Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    I'm stuck with the same issue. I'd really rather not "visit the doctor" but I guess if I've gotta, I've gotta. These updates are never easy.
    does anyone know what the battery/power optimizations were that were included?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I was excited to get the update today. I was on vacation all week and had my e-mail account associated with my palm profile hacked. All my business contacts were spammed. The reason was, because I was in ROAMING, my security was compromised and someone was able to retrieve my password in the same way key-loggers can access your information. I changed my passwords AND my phone number to prevent further issues (as recommended by Sprint technical support). Today I ran the update as this was "supposedly" an issue covered in the recent update. Now the FUN part. I am a professional musician. Maybe I'm an ***** for doing so but I frequently rely on my phone to record "ideas" when I'm on-the-go. I'm not a hack, I actually get paid quite well to write music and with all my previous devices, I've never had this problem. I had several ideas on my stupid Pre that were new and I didn't have the opportunity to back-up yet (as I'd mentioned, I was on vacation).
    The update failed and I got the triangular logo with www.palm.com/ROM message. Not only are all my pictures from the vacation gone (amongst others that weren't backed up) but ALL MY SONG IDEAS ARE GONE!!!! I don't know if one of those could become a hit or not...I could have just lost millions of dollars because of a <blankety blank blank> update that failed!!!! Palm, you have disappointed me for the last time. If there is a way in heaven or in hell, I will find a way to sue you for this one. I've never had this problem EVER with ANY other device I've owned. This one just cost me a bundle.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/14/2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: posting around language filter
    If you cannot force your device into USB mode by pressing ALT+Sym+U while the phone is plugged into your computer, have you tried putting your phone into Recovery Mode at all?

1. Unplug the device and pull the battery.
    2. Hold the volume UP button while inserting the battery.
    3. Release the button when you get the large USB icon on screen.
    4. Plug the device into your computer and see if you can access the USB partition now.

You may be able to access the files you have yet. Worth a try...
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Damn Billbryan...I am scared to do anything to my phone or computer if I can't make a backup prior, especially if I keep important documents on it. Maybe not the greatest idea if you already knew you couldn't backup, and the update could have definitely waited . With anything electronic, nothing is ever guaranteed(unless it's sated somewhere, and then you can probably sue).

Have you tried to connect it to a computer as HelloNNNewman suggested?? The files might still be there somewhere. If you used Memos to write down music ideas, when you changed the phone number and profile login, it possibly made an automatic backup at least once of your profile along with the Memos, before you went roaming, so when you log in again after doctoring at home, hopefully at least those will come back. Definitely try the USB mode thing first before trying to use the webOS Doctor.
    Last edited by Solen; 08/14/2010 at 01:48 AM.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Maybe it's just my **** mood, but freakin really?????

Anyways, as said above I trust NO electronic device to anything worth 100's of dollars let alone the claimed potential millions. I would suggest in maybe purchasing a RIM device that not only can cloud sync your millions but also encrypt them..... I mean if you have that kinda money, not sure why you would use your phone and it's internal memory for ANYTHING worth ANYTHING worth that much value..... at the very least you should be using some kinda cloud service. Even old skool PalmOS devices couldn't protect you from device failure if it happened before backup..... actually NO device can protect you from that...... million dollar ideas/concept/talent/etc should be in at least 2 places (and as I am sure you know one should be a place that can prove date of conception to prove any copyright/trademark/etc infringement).

Sorry if anyone thinks that's too much, I am lacking sleep, and I find the whole blaming Palm a lil BS if you are carting around that kind of intellectual property.
    i dont know if this is just me but b4 1.4.5; i got a sprint btw, b4 1.4.5 i would have the most annoying but in my opinion, the one where u would turn on the pre and out of no where the screen goes black after a second. i would have to press the power button twice to turn it on completely. this would happen to be every day. now with 1.4.5 this hasnt happened to me since
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    No, but they claim that in every release.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i dont know if this is just me but b4 1.4.5; i got a sprint btw, b4 1.4.5 i would have the most annoying but in my opinion, the one where u would turn on the pre and out of no where the screen goes black after a second. i would have to press the power button twice to turn it on completely. this would happen to be every day. now with 1.4.5 this hasnt happened to me since

I agree it has been better even with all my patches and what not.... will have to check with the wife since she has much different usage patterns than I do my phone is usually slid open in use. So she would have the power button issue to wake the screen (didn't know it unless we were both home at the time she had the issue), I have seen it before but usually since my phone was or is being slid open it wakes with other things than the power button.... slide/keyboard/center button... But regardless the wake issues do seam to be better, and personally this is on a heavily patched, themed, etc Sprint Pre..... *knock on wood* never been doctored even after a couple them issues (fixed myself and the errors were my own).

SO yeah thus far I am more than happy with 1.4.5

Ohhh and forgot to mention Juan..... no hate here.... But the 10-11 champs will be in purple and gold. BTW, I rooted for your boys those years Shaq was there and the real champs didn't get there...... just saying, you are on my list to remind you when we three-peat again. It's all love brother, but the Yankees if nobody else have taught us you can't just buy rings..... If your folks make the finals I will be shocked (once again all in love for real), I think for a first season with all that "talent" (and ego's and mainly lack of depth) I think you may see some issues that Heat fans don't expect. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I agree it has been better even with all my patches and what not.... will have to check with the wife since she has much different usage patterns than I do my phone is usually slid open in use. So she would have the power button issue to wake the screen (didn't know it unless we were both home at the time she had the issue), I have seen it before but usually since my phone was or is being slid open it wakes with other things than the power button.... slide/keyboard/center button... But regardless the wake issues do seam to be better, and personally this is on a heavily patched, themed, etc Sprint Pre..... *knock on wood* never been doctored even after a couple them issues (fixed myself and the errors were my own).

SO yeah thus far I am more than happy with 1.4.5
    yes mine is themed and patched as well and b4 the update it would happen to me everyday, now with the new update it hasnt happened since, so im happy for it
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

what are the updates? whats new in this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    yes mine is themed and patched as well and b4 the update it would happen to me everyday, now with the new update it hasnt happened since, so im happy for it

WERD WERD! BTW, you might have missed my edited in comment when you quoted me.

I would notice it, but I mess with my phone so much thru the day that I rarely use the power button. My phone spends a decent amount of time USB plugged in thru the day and with the hard case it is slid open so I usually wake it with the button or touchscreen when I have seen it go off..... soon enough I will have my power cord so it is on TS at work as well as home. Either way, when it's on the TS at home I have the habit of leaving the slider open to I can use the keyboard without picking up for short entries.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post

If you've been around here for any length of time, you know this board is notable for boasting some of the world's foremost placebo addicts. Within moments of the latest update appearing, there were handfuls of people on the board posting unsubstantiated gibberish like "my phone's much spiffier now!" These people are still so enamored of their Pre's and so elated to be getting a "handout" from Palm that they're claiming to see things that don't exist.

I've had this update for a few days now and I've got the same lousy battery life I've always had. The phone's performance is basically identical to what it was prior to the update. Barring any weekend placebo binge, you're not going to notice a difference either.
    This person will not have a leg to stand on for a lawsuit. I am sure they can find a lawyer to file one, after all, you can sue anyone for anything nowadays. However, since Palm has never issued any explicit guarantees on the safety of any information you store in your device and profile, as well as the fact that everyone is generally informed that data should be backed up elsewhere, it will go nowhere in the court system.

Seems to me that this is just someone looking for an excuse to file a suit and try to make those 'millions' they claim the ideas could have been worth.

It'd be just like having all of your stuff stored only in your computer, with no backups, suffering a hard drive failure and then trying to sue Microsoft or Apple when you lost it all. It's a no go!!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    If I want to overclock my pre does it matter if I update?
    Quote Originally Posted by jromero205 View Post
    No, Uberkernel is compatible with 1.4.5

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by jromero205 View Post
    You need to do some more reading before you think about overclocking...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You need to do some more reading before you think about overclocking...
    +1

The fact that they had to ask this is proof!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    +1

The fact that they had to ask this is proof!
    Verwon will you marry me? Hehe

Anyways wheres the update for vz at? anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Downloading now as well. Northeast Florida.
    How do you go about downloading it to the device?
    Thanks.