Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    And a new member to boot. I have been using a BlackBerry for nearly two years now--first a Pearl that I got in September of 2008, then a Storm that I got for a song last September. I grew increasingly tired of the BlackBerry's ho-hum user experience, and while the Pearl and Storm were both capable devices, they just didn't have the "wow" factor that I found myself craving recently.

After extensive research, then, I went to my local Verizon store on Tuesday and hooked myself up with the Pre Plus. My initial impressions are quite good. Despite the knocks the hardware seems to get from some, I think it's robust enough for my needs and the design is just as slick as it can be. The screen is vivid and bright...though I may be visiting the store again today as my example has some yellow blotching at the bottom of the display that may or may not be present in a different unit. (I've also read this phenomenon is use/heat related, which would make sense since I've been burnin' this baby up! )

The Pre Plus does pretty much everything my Storm could do, and in many cases better. As many of you know, BlackBerry's Browser is a thing of horror to behold, so the Pre Plus didn't have a very tall hurdle to jump but it makes it over with much room to spare. Integration with my Google mail, calendar and contacts was painless and effortless. The physical keyboard is taking some adjustment, but I'm getting better with it and in the long run will prefer it over the punk virtual SurePress keyboard on the Storm. The only thing my Storm has in aces versus the Pre Plus is its camera--MUCH better on the Storm than on the Pre Plus, which is equivalent to the Pearl I had, which is to say quite bad. I also enjoyed how the Storm handles mail with its enhanced Gmail plugin, grouping email messages into conversations as you would expect on Google's own website. If Palm can correct these deficiencies in a future WebOS and/or hardware update, they will have nailed this thing.

So while it's early in my Pre Plus experience, things are good so far and, provided the screen problem isn't a major dealbreaker, I plan on hanging around, learning and possibly even contributing something back at some point. Happy to be here everyone!

~Colby
    Welcome!
    Welcome to Precentral!
    Its nice to hear that you got a Palm Pre phone. Its a very powerful device, as expected and it's very customizable too. Work on getting Preware and Webos Quick Install first and then you can get into the goodies!

Here's a link to how to install Preware and Webos QI
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    Webos is a very slick phone OS. Out of its class. Its one of the most intuitive OS i've every used. Its offers slick and quick multi-tasking as opposed to what the competitors promise you. This means, you can use your calender while listening to your favorite band and also while playing a 3D game (compache support handles this for us, as of now).......ALSO, while chatting off on your aim messenger or whatever you have.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    welcome, you will like it here. Hands down the most awesome internet community, with some of the smartest people around....
    Welcome to the family Colby! Nothing but good times ahead.
    Follow Jason's advice and dig into reading the preware forum. If you are loving the device stock out of the box, just wait until you figure out all of the customizing that is possible with your new device!
    Also, if you ever consider overclocking that bad boy.It all depends on you. If you feel the phone is fast enough, then you dont need to. But if you want to live on the edge, you can try the Uberkernel (800MHZ), F105 Thunderbird (1005MHZ), SR71 BlackBird at an AMAZINGLY FAST 1200MHZ.Both kernels were made possible by the one and only unixpsycho. All this of course are at your own discretion.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Welcome, what you now own is an Amazing Device that many people under rate. However the Pre + is a amazing piece of both Software (Webos) and it's Hardware.

Here in this Community ull find information to any questions you may have and we are willing to help.

Welcome and Enjoy The Webos Community.

Webos 2nd to None
  8. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Get thee some Preware (if you haven't already).

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

There is an overclocking kernel (Uberkernel) available through the default (non-testing) feeds that will get you to 800MHz (vs stock 500MHz), should you feel the need for speed.

Uberkernel is controlled by an application called Govnah. Without Govnah, Uberkernel will behave just like the stock kernel.

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

Uberkernel is the only overclocking kernel available in the "public" Preware feeds. It is considered stable enough for the general public, but does not come without standard warnings when pushing a device beyond its intended limits. Should you desire to risk your phone and become an alpha tester of kernels and applications, there are testing feeds that can be added to Preware. These come with very serious warnings, and should not be entered into lightly. The stable Uberkernel will do wonders for your Pre's responsiveness, and most folks should see no reason to go beyond what has been released to the public (default) feeds.

There are also hundreds of patches to make your phone customized just the way you like it. All this wonderful stuff is free, and can only remain so through donations from appreciative users. Rod Whitby's signature has a link to donate to WebOS Internals who have brought us Preware, Uberkernel (written by Unixpsycho, packaged and distributed through WebOS Internals), and Govnah, as well as many other useful patches and applications.

Patches and Homebrew apps found in the Preware feeds were written by various folks, some of whom accept donations towards future development.

HINT: Don't confuse WebOS Internals with Jason Robitaille's amazing file manager application, InternalZ. Jason's "company" is Canuck Software, and is a separate entity entirely from WebOS Internals.

(My apologies if you know all this already.)
    Colby,

Welcome to the P|C forums, webOS, and your new addictions!

As GHT mentions above, once you install Preware on your device you will be even more amazed with this device. Congratulations on your new purchase! Hopefully you will see why Palm users are so excited by webOS!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    @JasonBlack:

I definitely will be getting Quick Install and Preware on my phone this evening. I'm thinking I might go ahead and overclock with UK as well. Good stuff!

I actually had a good multitasking moment already with my phone. Had my Wi-Fi going early this morning, one of my associates called and needed some directions. I put him on speakerphone, shuffled the cards to Google Maps, found what he needed and everything was well. Incredibly slick and smooth...I could never have done this on my Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceNC View Post
    @JasonBlack:

I definitely will be getting Quick Install and Preware on my phone this evening. I'm thinking I might go ahead and overclock with UK as well. Good stuff!

I actually had a good multitasking moment already with my phone. Had my Wi-Fi going early this morning, one of my associates called and needed some directions. I put him on speakerphone, shuffled the cards to Google Maps, found what he needed and everything was well. Incredibly slick and smooth...I could never have done this on my Storm.
    Yeah, get in on the goodies made possible by all the wonderful develops and im sure you wont be disappointing if you go ahead and overclock. I'm running the F105 Thunderbird by Unix and i have to admit that my Pre is FLYING!
    The Pre does make multi-tasking less of a hassle. No other phone i know does it better than the Pre. Im usually playing a 3D game(Still trying to beat Hawx) and looking stuff up on digloo. The only dissapointing thing is that the phone gets really hot sometimes.

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    @GHT

Brilliant, more than I could have hoped for and, no, I knew none of that already.
    Good to have you with us - I've been with the Pre since day one, and am still finding things that it can do that I never realized.

I love being able to simply start typing and have it bring up the Contact/Application/Google search on its own.

I love being able to bring up a Contact, and either tap to call, SMS, or get an instant GPS to their house!

I love being able to find out the lowest gas prices in my area (WHERE App).

I love having my address book, calendar, Bible, mileage account, games, GPS, notebook, and everything else right in the PALM of my hand!

Don't be afraid to ask questions - there are some "trolls" lurking who will complain about anything, but there are enough good people here to help you find answers.