1.    #1  
    well I just got off the phone with sprint. I told them how my external speaker is going out just like the last time. It is all scratchy and not very loud. They told me since I could not take it to the store. That if there warehouse finds that it is my fault then they would charge me the price of the new phone. I have a broken usb cover and have the crack by it on the top cover. I did not drop it. not sure how the crack got there? Do you think I have to worry about them charging me?
    Are you blasting the speaker at full power all the time? I have never had this issue at all.

Speakers are speakers and they can blow if overpowered.

Why can't you take it to the store? Let the tech's there figure it out. If they can't you will probably have to go through insurance. ($100 deductible)

Good luck.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #3  
    I don't listen to the music through this speaker. I plug it into externals. I do keep my ringer up on high so I can hear it. I did not have to use insurance last time but, I did not have the usb crack that I have now. If I can't have the ringer up all the way or it blows the speaker, then what good is it?
  4.    #4  
    Also if I go to the store they will take 2 hours to tell me that my speaker is blown. then they will take my phone until the replacement arrives. This will leave me with no phone at all. Then the drive to and from both times, to take it there then pick up the new one. I don't like the service I receive at the stores either.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleprettyman View Post
    I don't listen to the music through this speaker. I plug it into externals. I do keep my ringer up on high so I can hear it. I did not have to use insurance last time but, I did not have the usb crack that I have now. If I can't have the ringer up all the way or it blows the speaker, then what good is it?
    I guess it really depends on your ringer. If you have a bass heavy song as your ringtone I could see that blowing the speaker. Ringtones with a lot of high notes are better because you can hear them better in general so you don't need to turn the ringer up so much.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleprettyman View Post
    Also if I go to the store they will take 2 hours to tell me that my speaker is blown. then they will take my phone until the replacement arrives. This will leave me with no phone at all. Then the drive to and from both times, to take it there then pick up the new one. I don't like the service I receive at the stores either.
    Yes waiting at the Sprint store sucks. But if you want your phone fixed for free this is probably the best way. If they need to order you a replacement, you can tell them you need your phone so you are keeping it with you. The speaker being blown isn't preventing the phone from being a phone. You can swap the phone out when the replacement comes.

The tech's might be able to install a new speaker in your existing phone, since they seem to be able to do more work on them now. During launch they weren't allowed to open them up to fix them. They had to send them in for a swap.

They might try and blame the speaker being blown on you somehow. Just hold your ground. Don't let them try and blame the speaker problem on the small crack. These are unrelated.

Hope this helps.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    The speaker went bad on my Pre+ which I used for only the ringer, speakphone, and occasional video.

Went to Verizon and all the rep did was check for water damage and said they didn't hae any so they would send a refurb to my house with 2 day shipping.
  7.    #7  
    I was not aware they could not get into the phone and fix it before. Maybe they couldn't do that last time this happened. The sprint operator said if it was something they could fix at the store, they would charge me. I hope this is not the case. I would hate to close my sprint account of 10 years over this.
    Pretty common problem. I'm on my 6th (or 7th I can't keep track) with all of them having this problem. All I ever did was go to the Sprint store and tell them what the problem was. Soetimes they tested, sometimes not. Everytime they just order me another refurb. Hope this helps!
  9.    #9  
    Thanks Orion, I was hoping it was a common deal and, not just me.
    I just bought a Pre on the cheap off eBay, and this is the only thing thats wrong with it.

Everything else is perfect, so I can't really complain. Its just an annoyance. Good thing I always carry one of (bummer, can't post links yet, take out the spaces) thinkgeek . com / electronics / portable-audio-video / c02a /

For $10, plus the fact of how well it fits in your pocket or on a keychain it can't be beat. Plus its easier than getting it swapped or if you don't have a warranty.