1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I'm on Verizon and own a Pre+. I'll be travelling to Montreal tomorrow and I was wondering what the charges I'll face with data, texting, and calling.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scarflash View Post
    Hey guys, I'm on Verizon and own a Pre+. I'll be travelling to Montreal tomorrow and I was wondering what the charges I'll face with data, texting, and calling.

Thanks
    Coincidence! I was in Montreal last week (with the VZW Pre+ in hand)
    1. Unless you change to Nationwide plus Canada for calling, calls, I believe, will be charged at $0.69 per min. You would need to use the number 1 before dialing a US number.
    2. Text will be charged at $0.25 per msg unless you have a text package.
    3. Data: This was the annoying part. I called Verizon to change my data plan to the "Global PDA Smartphone plan" ($64.99 per month) prorated for the duration of stay. But, even after updating PRL before departure (*228 - option 2 etc..), I could not get data connection to work at all. They refunded me the money but it was annoying walking around the city looking for public Wi-Fi hotspots to check my emails (You might develop a caffeine addiction, for example, when you go around looking for free Wi-Fi cafes :-)).
    Best of luck with the data part. Hopefully, it was specific to my phone. Please reply to this post after your trip to let me/us know whether it worked for you.
  3.    #3  
    wow could not have received a better answer. I guess I expected the data thing though. Oh and I have a messaging pack that includes free verizon to verizon texting. Will this carrythrough to canada? Once again thanks for the great answer.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    You are welcome. Sorry for the small confusion. I believe your US only plan rates will not apply for texts.
    I am correcting my own response to point 2: I believe you get charged $0.25 for every text message you send and $0.20 for every text you receive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwinger View Post
    You are welcome. Sorry for the small confusion. I believe your US only plan rates will not apply for texts.
    I am correcting my own response to point 2: I believe you get charged $0.25 for every text message you send and $0.20 for every text you receive.
    But if you have an unlimited text package, does that that still apply?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Maybe someone can chime in. Does the unlimited text package apply to international texts?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I've never had Canada texting counted as international on Verizon. In fact, I'm in Canada now and it's all been billed as domestic. AT&T, on the other hand, considers it as international.

- Jason