1.    #1  
    I was just wondering, for all you smart programers/developers out there, could you shed some light on the supposed power/battery optimization that was included in the 1.4.5 update? Like explain WHAT changed and how it helps?

just curious.

Thanks
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  2.    #2  
    113 views and no one has any input?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I am on Sprint, and before the upgrade I was running the F105 Thunderchief kernel at 1000mhz with NO problems! My battery live was great!

I removed the kernel prior to my Sprint Update to 1.4.5 and then found my phone was a DOG. As expected, because it runs at 500mhz and I was at 1000mhz.

1.4.5 seems to use much more power, batteries do NOT last as long.

I upgraded to the Uberkernel and can run at 800mhz, but still the battery life is not as good as the "F105" kernel.

Can't wait for F105 to be available for 1.4.5 on Sprint.

dld121
    it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by dld121 View Post
    I am on Sprint, and before the upgrade I was running the F105 Thunderchief kernel at 1000mhz with NO problems! My battery live was great!

I removed the kernel prior to my Sprint Update to 1.4.5 and then found my phone was a DOG. As expected, because it runs at 500mhz and I was at 1000mhz.

1.4.5 seems to use much more power, batteries do NOT last as long.

I upgraded to the Uberkernel and can run at 800mhz, but still the battery life is not as good as the "F105" kernel.

Can't wait for F105 to be available for 1.4.5 on Sprint.

dld121
    Yes, as the other poster said, it is available. There was no need to uninstall it, either, to begin with. If you read the information, as you are supposed to, all kernels are OTA update compatible. You'd have just had to update it, after you were done with 1.4.5 update.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    And on an additional note, Uberkernel now goes up to 1ghz.
    I am a newbie, but my battery life is dismal...
    What is this "F105 Thunderchief kernel" that may help? Is it available via the Pre Apps Catalog?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    And on an additional note, Uberkernel now goes up to 1ghz.
    i just installed Uber+Govnah a few days ago - max is 800. where\how can i get it to 1ghz?

Thanks!
    For those of you looking to extend you battery life, there is already a thread about it.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html

As for the original question, I'm going to be doing some testing tomorrow to see how much of an improvement was made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnikle View Post
    I am a newbie, but my battery life is dismal...
    What is this "F105 Thunderchief kernel" that may help? Is it available via the Pre Apps Catalog?
    Thanks
    NO! This is an experimental kernel and if you do not know what it is or where to get it, you are not ready to use it.

They can, sometimes, cause issues with your phone and do void your warranty.

If you want to overclock you should stick with the stable release of Uberkernel and Govnah, both of which are available in Preware!
    There are some thinks to consider:
    1. It's known that after an update the readings from the battery may get inaccurate. This should be corrected after some complete discharge and charge circles.
    2. It's also known that after an update there may some processing going on. AfaikAfaikAfaik $the$ $reason$ $webos$-$internals$ $advice$ $you$ $to$ $wait$ $some$ $days$ $after$ $doctoring$ $before$ $installing$ $oc$ $kernels$. $There$ $is$ $a$ $thread$ $showing$ $you$ $a$ $backup$ $process$ $running$ $wild$.
    3. Your battery looses capacity over time. Check the capacity you have left.
    4. I think it would be hard to tell what change in the code is doing what mA saving.
    5. And there is our friend placebo. You have to belief ;-)