Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm having a problem that is apparently endemic. I have (successfully?) installed WebOS Quick Install and the Doctor on my laptop. I have the Palm 'Developer Mode in the 'On' position. I have attempted to follow the instructions to the letter at: http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes. I opened up Quick Install. I have a the Palm connected to the Laptop via USB. I selected one of the Homebrew apps - something dealing with battery status. Highlighted the app. Clicked Install. First message indicated that Quick Install couldn't find the Palm - or some such. Did a retry. The Connecting to the Device window is open and frozen... I cannot close it. Don't know what to look for in Task Mgr. to force close. This is the second time this has happened. I have been forced to simply do a restart.

I thought maybe I should uninstall the WebDoctor and WebOS Quick Install thinking they may be corrupt. Problem with that is they don't show up either in the super duper Revo Uninstaller program or the one native to Win7. What's a guy to do?

I also am flailing around trying to get the quick install to work with the "No Device Found" error.

I'm using Vista on an Acer laptop, and I just upgraded to WebOS 1.4.5, could that be the problem? I put the Pre in Developer mode (webos20090606 magic string to find it), so that it says "Developer Mode...On" at the top of the screen. I tried it both waysj (on/off) to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding the state.

I have the webOSDoctor.jar and WebOSQuickInstall.jar in the same directory.
    I have the latest java installed AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $just$ $upgraded$ $it$ $yesterday$.
    I double-click the QuickInstall JAR file, it starts up.
    I go to File|Options, the "allow" box is unchecked, and I "Attempt Novacom...".
    I get the DOS screen which says "Waiting for service to stop", then "Service Removed".
    Then after the "Novacom" dialog box is responsive again, I close it.
    Then I click on "Install" in the Quick Install window (I asked for filecoaster), and I get the dreaded "Error: No device found." error.
    Then it sits there with the "Connecting to device" spinning window forever, I have to use the task manager to kill the process.

I've tried different USB ports, Vista reboot, etc., but it always says no device found.

I did not try this before I upgraded to 1.4.5 last night, could it be that this new release broke something?

Any other ideas?

[rmcarner - if you start task manager, use 'Applications' tab, look for "WebOS Quick Install" and kill it. Also, I think there's no real 'install' so they won't appear in your installed program list. There's just the two .JAR files and you can just delete and re-download if you suspect corruption. However, it sounds like they run for you, and if they were corrupted, I suspect they wouldn't even start up.]
    Last edited by paulkinzelman; 08/12/2010 at 06:12 PM.
    restart both, pre and lap top
    EOM
  4.    #4  
    =paulkinzelman;2604454]I also am flailing around trying to get the quick install to work with the "No Device Found" error.
    Snip..

rmcarner - if you start task manager, use 'Applications' tab, look for "WebOS Quick Install" and kill it. Also, I think there's no real 'install' so they won't appear in your installed program list. There's just the two .JAR files and you can just delete and re-download if you suspect corruption. However, it sounds like they run for you, and if they were corrupted, I suspect they wouldn't even start up.]
    Glad, I'm not the only one having this problem.... Yes. I finally figure out what task to stop using Task Mgr.

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    When you plug the pre into the laptop, do you but it into usb mode or just charge?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ltlruss View Post
    When you plug the pre into the laptop, do you but it into usb mode or just charge?
    Charge. As per the instructions.
    The problem isn't the phone, it's a driver on the computer that's not install. If you're still having problem, try updating all your drivers.

Best of luck.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    The problem isn't the phone, it's a driver on the computer that's not install. If you're still having problem, try updating all your drivers.

Best of luck.
    Okay. But, there are a ton of drivers on Win7. Where does a guy start?
    When the pre is hooked up and you have quickinstall running go to the tweaks section i think its under tools and just let it download and update until its at a normal function then close the tweaks and try it
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    When the pre is hooked up and you have quickinstall running go to the tweaks section i think its under tools and just let it download and update until its at a normal function then close the tweaks and try it
    Hooked up? Not sure what you mean by that. I once got hooked up with a girl via a blind date. Didn't work out. I don't see anything in the Launcher called 'tools'. I see an Updates icon. What tweaks are you referring to? Your dealing with a guy who wrote a doctoral dissertation. This is more difficult by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcarner View Post
    Hooked up? Not sure what you mean by that. I once got hooked up with a girl via a blind date. Didn't work out. I don't see anything in the Launcher called 'tools'. I see an Updates icon. What tweaks are you referring to? Your dealing with a guy who wrote a doctoral dissertation. This is more difficult by far.
    ok, when you have your pre connected to your computer and you have webosquickinstall running, on quickinstall there is a tools dropdown menu at the top, under there i think there should be something called tweaks, click on it and let it install any packages it needs and just keep clicking ok for it then when it is finished exit out of the tweaks window and try what you wanted

btw you didnt have to be a smart *** Im trying to help...
    I'm sure rmcarner didn't mean any harm, I thought his comment was a clever joke. :-)

I tried Tools | Tweaks and it says "No Device Detected". The Pre is plugged in (tried several USB ports), and if I say "USB" to the Pre (instead of ' charging'), I can look at some of the file structure as a hard drive so the USB port/cable is working.

I looked a posting elsewhere (thanks rush) concerning "Windows Driver Package-Palm(WinUSB) Palm Devices", and it's not in my installed program list. But I also can't find a real link to where I can find it to install. But isn't the driver already present considering the Pre works in USB mode?
    restart
    EOM
    Still having problems myself, I've tried all the suggestions on this site so far except reloading all the drivers. It's a real PITA, it's like a hanging fruit ya can't get to. Worst part is everyone says it's great...LOL

Anyone else have any idea's or had the same issues then finally got it resolved?

Ah and I'm running 64 bit XP....yes I've tried both versions of JAVA 32 and 64, with one without the other, rebooted....
    Interesting, I tried installing it on another Vista laptop (SP1, my other one is SP2), and when I plug in the Pre, it wants to install 4 drivers:
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    Novacom
    Palm Pre USB Device

However, it stalls on the Novacom device and it can't find it.

But I can still select USB on the Pre and Windows Explorer can look at it.

It's possible that the Novacom driver didn't install on my SP2 system either and I didn't notice. Can somebody point me to where I can find the driver so I can try manually installing it?

I did some searching and got to:
    [grrrrr - won't let me post a URL - on precentral forums, #195043]
    but that forum entry over a year old and is for Windows-7. Does that apply to Vista?
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    ok, when you have your pre connected to your computer and you have webosquickinstall running, on quickinstall there is a tools dropdown menu at the top, under there i think there should be something called tweaks, click on it and let it install any packages it needs and just keep clicking ok for it then when it is finished exit out of the tweaks window and try what you wanted

btw you didnt have to be a smart *** Im trying to help...
    I do appreciate your help. I meant no offense. Nor did I mean in anyway to suggest that you were not trying to help me solve this issue.

Regards,
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Sir, I am sorry, but I do not see a link.
    And just as an additional note, make sure you Pre is in developer mode!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Re: Portable devices error"This device cannot start code 10"Click to Expand / Collapse Quote originally posted by patto_78 ...
    Everytime I plug a device into a USB port on my laptop I get the following error"This device cannot start Code 10".I've tried updating the driver but it says I have the latest version.This only been happening for the last week,before that it was fine.Should I try uninstalling every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers hardware category in Device Manager as part of a driver reinstall.If so is it a matter of uninstalling them in device manager and restarting to reinstall them.I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    I had this error while attempting to read a usb flash drive.Try this, go to control panel, administrative tools, computer management, Disc management and see if your drive is present. Mine was but without an assigned drive letter. Find your drive, right click, you should have a menu box and one of the selections will be change/assign drive letter. Enter a drive letter and you should be good to go. One last step, the system may ask for you to restart the computer, if it does, preform the restart. That's it.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast