Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Hello Everyone

I was hoping someone can enlighten me on the prospect of owning a Palm Pre or Pixi outside of Europe and US in regards to the App Store specifically

Do we still gain access to some kind of app store? What about OS upgrades? Can they be done

Thanks for your help

I am loving both the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus at the moment and honestly do not know which one to go for
    If it is activated in the country it is from then you have app store access, and you can manually upgrade the OS via meta-doctor
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    hmm .. i guess what i could do is have the phone sent to my brother who lives in the uk have him activate it there and then send it over to me

maybe that will work .. does that mean i will have access to the UK app store
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon77 View Post
    hmm .. i guess what i could do is have the phone sent to my brother who lives in the uk have him activate it there and then send it over to me

maybe that will work .. does that mean i will have access to the UK app store
    That would be ideal, but you would still need a uk credit card or someone willing to let you use theirs to purchase apps. One question though what country are you in? Some countries are blocked.

Pip
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    ah man .. the credit card might be an issue ..

btw does it make a difference if the phone is activated in UK, Germany, Spain etc? do you get a different app store for each country

i live in Dubai .. i didnt realise there is a chance the phone might be blocked in some countries .. as the networks here usually support GSM 3G phones such as android and i phones ..
    ah man .. the credit card might be an issue ..

btw does it make a difference if the phone is activated in UK, Germany, Spain etc? do you get a different app store for each country

i live in Dubai .. i didnt realise there is a chance the phone might be blocked in some countries .. as the networks here usually support GSM 3G phones such as android and i phones ..
    You will get the app cat for the country that you activate it in. So UK will prob be the best for english apps.
    The phone won't be blocked from using, just the app cat if you live in certain countries. Hopfully someone will be able to tell us what those countries are.

If you buy a UK pre, then you will have to unlock it. That's about 30 I think.

Pip
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    thanks for the info mate

do you recommend going for a factory unlocked german phone or a UK phone that i would have to unlock myself?
    Pretty sure the German phones have a QWERTZ keyboard rather than an English GWERTY so I would recommend English
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    are the phones from O2 easy to unlock?

the form of the pixi is simple and beautiful, but i guess the pre has more going for it under the hood it would make no sense choosing the pixi over it
    are the phones from O2 easy to unlock?

the form of the pixi is simple and beautiful, but i guess the pre has more going for it under the hood it would make no sense choosing the pixi over it
    I don't unlock myself. But there has been plenty of people on this forum who have managed to do. They use the jic unlock client, I can see if I can get the thread for you to take a look at.

Pip
    Try some of these threads for some more info, the first one has the mextgen link in the second or third post
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-gsm-sims.html

Actually here is the link you want:
    Nextgen Server Home of Remote Phone Unlock, Treo, Blackberry Unlock Code Server, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, USB Modem, Unlock your cell phone to any network in real time online.

But also read that thread because it's to do with a uk pre

Pip
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    cheers mate thanks for your help