Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PF Graham View Post
    Hello! This guy /\ knows what he's talking about!

I have one more BASIC one that is killing me but Start New Thread button is nowhere to be found.
    Towards the top left of the relevant forum front page, there is a big green button that just says: New Thread
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Undo should be a gesture of some sort and relate to Every app possible.

It's a very basic function which saves loads of people alot of grief, fits in the 'Expect User Action before thought' (swiping cards before finding/pressing save), and when an app follows a proper command pattern, would be extremely simple.
    Wait, now that I think about it, no. It needs to be a common button, not a gesture.

I have to go fool with my boys so I'll be brief.

If I remember my UI design classes, there should never be one way to asking a question without the ability of answering the question in the negative in the same manner.

SO, if you have a DONE button, you must have a CANCEL button.

The idea of a Cancel gesture is contrary to the DONE button and therefore is not intuitive to the User - and thus, becomes one more barrier to obvious use / functionality (causing confusion to new users or seldom users).

OK, off to Mexican food for me and mine....

- Patrick
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    yup...0332 sounds right
    Hummm, are you sure? Cause I tried about fifty times and each time she says (in Spanish) "No, there is NO DAVID here!".

Personally, I don't believe her so I'm going keep trying.

THANKS for helping me remember that number!

- Patrick
    The development guidelines actually push for the back swipe to save all the information that's been changed. That's why if a developer wants to provide that functionality, they have to explicitly add it (like a button with "Discard changes").
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    The development guidelines actually push for the back swipe to save all the information that's been changed. That's why if a developer wants to provide that functionality, they have to explicitly add it (like a button with "Discard changes").
    Yeppers.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Towards the top left of the relevant forum front page, there is a big green button that just says: New Thread
    Kindest Regards for your reply but, I'm just saying, don't you think I know where the button is since I started this thread.

My guess is:

a) Chrome doesn't want to play nice with this site
    b) This site hates me

It's one of those, most likely, I think....
    Kindest Regards for your reply but, I'm just saying, don't you think I know where the button is since I started this thread.

My guess is:

a) Chrome doesn't want to play nice with this site
    b) This site hates me

It's one of those, most likely, I think....
    Personally, I'm going to go ahead and blame Chrome, it always sucked when I tried to use it for work and I had to abandon it for Safari!

Besides, who could hate you?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    +1 for gesture+z to undo my idiocy...
    i have seen this annoyance too.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    If I remember my UI design classes, there should never be one way to asking a question without the ability of answering the question in the negative in the same manner.
    That has always been case with desktop design (I don't necessarily agree), but I consider Mobile to be different and that idea should be questioned.

I personally believe that every action a user does should be assumed perfect (as this is the case 80-90% of the time).

Windows is a good example of this. If I want to delete a file I click on it press delete, it asks me if I'm sure, I click yes, then I go to the recycle bin, click clear recycle bin, and click yes.
    -Why not just click delete and if I didn't mean to, just pull it out of the recycle bin instead of asking?

With webos, there is no question asked, it is assumed that when you change a contact and close the card or back-swipe it is saved, there is no 'Save' it's just assumed that if you went through the process and edited a contact, that is just what you meant to do. If you didn't then you should Undo.

A pure gesture (gesture + z is more than we need), commonly used throughout the rest of the OS, would benefit us greatly.
    A button requires either multiple clicks (if it's in the paste/copy menu), or UI space (which is extremely painful with such a small screen).

A gesture is fast, makes use of the gesture area (which is great but under-used), requires no extra space, could be very intuitive, and allows the idea to do and it's saved to have a way to backtrack.
    Personally, I'm going to go ahead and blame Chrome, it always sucked when I tried to use it for work and I had to abandon it for Safari!

I only use chrome for Precentral..haven't had any problems yet..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts

The button not being displayed isn't a Chrome issue, it's because you have to select a forum category for it to appear. (A design decision I'd wager)

And Chrome is ridiculously better than Safari I'd encourage you to ditch it and try Google's only good product since its search again.
  13.    #33  

Seriously, those bozos at Google - they'll never get it will they?!?

ps
    Apparently, you haven't met my dear x-wife....
  14.    #34  
    Ugggg Alex,

Love you like the mean step brother I never had but....

My shizzle is in red below \/.

Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    That has always been case with desktop design (I don't necessarily agree), but I consider Mobile to be different and that idea should be questioned.

I personally believe that every action a user does should be assumed perfect (as this is the case 80-90% of the time).

You don't mean "perfect" you mean mostly correct. Big difference and I agree with you.

Windows is a good example of this. If I want to delete a file I click on it press delete, it asks me if I'm sure, I click yes, then I go to the recycle bin, click clear recycle bin, and click yes.
    -Why not just click delete and if I didn't mean to, just pull it out of the recycle bin instead of asking?

- First, you can disable Affirmative Action on Delete in Windows (and every other OS). This is meant to protect most idiots that hit the wrong button.
    - Second, I agree and most new design would agree. BUT, in any field that contains more then one entry point (or mutiple entry points in a sequence), the logic falls apart.

If you have a simple Yes or No - then most of the time, you're right, one button works. In a situation with multiple entry points, such as editing a Contact, the potential for simple (and not stupid) mistakes is multiplied by the number of previously filled in boxes that you could screw up without intentional doing one thing or another.

With webos, there is no question asked, it is assumed that when you change a contact and close the card or back-swipe it is saved, there is no 'Save' it's just assumed that if you went through the process and edited a contact, that is just what you meant to do. If you didn't then you should Undo.

See just one little paragraph in red above. Undo is to cumbersome - Cancel is the opposite of Done. The idea is: if I screwed something up, I don't want to fix this little ol' filed, just let me start again....

A pure gesture (gesture + z is more than we need), commonly used throughout the rest of the OS, would benefit us greatly.
    A button requires either multiple clicks (if it's in the paste/copy menu), or UI space (which is extremely painful with such a small screen).

Dear Friend Alex - (May I call you Alex?), I agree in most situations but consistency is the path to productivity. Think about your favorite restaurant or some action you do over and over on your desktop (or maybe your Pre) that makes you feel comfortable getting a task done in a timely manner. Think about Pescado a La Parrilla, (notice how I slipped in a great Mexican dish into a geeky thread - skillfull heh?) when you order it, you want consistance no mater where you are in the "system".

A gesture is fast, makes use of the gesture area (which is great but under-used), requires no extra space, could be very intuitive, and allows the idea to do and it's saved to have a way to backtrack.

Again, fast for the few but not consistent for the rest is a failed UI implementation.
    - Consistent = Consistent.
    - Or, Consistent is as Consistent does.
    New OS's are always challenging this notion and, WebOS is no exception.

WebOS is as amazing a blank page start at a new OS as I've EVER seen (and I still do have my 8080 motherboard around here somewhere).

18 months and it yielded us this - WoW - I'm in awe.

- Patrick
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I only use chrome for Precentral..haven't had any problems yet..
    I know - it's weired, that New Thread button just isn't there sometimes.

b) must hate me

Gosh, it's late....

I guess I could do some screen shots but, really, how short is life to be doing that....
    As a web developer, it is never safe to assume the user is right. We need a "Wow, I completely screwed this <insert entity name here> up, I need to get out of Dodge without saving ANY of this garbage; please do not save my changes." button. Cancel is the opposite of Done. There is enough real estate on most of the critical dialogs for a cancel button. I 100% disagree with Palm's notion that you save the data every time a field loses focus. It completely eliminates the possibility of being able to cancel your giant cluster screwup of your data. They actually make it more difficult for developers to protect user's data.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 08/12/2010 at 03:45 AM.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    As a web developer, it is never safe to assume the user is right. We need a "Wow, I completely screwed this <insert entity name here> up, I need to get out of Dodge without saving ANY of this garbage; please do not save my changes." button. Cancel is the opposite of Done. There is enough real estate on most of the critical dialogs for a cancel button. I 100% disagree with Palm's notion that you save the data every time a field loses focus. It completely eliminates the possibility of being able to cancel your giant cluster screwup of your data. They actually make it more difficult for developers to protect user's data.
    I think you know I agree with you...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12