1.    #1  
    I haven't been in a hurry to replace my old 680, except Blazer has become practically useless and everything else is pretty slow -- I was using an unlocked unit, which has held up pretty well

I found something about HP's online wireless store, which led me to Welcome to Cellstores.com -- which lo and behold is offering the Pre Plus *free* with an AT&T contract extension -- which is a sight better deal than the $99 AT&T's site & store wants.

I may be calling them inside a week, and I guess I can ask them some questions, but maybe someone here has bought from them & knows what they're about:

1) any hidden gotchas? there's an $18 "one=time activation fee" which I think AT&T waives, and...

2) can't help wondering if the phone comes Touchstone-ready -- since they don't offer a Touchstone as part of the accessory options, I'm thinking they'll ship one as well, but I guess I can wait to talk to an operator about it.

I must say, am pretty well set on getting a Pre Plus, I just wish I didn't have to anticipate spending a few weeks tweaking it to my liking.
  2.    #2  
    took the plunge, splurged the $21.72 for overnight FedEx, we'll see
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield View Post

I must say, am pretty well set on getting a Pre Plus, I just wish I didn't have to anticipate spending a few weeks tweaking it to my liking.
    But that's where the fun is!
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    i got mine in the mail 2 days ago ordering direct from HP. linked from the Palm pre site and got a new phone for free (plus s&H).
    i've been doing all sorts of fun stuff already with preware.
    love it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Zach0124 was yours a at&t phone??
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    yeah, for AT&T.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Carriers subsidize phones considerably because of the additional money from data charges. HP is likely trying to spur sales with an even lower price.
    This is a common business practice with all sorts of things, not just cell phones.

It's called a "loss leader."

The idea is that they sell you something at a loss because it causes you to spend more money in the long run. With ATT, the "hidden gotcha" is the fact that they have terrible spotty coverage if you don't live in a metropolitan area, they have badly overworked networks in most major cities, and they have the worst smart phone rate plans in the country.

Ink jet printers are the same. The printers are often sold at retail for less than the cost of manufacturing, but the ink is sold at something like 10,000% markup.

The first well known loss leader was the original Gillette safety razor. The razors were sold at retail for less than half the cost of manufacturing, while the replacement blades were sold at insane mark-up. (You'll notice that Gillette still does this)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.