1.    #1  
    Having trouble with my Palm Pre+ (Verizon) which is only 5 month into my contract. I've already had the phone replaced once, 1 1/2 months in, with a refurbished one because of these same issues. Now phone #2 having the same issues as phone #1:

Here are my problems:

1.) My phone gets very hot just sitting there. So hot in fact it's uncomfortable to hold for a short time. It's not the battery but the area directly below the battery on the back.

2.) The phone takes very long to charge

3.) Calls keep getting dropped or don't go through at all - if I'm able to connect to a call, usually get "signal faded - call dropped" message within about 60 seconds in, or if someone calls me the phone doesn't even ring at all and goes to voicemail. Have full bars!

4.) Data transmissions very sluggish. Keeps going from 3G to 1X in areas I've never had a problem.

I feel as though I shouldn't keep having these same problems. I shouldn't have to replace my phone every 2-3 months! The phone hasn't been abused, dropped, been wet, or any other type of abnormal use so I know it's not me. I've always been a fan of palm but this experience is making me think differently. I'm almost ready to buy myself out of my contract and go with another brand.

What could be causing these problems??? Should I just give up on Palm???

--Eric

Palm M505 (still works!)
    Palm Treo 755p
    Palm Pre+ (eh?)
    Have you applied any patches or customized kernels?
    Having trouble with my Palm Pre+ (Verizon) which is only 5 month into my contract. I've already had the phone replaced once, 1 1/2 months in, with a refurbished one because of these same issues. Now phone #2 having the same issues as phone #1:

I'm very sorry to hear that. (rush)

My phone gets very hot just sitting there. So hot in fact it's uncomfortable to hold for a short time. It's not the battery but the area directly below the battery on the back.

Some phone does that if a overclock kernal is installed. Are you currently running any
    kernel, other than stock. Ps. If you are not running a overclock kernel, then that part below the battery is the radio transmitter. It usually get warm when the phone is on and working. That's in every phone. Don't worry about that too much, unless it's ridiculously too hot, if so return the device for a replacement. (rush)

The phone takes very long to charge

What charging method are you using? It shouldn't take that long. How long are you talking about? (rush)

4.) Data transmissions very sluggish. Keeps going from 3G to 1X in areas I've never had a problem

Mines do the same thing.. especially in an area where there is poor signal strength. Update your data profile on your phone. This problem is coming from your subscriber, not the phone. (rush)

I feel as though I shouldn't keep having these same problems. I shouldn't have to replace my phone every 2-3 months! The phone hasn't been abused, dropped, been wet, or any other type of abnormal use so I know it's not me. I've always been a fan of palm but this experience is making me think differently. I'm almost ready to buy myself out of my contract and go with another brand.

You're not alone. We all feel the same way, but remember all electronics are man made, and we do sometimes get hiccups. I wish they could make non-problematic phones. That would be super awesome.
    (rush)

I would strongly suggest doing a webos doctor on the device. www.palm.com/rom. Best of luck.
    Last edited by rush; 08/14/2010 at 10:16 AM.
    Again, I've had the same problem with the heat a couple times. Just restart the device. Leave it off for a few minutes, and bot it back up. If that doesnt work, pull the battery for a couple hours, place it back in, reboot. Should fix the problem. If it doesnt, take it back to your provider, and explain to them what is going on.
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
  5.    #5  
    That's the thing, I haven't changed anything to the phone in weeks! I put it on the charger Thursday night and Friday morning took it off. A couple hours later notice the phone very hot and my charge down to 36% (from 100% a couple hours ago). Now I know battery life is an issue, but even with "normal" use I get a full day out of the phone (usually get around 30% by bedtime).

I figured the part below the battery was either the processor and/or transmitter. It seems like the phone is constantly trying to transmit or running some sort of process. When I put it into airplane mode it gets a little cooler but still warm. I haven't applied any kernels but I am running preware with a couple of patches (12 total) but haven't added any or updated any in a while.

I'm currently charging the phone via the USB cable connected directly to my computer. From a dead battery (0%) this morning it's been charging for 3 hours and only at 35% right now in airplane mode. Last night when I was charging it was taking longer than usual. Figured it was because of the extra pull the processor/transmitter was putting on the phone.

And as far as the sluggish data, this is happening in areas I have never had problems like my house. I have full signal strength (can see the tower from my window) so I don't believe it is the network. My wife has a blackberry and is not having any problems.

Haven't doctored the phone yet (still waiting for it to finish charging, waiting, waiting...) but when I had this problem with the last phone doctoring didn't fix it so I'm assuming I will have the same results with this one. But will try it anyway!

I am just VERY disappointed. Not getting any support form Verizon or Palm like nobody cares because they have my money so I'm on my own. I understand that electronics can have bugs but I also believe if your going to sell something you should stand behind it. Not just give out dumb/stock answers when someone calls with issues. And if someone keeps having the same issue or can't use your product by no fault of their own you fix it.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    That's the thing, I haven't changed anything to the phone in weeks! I put it on the charger Thursday night and Friday morning took it off. A couple hours later notice the phone very hot and my charge down to 36% (from 100% a couple hours ago). Now I know battery life is an issue, but even with "normal" use I get a full day out of the phone (usually get around 30% by bedtime).

I figured the part below the battery was either the processor and/or transmitter. It seems like the phone is constantly trying to transmit or running some sort of process. When I put it into airplane mode it gets a little cooler but still warm. I haven't applied any kernels but I am running preware with a couple of patches (12 total) but haven't added any or updated any in a while.

I'm currently charging the phone via the USB cable connected directly to my computer. From a dead battery (0%) this morning it's been charging for 3 hours and only at 35% right now in airplane mode. Last night when I was charging it was taking longer than usual. Figured it was because of the extra pull the processor/transmitter was putting on the phone.

And as far as the sluggish data, this is happening in areas I have never had problems like my house. I have full signal strength (can see the tower from my window) so I don't believe it is the network. My wife has a blackberry and is not having any problems.

Haven't doctored the phone yet (still waiting for it to finish charging, waiting, waiting...) but when I had this problem with the last phone doctoring didn't fix it so I'm assuming I will have the same results with this one. But will try it anyway!

I am just VERY disappointed. Not getting any support form Verizon or Palm like nobody cares because they have my money so I'm on my own. I understand that electronics can have bugs but I also believe if your going to sell something you should stand behind it. Not just give out dumb/stock answers when someone calls with issues. And if someone keeps having the same issue or can't use your product by no fault of their own you fix it.
    I agree there might be some bugs, but one thing I would suggest would be to not charge your Pre with your computer. If the computer enters standby it could cause issues, not always, but may cause your phone to not charge as you stated. By using your charging cable plugged into the wall, or a touchstone, you should see it fully charge in just a couple of hours.

You can also check your email preferences and see how often you have it set to check email. I have mine to do so only manually, which has helped my Pre's battery life. There is another thread here somewhere (sorry didn't look for it) that lists other tips to save battery life.

The heat is another issue. Before I overclocked my Pre it never got hot, but with the 720 Mhz overclock it gets pretty warm with a lot of use. Govnah shows it hitting 40-45 degrees during those times, but not often. If you're not overclocked and its getting that hot then you probably should talk to Verizon.

I know it's frustrating being on your second phone, but electronics can be like that. My buddy's been through 3 iPhones in the last 6 months for various issues. Sometimes you get luck, other times you don't.

Palm m100 => Palm IIIx => Palm Zire 72 => Cingular Treo 650 => Sprint Palm 700p (w/755 ROM) => Sprint Palm 755p => Sprint Palm Centro => Sprint Palm Pre => Sprint FrankenPre Plus => Franken Palm Pre 2 on Sprint w/ working Nav and Sprint TV!

Family lines: Wife => Palm Centro Daughter => Palm Pixi

Living the Palm brand since 1999....and that's gotten me this!?
    RIP Palm OS and WebOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    One thing you can check, open your phone dialer preferences and check to see if you have different options under your voice Network settings. I'm on Sprint and the phone defaults to "Automatic" - it seems I have better battery life & less dropped calls, if I choose "Sprint Only."

Does Verizon have a similar setting? If so, you may try changing it.
  8.    #8  
    Yea I tried everything and still having the same problems: Phone getting hot, long charging time, keep getting dropped calls, data unreliable. Doctoring didn't do anything, leaving the battery out overnight didn't do anything, charging through the ac adapter didn't do anything. I've pretty much accepted that this phone is fried at this point, just would be nice to know what it happening seeing as this is the second time this has happened. If it's a particular app or patch that is causing the problem I just won't download that app or patch on my 3rd phone!

I hate to say it but for a name brand company they should have the major bugs figured out before they release the product. I'm guessing Palm has a R&D department? But I can accept having a problem with a product but what really bothers me is that when you continue the have the same problem or have the problem less than a few months after you buy new. On top of that nobody wants to accept responsibility - palm blames the network, verizon blames the phone... If you made a product and there is a issue, fix it! Or at least properly support it. My Palm M505 and Treo still work just fine!

I guess there's a correlation in the improvement of technology to the unreliability of technology. I am unwilling to accept that!
    Let me ask another dumb question (I like doing that!) - have you tried a different battery? Although it does sound like a phone issue, I wouldn't write it off until trying another battery.
    for temperature, turn off your gps (location services), wifi, and bluetooth. If it still overheats, you have a problem. When you see it 'just sitting there' it may be doing lots of stuff in the background that runs the radios.

if it can't make calls or they get dropped... Then it's time for a new phone. Call 611 and have verizon support help you.

if it can't make calls, the heat issue is secondary (because it's a phone before anything else).

also, as someone suggested, try another battery if at all possible. It could be defective, and you have used the same battery in both phones.

that's a common denominator you have to eliminate...
    make sure you use a genuine palm charger. Crappy knock-offs won't have the juice and they will charge slower. Pre wants 1,000mA output from the charger...

also, get Jstop from preware. It will show what processes are running in the background (facebook, gps, weather, etc).