. If you can say that you don't want or need a keyboard and say it with a straight face, you REALLY bought the wrong phone. I recommend returning it and getting a feature phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  4.    #4  
    Should I be worried that the gap or the Oreo effect will eventually get larger as I need this phone for the next 3 years...

Quite frankly, the only reasons I got this phone was because Bell offered a $15/month discount ONLY on this phone and it had Wi-fi but I'm also pretty impressed with WebOS...not so much with the hardware itself; apologies if this offended anyone
    Well it doesn't have a stock virtual keyboard, you'll need a patch for it and almost every update breaks it for a few days so you might want to try the hardware keyboard it's very nice
  6.    #6  
    One of the reasons I don't want to use the actual keyboard is because I'm afraid that frequently moving the slider will actually increase the gap/Oreo effect on the phone...
    If it gets excessive your network will replace it with a refurbished model or most likely a new one if you're within 30 days

But seriously just use the keyboard it's one of the Pre's greatest strengths right after WebOS and after you adjust to it you can really fly
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNstephen View Post
    One of the reasons I don't want to use the actual keyboard is because I'm afraid that frequently moving the slider will actually increase the gap/Oreo effect on the phone...
    One of the reasons I bought a Pre was for the keyboard. In the year I've had my Pre sliding the keyboard all the time, my Oreo gap didn't get any worse.
    To use the Pre without the keyboard to avoid making the oreo worse is like not driving your car so you don't add miles
    First, I would highly recommend adding insurance to your phone plan if you plan to have it for 3 years. For a few $$$ per month, it'll probably come in handy. Second, use the keyboard. I've never had an issue with mine. My first Pre had a tighter slider than my second one but the screen cracked on it. This one had more of an oreo to it from day one but it hasn't gotten any worse over the past 8 months.
    CDNstephen - I checked my Pre!
    It looks the same as it did for the last six months.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I really wasn't being sarcastic when I recommended returning your phone and getting something else. It's an honest suggestion. It sounds like the Pre is simply not a good fit for you.

Every slider I have ever owned from any manufacturer has had some degree of oreo. Some are better than others, some worse. The Pre is about in the middle.

With every single one of them, the slack in the slider mechanism gets sloppier over time. You've got delicate parts that fit and move with a lot of friction. It's only natural that they will wear over time, and get sloppier as they do. This is a normal and expected part of owning a slider. Under normal circumstances, it happens gradually, so many people never notice. With my last two phones, which were the same model of samsung slider on two different networks, I never even noticed the slider getting worse until I got a new phone of the same model.

Basically, you need to do one of two things; either accept that a little wiggle is normal and get over it, or exchange your phone for one that doesn't have a slider. If you can't bring yourself to do one of those two things, you're bound to be unhappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I think all the characteristics you mention, as other posters have noted, are part of the deal when you buy a Pre. It's plastic and full of moving, sliding parts. It ain't gonna be perfect, I'm afraid. And as far as a recommendation goes, the only case I'd recommend for the Pre is a pocket pouch. It just looks too cool "naked" to be in a case all the time, even when you're using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    First, I would highly recommend adding insurance to your phone plan if you plan to have it for 3 years. For a few $$$ per month, it'll probably come in handy. Second, use the keyboard. I've never had an issue with mine. My first Pre had a tighter slider than my second one but the screen cracked on it. This one had more of an oreo to it from day one but it hasn't gotten any worse over the past 8 months.
    The Canadian insurance offered by Bell is useless. They charge you 7 bucks a month, and there's a $150 premium if you claim, and another $150 if they "deem your phone having no problems". Comparison a good condition Pre is going used in Canada for about $150, and a brand new one from Bell is $299 no contract.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Get a case that clips to itself (kinda has its own slider).... and use the keyboard 43589734857348349687 times a day. The wife and I have had our phones for about 10 months now, have had the cases since the first week or so..... no problems with using the keyboard (and I use it a lot..... universal search is used for pretty much everything on my phone).
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Shame on you for asking.
    There's really no need for that attitude...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ...and see if there is an approximately 1mm gap on the top and sides, between the slider and screen. I just received the phone today but quickly noticed this issue and a very slight Oreo (1-2mm), plus when I press on the top left/right corners, the screen would "give". Is this normal?

Also, can someone recommend a case that would disable the slider (ie. cover up the whole thing); I don't need the keyboard, I can use a virtual one.

Thanks a lot.
    I have the same effect on my Pre Plus, but it is just part of the phone. It hasn't gotten any better or worse, and doesn't affect the performance.

I have the virtual keyboard patch installed, and I switch between the virtual and physical keyboard, depending on which I need at the time.
  18.    #18  
    *Sigh* Just found another problem today with my Pre...

I was using my Palm Pre (web surfing, basic apps) for approximately 2 hrs plugged in w/ Wi-fi on and the back became a little warm and there were white/yellow "splots" on the right side of the screen - these splots are white on a dark bkground, yellow on a lighter bkground. After a while, they were gone but would show up after approximately 20 min of use, these would show up again.

Should I be concerned and send it in for an exchange (3-4 wks)?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    If you bring your phone into your carrier (Bell?) store, they can tighten the slider.

The yellow or blotchy spots (defects) are common with most original Pres because of heat emitting from a certain component. Most stores will not replace that unless they permanently cause problems in viewing/reading content.
    I checked my Pre, it's almost 15 months old and still works great, thanks for asking!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast