1.    #1  
    With 18 pages of chatter already, with the new OS update, can one of you smart people, post a nice easy step by step, as to the best, easiest, safest way to go about getting this update?

What to keep, what to remove, what to expect, and what remedies are availbie for the "what ifs" and in what order?

Then leave it as a sticky for us less smart ones

Thank you in advance all you wonderful Devs and other smart people
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

A Ten Steps Program

1. If you use a theme, get it off.
    2. If you use UberKernel, keep it on.
    3. Patches for the most part are safe; the only ones that aren't are the ones touching multiple files. There's a thread specifying the handful of patches that do need to be taken off. Most people won't need to uninstall any patches.
    4. Update app. Tap Update.
    5. ...
    6. Profit
    7. In Preware, update your feeds, and you should be presented with updates for every patch (and kernel) you had installed. Hit update all.
    8. Put your Theme back on, if applicable.
    9. Restart.
    10. Done.

Did I miss something?
    Basically:
    Uninstall theme,
    Uninstall Kernal (just in case)
    Update
    I went the safe route... which I don't think takes any longer than the other ways.

1. If you have patches, open preware and update the saved package list in the dropdown menu
    2. Using preware, search for and run the "emergency patch recovery" tool. This will remove all of your patches.
    NOTE: I had to manually remove the kernel I was running
    3. Download and install the palm update
    4. Open preware and the saved package list and hit "install all"
    - Even if you had to manually uninstall a kernel it will still get installed in this step
    5. You are done!!

By "safe route" I am mainly referring to lazy. This way I didn't have to look for and worry about any patches that might not be compatible with the update.
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 08/11/2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: I'm good at english
    Doctor your phone back to 1.4.1.1
    Run the update
    reinstall preware
  6.    #6  
    Anyone out there who can Sticky This?

TIA
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    A Ten Steps Program

1. If you use a theme, get it off.
    2. If you use UberKernel, keep it on.
    3. Patches for the most part are safe; the only ones that aren't are the ones touching multiple files. There's a thread specifying the handful of patches that do need to be taken off. Most people won't need to uninstall any patches.
    4. Update app. Tap Update.
    5. ...
    6. Profit
    7. In Preware, update your feeds, and you should be presented with updates for every patch (and kernel) you had installed. Hit update all.
    8. Put your Theme back on, if applicable.
    9. Restart.
    10. Done.

Did I miss something?
    This one's probably the most accurate so far.
    Things to highlight here (i.e., things missing from the other responses):
    - You should remove the patches that are mentioned in this thread: ATTENTION: Patches that MUST be removed prior to OTA update
    - To be safe, you should remove anything that was not installed via Preware or the App Catalog
    - Updating your Preware feeds after the OTA update is essential for continued use of Preware

I'd really like to see an easy-to-find, well-organized, step-by-step guide from one of the WebOS Internals devs (if one doesn't exist already), especially for users who don't have time to sift through the forums.
    (Maybe if someone posts something outrageously wrong here - one of those guys will respond to this thread )
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    This one's probably the most accurate so far.
    Things to highlight here (i.e., things missing from the other responses):
    - You should remove the patches that are mentioned in this thread: ATTENTION: Patches that MUST be removed prior to OTA update
    - To be safe, you should remove anything that was not installed via Preware or the App Catalog
    - Updating your Preware feeds after the OTA update is essential for continued use of Preware

I'd really like to see an easy-to-find, well-organized, step-by-step guide from one of the WebOS Internals devs (if one doesn't exist already), especially for users who don't have time to sift through the forums.
    (Maybe if someone posts something outrageously wrong here - one of those guys will respond to this thread )
    You forgot to mention to use save/restore to back up Preware feeds and saved package list, and copy the usb partition to the pc, just in case something goes wrong.

I don't see why we can't, as a community, come up with the necessary steps, get an agreed version and get it stickied somewhere. Sqyarc did start a good one but it is a little out dated now. See here.

Pip
    This thread is getting close to you're asking for: Official WebOS 1.4.5 New Features and Changes
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    You forgot to mention to use save/restore to back up Preware feeds and saved package list, and copy the usb partition to the pc, just in case something goes wrong.
    Good point! The Pre Backup Utility has been a life-saver for me in the past, along with the Save/Restore. Here's good article describing both apps: Understanding the Homebrew Save/Restore App
    make sure you run EFF if updating to 1.4.5 not 1.4.5.1
    Can you describe why that's necessary?