Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi.

I currently have an HTC Desire with Android on it but just bought a Palm Pre that is on it's way.

I want to take my contacts, calendar and sms/text messages with me.

Contacts and calendar items is no problem since I sync those with Google and the Palm Pre can do that as well.

The main problem is the text messages. How do I transfer them from my Android phone to my new Palm Pre?

Also, does an application exist for the Palm Pre that can do daily backup of text messages, contacts and calendar?
    there should be an android app to export txt mssgs. Not sure there is a method to import them to messaging client on webos, but they should be readable as a txt file.

there are many autobackup options for webos.

there is at least one in preware for txt messages. I haven't tried it but I remember seeing it.

welcome!
  3.    #3  
    I already have my Android doing daily backups.

But the problem is getting them into the Pre?
    Where is your e-mail and calendar data now? Exchange? Other?

Contacts and calendar will import/sync directly to the phone via your Google/Yahoo/Windows Live accounts.

As for text messages I'm not sure there is a way to copy Android SMS to webOS.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  5.    #5  
    I have my contacts, calendar and e-mail all at Google. So they can all be synced with no problem.

The problem is my text messages. They cannot be synced with Google and pulled on the Pre.
    And I really want to backup those too and continue where I left off, on the Pre.
    I think you may need to take the "they are only text messages" approach and abandon them.

or....start here and insert old SMS into the Pre SMS database one message at a time???
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I think you may need to take the "they are only text messages" approach and abandon them.

or....start here and insert old SMS into the Pre SMS database one message at a time???
    I will not abandon them

There are thousands and thousands of messages going back to my Windows Mobile days, then Android and now the Pre.

Since it is SQLite I might be able to write a tool in C# to convert the messages and insert them into the database.

Will need to have a look at how Android stores them, extract and maybe convert, then insert into the Pre's database.
    Should be doable, but will have to wait until I get my Pre.
    thousands & thousands of texts? Why would you possible keep those? nostalgia? ;-)
    i delete txts immediately.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/11/2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Language on appropriate for PG13 forum
    If you end up successful and or write an app for it make sure to let us know. There are others with the same problem I'm sure.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    If you end up successful and or write an app for it make sure to let us know. There are others with the same problem I'm sure.
    Of course I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    thousands & thousands of texts? Why would you possible keep those? nostalgia? ;-)
    Me too. However some people like to collect them for whatever reason. Enough people that should Amplificator find a solution he will be a popular dude.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    I used to do the same and delete messages as soon as I sent them, then ever since the introduction of threaded messaging I kept them so I could go back if I needed to catch up on a conversation.

Before that all messages where placed as their own item, making it impossible to keep track. So I just deleted them back there.

But with threaded mesasging you can keep track of conversations so I like to keep them. I just started backing up daily and restoring as I went along.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    You're abandoning the HTC Desire? oO
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    You're abandoning the HTC Desire? oO
    Indeed.

It became too generic too far.
    It's great and all, no problems really.. I just need a change and have always wanted a Palm Pre.

Recently got hold on a Danish keyboard from Shura in here.. Modified it a bit and now there's Danish on the keyboard. So there's no holding me from a Palm Pre now
  15.    #15  
    I have made a bit of progress.

I have created a small application in C# using an ADO.NET SQLite wrapper that will open the Android messaging database and it works fine.

I will also give the user the choice of using adb to automatically transfering the the Android SQLite database to the computer or provide one yourself in case you have extracted it yourself.

I can't continue without having an actual Palm Pre database to see the layout and differences between various types of messaging.
    The emulator just doesn't do it in this case since I can't even receive texts using it.

If someone wants to provide me with a few databases from their phone I might be able to do some more work during the weekend.
    Send me a PM if you want to help out and I will tell you what to do.
    Why in the world would anyone want to transfer their texts from one phone to the other?
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
    If you can create an app to export/import text messages between Andriod/iOS/WebOS...I think you would make a lot of money!! I definitely would be interested in an app like this! Good luck!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    If you can create an app to export/import text messages between Andriod/iOS/WebOS...I think you would make a lot of money!! I definitely would be interested in an app like this! Good luck!
    I don't plan on making money off of the software I create.
    Everything I have created in the past was free and so will this, if I finish it.

For now this is going to be from Android to WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amplificator View Post
    If someone wants to provide me with a few databases from their phone I might be able to do some more work during the weekend.
    Send me a PM if you want to help out and I will tell you what to do.
    Good luck! I'll be surprised if you an pull this off. There's a group called webOS internals who has made an app called Save/Restore and they won't even restore SMS messages backed up from the Pre. The best they an do is put them in an html file you an browse on your PC. Something about the synergy database being so integrated that the risk of corrupting it is too high.

If you listen to the latest Palmcast, Rod Whitby (rwhitby on this forum) from webOS Internals spends a few minutes explaining this.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/11/2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Not Roger, Rod
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Good luck! I'll be surprised if you an pull this off. There's a group called webOS internals who has made an app called Save/Restore and they won't even restore SMS messages backed up from the Pre. The best they an do is put them in an html file you an browse on your PC. Something about the synergy database being so integrated that the risk of corrupting it is too high.

If you listen to the latest Palmcast, Roger Whitby (rwhitby on this forum) from webOS Internals spends a few minutes explaining this.
    I might be able to take a look at that and already have a possible solution in mind.
    It's a thought for now but I should actually be able to try it out using the emulator since I don't have my Palm Pre yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast