1.    #1  
    So, I work in the middle of nowhere and my Sprint signal is always 2 or 3 bars. However, when I make phone calls sometimes it goes down to 1 or drops the phone call. Now, what I've found out over the months that I've used my touchstone is that if I answer phone calls from it, I never drop a phone call and I always keep 2 or 3 bars.

What is going on here?
    I think the signal is stronger when it is on the touchstone because it is using more power to improve the signal and because it is on the touchstone it doesn't care how much power it consumes. However, when it is not on the touchstone or AC adapter it probably goes on battery save mode and it doesn't try as hard to get a better signal because the battery will drain faster.

This is from my observations, but I haven't done any formal testing. What do you guys think?
    The Pre usually gets better signal when its not being touched.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    The Pre usually gets better signal when its not being touched.
    Just like the iPhone, eh?
    Just checked mine on the Touchstone. No change still shows three bars at the house either way.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    Just checked mine on the Touchstone. No change still shows three bars at the house either way.
    You have to make a phone call to see the difference. If you just leave it idle there is not going to any difference.
    Or just hold the phone and browse the Internet, text or something.
    I live in a house that is "covered" by three towers - that is, the Sprint tower doesn't really penetrate my house (have to go up the street, otherwise, it's a touch and go experience between no service and one bar), an Alltel tower that kind of does (the Pre will sit on it roaming at zero to two bars - but really crappy coverage), and a Verizon tower that will give me four bars (but the Pre won't roam on it as long as it can pretend to have signal on the Alltel tower).

From my experience, the Pre on the Touchstone will appear to have a more constant signal...until you use it. For example, it will indicated that is EV roaming on two bars, but if you try to pull up a website, it will go down to 1x roaming with zero to one bars. I can get a call with it on there, but the call is still hard to hear and basically moments away from dropping out, which is basically the same as in other areas of my house. So, I would not say the signal is better...just that it is better at pretending to be better.

(Incidently, anyone know of a PRL that drops Alltel so I can roam on Verizon...I suspect the phone is trying to roam on Alltel because Sprint has a 3G roaming agreement with them and only 1x on Verizon, but I have wifi at my house, so I don't need Altltel's 3G...I need a better signal.)
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Where do keep your Touchstone, on the roof?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    So, I work in the middle of nowhere and my Sprint signal is always 2 or 3 bars. However, when I make phone calls sometimes it goes down to 1 or drops the phone call. Now, what I've found out over the months that I've used my touchstone is that if I answer phone calls from it, I never drop a phone call and I always keep 2 or 3 bars.

What is going on here?
    I think the signal is stronger when it is on the touchstone because it is using more power to improve the signal and because it is on the touchstone it doesn't care how much power it consumes. However, when it is not on the touchstone or AC adapter it probably goes on battery save mode and it doesn't try as hard to get a better signal because the battery will drain faster.

This is from my observations, but I haven't done any formal testing. What do you guys think?

i've experienced this as well in my house. if i use the phone just in my hands i always get dropped calls, but if im using a headset while on the touchstone i never get any, doesn't really bother me cause i hate talking without a headset