Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    I thought I might as well start a thread on this matter seeing as how I was not able to find any truly relevant information pertaining to this issue else where.

    Well I have now had three palm pre plus' and each and every one of them has the very same issue; about half of the time the phone will not ring when I receive a phone call or text message. Now I have contacted both palm and at&t and they both say that if I get another new phone that the problem shall not arise again, but I am pretty damn sure that it will. So I was wondering if anyone on the forums here has encountered the same problem and if anyone out there knows of a solution?

    Much obliged for your time.
  2. #2  
    Have you run it through the tests in the Device Info app to make sure the phone is working properly?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  3.    #3  
    Yeah I have run it through all of the diagnostics and have doctored it and been on the line with palm technical support for hours on end and there seems to be no solution in sight. I really do like the phone but I am probably just gonna have to get a different model all together within the next few days if I cannot figure this problem out.
  4. #4  
    What vza33 said, Check the vibrate toggle test
    Also do you use headphones a lot?
    What are your settings in the sounds and ringtone app?
    Can you reproduce the problem by ringing yourself and seeing if the ringtone sounds?

    Pip
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    What vza33 said, Check the vibrate toggle test
    Also do you use headphones a lot?
    What are your settings in the sounds and ringtone app?
    Can you reproduce the problem by ringing yourself and seeing if the ringtone sounds?

    Pip
    As far as headphones I use them from time to time, and the settings in the ringtone app are as follows:
    1. When ringer switch is on: sound and vibrate
    2. Ringtone: mp3 song
    3. Ringtone volume: all the way up
    4. System sounds: on
    5. System sounds volume: half way

    And if I use another phone to call myself I can indeed reproduce the problem.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    As far as headphones I use them from time to time, and the settings in the ringtone app are as follows:
    1. When ringer switch is on: sound and vibrate
    2. Ringtone: mp3 song
    3. Ringtone volume: all the way up
    4. System sounds: on
    5. System sounds volume: half way

    And if I use another phone to call myself I can indeed reproduce the problem.
    When you answer the calls that don't ring, are you able to hear the other person on the phone?
    Have you tried setting your ringtone as one of the standard ringtones and been able to reproduce it?

    Pip
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    When you answer the calls that don't ring, are you able to hear the other person on the phone?
    Have you tried setting your ringtone as one of the standard ringtones and been able to reproduce it?

    Pip
    Yes, when I answer the calls that do not ring I can definitely hear the other person. And even with a stock ringtone the same issue occurs.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    Yes, when I answer the calls that do not ring I can definitely hear the other person. And even with a stock ringtone the same issue occurs.
    Well that's the ghastly headset problem quashed.
    Have you run the ringer toggle interactive test?
    Have you noticed any loosness in the ringer switch at the top of the phone?

    Pip
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Well that's the ghastly headset problem quashed.
    Have you run the ringer toggle interactive test?
    Have you noticed any loosness in the ringer switch at the top of the phone?

    Pip
    Yeah I just ran that test and it passed. And there is no looseness what so ever in the ringer switch either. Mind you that this is the third pre plus that this problem has plagued!

    Thanks for the quick responses, much obliged for your time.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    Yeah I just ran that test and it passed. And there is no looseness what so ever in the ringer switch either. Mind you that this is the third pre plus that this problem has plagued!

    Thanks for the quick responses, much obliged for your time.
    Now I'm confused If its not the headset, or the ringer switch, or the type of mp3, and this has plagued 3 differnet pre's, if I'm not overlooking anything, then the only constant I see that could effect it is your AT&T account. Strange as this sounds, could it possibly be a problem on your account? Would you happen to have a friend or family member that also uses AT&T so that you could try reproducing this problem on your device but using their sim instead?

    I might be clutching at straws, but it might be worth a try.

    Pip
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Now I'm confused If its not the headset, or the ringer switch, or the type of mp3, and this has plagued 3 differnet pre's, if I'm not overlooking anything, then the only constant I see that could effect it is your AT&T account. Strange as this sounds, could it possibly be a problem on your account? Would you happen to have a friend or family member that also uses AT&T so that you could try reproducing this problem on your device but using their sim instead?

    I might be clutching at straws, but it might be worth a try.

    Pip
    Well that is an interesting thought, I might be able to get a hold of another sim card by the end of the day. Although I don't think that that will have any bearing on the issue.

    Any other ideas?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    Well that is an interesting thought, I might be able to get a hold of another sim card by the end of the day. Although I don't think that that will have any bearing on the issue.

    Any other ideas?
    Does seem a bit wild I know.
    Also try taking note of these factors when the issue occurs:
    Signal level: x out 5 bars, g/2g/3g
    Area you are when issue occurs
    Wifi on/off
    Bluetooth on/off
    Can it be reproduced witha wide range of your contacts. If there only a certain number of contacts, is there a constant with those contacts.
    Is there a pattern to the issue, ie does it happen after using certain apps, or can you reproduce after a clean reboot.
    Is it reproducable on a stock pre?

    Not sure if I'm helping but there must be a consistent factor if it isn't the hardware, 3 new pre rules out hardware to me.

    Pip
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Does seem a bit wild I know.
    Also try taking note of these factors when the issue occurs:
    Signal level: x out 5 bars, g/2g/3g
    Area you are when issue occurs
    Wifi on/off
    Bluetooth on/off
    Can it be reproduced witha wide range of your contacts. If there only a certain number of contacts, is there a constant with those contacts.
    Is there a pattern to the issue, ie does it happen after using certain apps, or can you reproduce after a clean reboot.
    Is it reproducable on a stock pre?

    Not sure if I'm helping but there must be a consistent factor if it isn't the hardware, 3 new pre rules out hardware to me.

    Pip
    Alright let's see:

    1. Signal level: 3 to 5 bars, always 3G
    2. Usually in the second story of house
    3. Wifi and bluetooth off
    4. Issue occurs throughout seemingly all contacts
    5. As far as the apps go I cannot be certain but it seems to occur regardless of what the phone is doing.
    6. After a clean reboot the problem still occurs
    7. And I noticed this problem even afore I installed a custom theme on the first pre.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    Alright let's see:

    1. Signal level: 3 to 5 bars, always 3G
    2. Usually in the second story of house
    3. Wifi and bluetooth off
    4. Issue occurs throughout seemingly all contacts
    5. As far as the apps go I cannot be certain but it seems to occur regardless of what the phone is doing.
    6. After a clean reboot the problem still occurs
    7. And I noticed this problem even afore I installed a custom theme on the first pre.
    Try turning data off (phone app, menu in top left, preferences) and see if you can reproduce it?
    Do you notice it happening when you are not in your house?

    Pip
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Try turning data off (phone app, menu in top left, preferences) and see if you can reproduce it?
    Do you notice it happening when you are not in your house?

    Pip
    I actually usually have data turned off and even when I am driving around or any where else in general the issue still occurs.
  16. #16  
    How long have you been with AT&T?

    To tell the truth... I used to have a very similar problem with them... people would call, and sometimes the phone simply wouldnt ring. Hell, it wasnt even consistent... sometimes it wouldnt ring, but the person on the other end would say that it rang through the full 30 seconds or so before going to voicemail and other times they would say it went straight to voicemail.

    I switched to Sprint... and stopped having that problem.

    Honestly... the troubleshooting Ive seen so far in this thread points at only one source... the service provider... because it is a problem that has been replicated across 3 devices... but strangely if it were a problem with all ATT pres, we would have heard about it before now. I imagine there is some setting in your ATT server profile that has gotten buggered up...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    How long have you been with AT&T?

    To tell the truth... I used to have a very similar problem with them... people would call, and sometimes the phone simply wouldnt ring. Hell, it wasnt even consistent... sometimes it wouldnt ring, but the person on the other end would say that it rang through the full 30 seconds or so before going to voicemail and other times they would say it went straight to voicemail.

    I switched to Sprint... and stopped having that problem.

    Honestly... the troubleshooting Ive seen so far in this thread points at only one source... the service provider... because it is a problem that has been replicated across 3 devices... but strangely if it were a problem with all ATT pres, we would have heard about it before now. I imagine there is some setting in your ATT server profile that has gotten buggered up...
    If indeed the problem does reside within ATT, what could possibly be done other then switching service providers?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    If indeed the problem does reside within ATT, what could possibly be done other then switching service providers?
    Well I switched to Sprint because my contract was up... and was just straight fed up with the crappy ATT service.

    You should honestly have a chat with an ATT tech support rep and find out if all of your profile server settings are optimized for the Pre... what those settings could be I couldnt tell you. I can tell you that I was having a problem with people receiving my number as unlisted when I called, because I had a dumbphone before that which had a setting to hide my number or not, and when I switched to the pre, that portion of my network settings got messed up because the Pre doesnt have that option. Just saying... different phones have different network profiles, and the Pre doesnt have a section for changing very many of your network settings.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by reipsadeus View Post
    If indeed the problem does reside within ATT, what could possibly be done other then switching service providers?
    How long have you had your current sim card?
    Have you ever had your AT&T reactivated?

    Pip
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    How long have you had your current sim card?
    Have you ever had your AT&T reactivated?

    Pip
    I do believe that I have had this sim card for at least three years and no my account has never been reactivated.

    PS: I am about to call ATT tech support and see what they have to say, the higher level up tech support people over at palm should be calling me within the next couple of days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions