Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OK, back to the original question, maybe there's a driver missing even though the Pre can be seen as a hard drive with the standard drivers.

Where can I find the Novacom driver for Vista 32-bit, SP1? The SP1 Vista-32 system spins forever searching for the driver, and I don't find it anywhere with a search, tho a few threads allude to it.

Where can I find the "Windows driver package-palm(WinUSB) palm device" for the SP2 Vista-32 system so I can try installing this?

[BTW, rmcarner, you might want to change the title of this thread to "No device found" because that's the exact error message. It's very useful for people to be able to look up the correct error message rather than an approximation, which might in fact be an error elsewhere. It's also helpful for developers to have the exact (including the case) error so they can search their code and see what's going on.]
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkinzelman View Post
    Interesting, I tried installing it on another Vista laptop (SP1, my other one is SP2), and when I plug in the Pre, it wants to install 4 drivers:
    USB Composite Device
    USB Mass Storage Device
    Novacom
    Palm Pre USB Device

However, it stalls on the Novacom device and it can't find it.

But I can still select USB on the Pre and Windows Explorer can look at it.
    Me too! The two components talk to each other via the USB selection. I did a test and was able to import a file over to the Pre from the Laptop.

BTW, I was looking at a few videos and printed tutorials over on the WebOS Roundup dot come site. I noticed that when the instructor plugs in his Pre, he has 3 options available beginning with: 'Media Systems', USB Drive, & Just Charge. What ever happened to the 'Media Systems' option? Its not listed when I plug in my USB. I want my Media System option!

It's possible that the Novacom driver didn't install on my SP2 system either and I didn't notice. Can somebody point me to where I can find the driver so I can try manually installing it?
    Good question.

3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    And just as an additional note, make sure you Pre is in developer mode!
    It is sort of a PITA to have to type in the 'passcode' to get into the developer mode. Is there an icon that can me installed in the Launcher window? Or where can you find this mode other than typing in the phrase? Thanks.

4.    #24  
    OK, back to the original question, maybe there's a driver missing even though the Pre can be seen as a hard drive with the standard drivers.

Where can I find the Novacom driver for Vista 32-bit, SP1? The SP1 Vista-32 system spins forever searching for the driver, and I don't find it anywhere with a search, tho a few threads allude to it.

Where can I find the "Windows driver package-palm(WinUSB) palm device" for the SP2 Vista-32 system so I can try installing this?

[BTW, rmcarner, you might want to change the title of this thread to "No device found" because that's the exact error message. It's very useful for people to be able to look up the correct error message rather than an approximation, which might in fact be an error elsewhere. It's also helpful for developers to have the exact (including the case) error so they can search their code and see what's going on.]
    Done. ****
    Lets do this again. This time be specific. What are you trying to do? One step at a time.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Lets do this again. This time be specific. What are you trying to do? One step at a time.
    What I have trying to do from the very beginning of this topic, which was poorly name..
    1. Get Laptop and Palm Pre Plus to place nice in Charging Mode. Goal: install new applications and/or patches.

That's really it in a nutshell.
    Ok, follow all steps to the letter. Here we go. First: Put pre in developer mode... Type webos20090606. Then turn developer mode on, phone should reboot. Second: Make sure you have the latest java, webos quickinstall, and also novocomd on your PC.

Novocomd can be enable through webosQI. Preware should be download on to your phone using Quickinstall. You might get a prompt indicating that you need two other application downloaded in order to have preware run properly. Just tap yes, even if you get more than one error msgs. After having preware on your device, you can use preware to obtain patches/themes/kernel.

If your computer is not showing just charge or usb mode, then that mean your computer doesn't recognize your pre is connected to it. Palm pre driver is not enable.
  8.    #28  
    Ok, follow all steps to the letter. Here we go. First: Put pre in developer mode... Type webos20090606. Then turn developer mode on, phone should reboot. Second: Make sure you have the latest java, webos quickinstall, and also novocomd on your PC.
    You are one patient person! Okay... I attempted to follow your steps. I put pre in developer mode/turned on/connected to laptop/selected charging/opened up WebOS Quick Install/Selected an application to install/clicked Install/Got same message 'Failed to connect to device'/attempted to re-connect/'Connecting to Device' window opens up/Perpetual spinning of activity icon /attempt to close out of device/Device not responding/Have to go to Task Mgr. to shut down device.

Note: I have v.3.14
    Re-opened Quick Install. Went into Device Mgt. Saw prompt 'Please connect your device then hit Ok' 'No device detected' observed in top of window. Clicked 'cancel'. Went to File/Options. Device to use: USB Device highlighted. Clicked on 'Attempt Novacom (re)ins....Window pops up. Blue progress bar shoots across at around 80 mph. Window closes Back in Options window. Closed Options Window for lack of anything better to do.

Went to toolbar and opened Usage. Says Novacom installed.
    Says Developer mode enabled. Says, 'Just Charge'.

Went back to Install window. Highlighted an application - something to do with battery status - notification. Clicked Install. And away we went again. Program froze up.

BTW is there anyway of creating a Developer Icon in the Launcher window instead of every time having to type in the secret code to open it up? Very tiresome. Not that I am actually using the tool yet... but hope breathes eternal. Thanks for all of your help.

Preware should be download on to your phone using Quickinstall. You might get a prompt indicating that you need two other application downloaded in order to have preware run properly. Just tap yes, even if you get more than one error msgs. After having preware on your device, you can use preware to obtain patches/themes/kernel.
    Sorry, you lost me here. I haven't downloaded anything to the phone. Okay, I have the phone open. How do I download preware to the phone? I did not know this was a requirement - if of course, I am understanding you correctly. I really like this phone but in my opinion the world is full of people with attention deficit disorder (I am beginning to wonder if it isn't some sort of virus) and if this process does not at some point in time work rather seemlessly without jumping through all of these hoops then the future of this great OS and line of phones will be in doubt.

If your computer is not showing just charge or usb mode, then that mean your computer doesn't recognize your pre is connected to it. Palm pre driver is not enable.
    Whoa! I almost missed this part. Where would I find out on the laptop [/U]is[/U] showing 'just charge or usb mode? In the Quick Install tools somewhere? I know the USB mode works because when I switch to USB from Charge on the phone AutoPlay kicks in on the laptop with all of the usual options: open folders, import picts, and it has been assigned the letter (E

Quote Originally Posted by rmcarner View Post
    I do appreciate your help. I meant no offense. Nor did I mean in anyway to suggest that you were not trying to help me solve this issue.

Regards,
    Its all good
  10.    #30  

Novocomd can be enable through webosQI. Preware should be download on to your phone using Quickinstall. You might get a prompt indicating that you need two other application downloaded in order to have preware run properly. Just tap yes, even if you get more than one error msgs. After having preware on your device, you can use preware to obtain patches/themes/kernel.

Ok, follow all steps to the letter. Here we go. First: Put pre in developer mode... Type webos20090606. Then turn developer mode on, phone should reboot. Second: Make sure you have the latest java, webos quickinstall, and also novocomd on your PC

Success! The missing link was the Preware Installer v.1.1.jar. Once I installed that on the laptop everything fell into place. I was able to re-open the WebOs Quick Install. And, I was able from the PreCentral App Gallery Feed browse the list of applications and successfully import several of them to the device. Pretty cool!

Now, isn't there a place in this tool where you are supposed to look for patch updates? Plus, the Repository Viewer is loaded with different options in the scroll down: everything from 'PreCentral App Gallery Feed' to 'WebOS Internal Feed (Pre)' to 'Manage Custom Feeds'. Whats it all mean? Thanks once again.

****: I was told that I needed to have the SDK installed, do you have that installed? I'm speculating that you don't and you found the 'preware installer' JAR someplace and maybe that's what I need.

Right now I have:
    webOSDoctor.jar
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar

So probably all I need is the additional JAR plopped onto the same directory, and starting webOSQuickInstall.jar should work?
  12.    #32  
    ****: I was told that I needed to have the SDK installed, do you have that installed?
    Not me!
    I'm speculating that you don't and you found the 'preware installer' JAR someplace and maybe that's what I need.
    You have speculated correctly. When I found this; download this; ran this; went into development mode; tethered to the laptop; opened up Quick Install; I choked on my third vodka and tonic when I saw it was working. But don't ask me how I found it. I cannot recall anymore. Here is the link: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Right now I have:
    webOSDoctor.jar
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar

So probably all I need is the additional JAR plopped onto the same directory, and starting webOSQuickInstall.jar should work?
    Man, I love fielding questions for a change...The only place I am able to locate the webOSDoctor.jar is in the Win7 Download folder..I'm still trying to get used to the way Win7 is set up. Don't know if I ever will. For the WebOSQuickInstall I created a shortcut to the Desktop so it would be easily accessible.

Is there anything else you need to know about?
    Mr. ****.
    I was told that I needed to have the SDK installed. Paulkinzelman, who told you this?
  15.    #35  
    Is there anything else you need to know about?
    Mr. ****.
    Ohhhhhh Yeah. I comin' on with a new Topic: Copy, Cut, Paste here in short order.
    It is sort of a PITA to have to type in the 'passcode' to get into the developer mode. Is there an icon that can me installed in the Launcher window? Or where can you find this mode other than typing in the phrase? Thanks.

Hi ****,

Yes, you can add a Developer Mode icon to your launcher. You need to Open Preware/Available Applications/Patch/App Launcher/Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Ohhhhhh Yeah. I comin' on with a new Topic: Copy, Cut, Paste here in short order.
    Here is the video tutorial for copy/paste actions on the Pre.

To copy: place the cursor next to the text and while holding the 'Shift' key, swipe your finger across the screen in the direction of the text you want to copy. Once that text his highlighted - hold your finger in the gesture area and press 'C' to copy (a notification will verify the action).

To Paste: place the cursor in the area you want to paste the text. Hold your finger in the gesture area and press 'V' to paste. (a notification will verify the action)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/14/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    ****: I was told that I needed to have the SDK installed, do you have that installed? I'm speculating that you don't and you found the 'preware installer' JAR someplace and maybe that's what I need.

Right now I have:
    webOSDoctor.jar
    WebOSQuickInstall.jar

...The only place I am able to locate the webOSDoctor.jar is in the Win7 Download folder..I'm still trying to get used to the way Win7 is set up. Don't know if I ever will. For the WebOSQuickInstall I created a shortcut to the Desktop so it would be easily accessible.

There is no additional SDK needed for these to work.
    The .jar for the Doctor application must be placed in the same folder as the WOSQI app, and Repair Utility (if installed). The file explorer works the same in Win7 as it did in XP, so you can move the files the same way.
    I guess you now know, or have an idea on how to cut/copy and paste. What you can do is on the main page, there you'll see on the top the word (TIPS) tap on it.. and you'll see a lot of things that can be done on your phone.

Best of luck.

(Rush)
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi ****,

Yes, you can add a Developer Mode icon to your launcher. You need to Open Preware/Available Applications/Patch/App Launcher/Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Sorry. Open Preware where?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast