1.    #1  
    Fellow Precentral members,

I have just bought myself an AT&T Palm Pre Plus off ebay for use in Australia.

I am have very little experience with phones, carriers and sim cards. When I received my new Pre, I instantly went on to the NextGenServers website to buy a Palm Pre Plus unlock. (Palm Pre & Palm Pre Plus Unlock, Unlock Palm Pre & Pre Plus Network & SIM locks - Palm Pre Deblocage)
    I then watched their included tutorial on how to unlock a Palm Pre and it showed that the phone needs to be activated before you can unlock it.

My phone is not activated yet, and when I boot the phone up, it is not letting my past a similar screen to this one:

I do not have a AT&T unlock code, or AT&T Sim card, and I'll anything to avoid having to send the phone all the way back to the seller in the US just to activate it for me. All I have is my Telstra/TPG Sim card with a Data plan for use with the Pre when it is working.

Is there anyway I can bypass this activation, or skip it in some way so I can continue with unlocking the Pre to work correctly as a normal phone in Australia?

I've heard of the webOS patching java application, but I'm not sure what if it is the correct fix that I'm looking for, and how to apply it.

I will be incredibly grateful to anyone that can lend any kind of a helping hand here.

I accept replies to this thread, Personal Messages, Instant Messages, Emails, Skype calls or any contact method that you'd prefer using, to help me out.

As you can see I'm kinda getting desperate here!!!

Thanks so much,
    Gavin
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    You can use meta doctor to bypass the activation screen, I think.
    But, its seems as though you actually want to use the phone to make calls. Correct? Cuz if so, you will have to do something different.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
  4.    #4  
    Yeah mate. I'd like to be able to use it as a proper phone ultimately. Hmmm... what to do, what to do. xD

EDIT: And just to clarify with anyone. I'm not at all fussed by the paid apps problem. I'm not worried about that limitation at the moment. I'm just worried about getting past the activation screen that is preventing me from using my Pre.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    You can use meta doctor to bypass the activation screen, I think.
    But, its seems as though you actually want to use the phone to make calls. Correct? Cuz if so, you will have to do something different.
    Last edited by Editor02; 08/14/2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    You can buy an unlock I believe. This will allow you to use a carrier down there.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I believe if you buy the unlock and use it down there, it will lock you into the App Catalog in that country. If you want the US catalog it would have to be unlocked in the US. If that doesn't matter.. then no problem
    Ahhh... THERE he is... the man(from Nam) with the answers when it comes to this stuff! Thanks for joining in and bringing clarity!
  8.    #8  
    OMG, thank you so much everybody. I'm getting the actual simcard I will ultimately use with the phone sometime tomorrow (or the next day). I'll be reading up on all the other pages you linked me to so i have a clear idea what I need to do.

Thanks GuyFromNam!!

I'll report back later.