Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone encountered a glitch with the battery percentage reader? My issue is once it hits the 20% battery message, it'll discharge down to maybe 18%, then afterwards automatically jump to 0% and die almost instantaneously. I'm using a Seidio 1350 mAh, and according to getage (forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/256967-find-out-how-good-bad-your-battery.html) I'm still at over 99% battery capacity.

I tried searching the forums for this and haven't came up with anything, so sorry if this is redundant.

Thanks
    I think there have been a few other posts about this, but am too lazy to search for them ATM.

However, the operative questions, which a ton more people will ask, if I don't are:

Do you have any patches installed that affect the battery/battery display?

Have you tried a reboot?

When is the last time you doctor or repaired?

How long has this been happening and is it just this battery?

I always get the 20%, then 10% warning, so have never had my phone completely die on me, yet.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    get the patch that shows actual charge as a number. That will help.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4.    #4  
    I rebooted last time this happened to me, probably a couple days ago. I noticed it happening for the last couple of weeks (maybe after the massive Palm Pre crash), and I haven't tried to see if it happens with the Palm default battery that I have. I have no patches installed that should effect that battery, and I haven't had a need to Doctor/repair.

And workerb, I have the actual charge number (as a percentage) displayed (not the battery bar).
    I wonder if it just has something to do with batteries that are not stock?

Though I've never had mine do this, as I said, I have, however, noticed that the drain is much, much faster, when I have an older Centro battery in, rather than the stock Palm Pre battery.

I supposed it could be possible that the drain just suddenly goes so fast, that its out, before your phone software can detect it and let you know.
  6.    #6  
    I don't know, I'm not sure if the drain is really faster than the stock... it doesn't seem like it in my case. I presume it may just be the algorithm the battery% uses to calculate how much battery is left. It doesn't help that my palm pre is over-clocked either, but what else is new.
    I've had something similar happening to me over the last couple weeks, using 2 different batteries. However, mine lasts quite a while even after it jumps to 0%, (an hour or more with moderate use, I think it only died once). I've just attributed it to a glitch messing up the calculation. I'm also using patches to show actual battery as a percentage.
    I have been having the exact same issue for the last few month or two. I Think it has to do with the fact that my battery is going dead. How old is your unit? I got mine 11/24/09 and I use it a lot. Mine drops to zero when I get to about 30-18% it is random when it actually drops.
    I have mine overclocked, as well, but as I stated, have never had that happen.

I think jaredsutter's guess is probably correct that there is a glitch, somewhere, that screws up the battery calculation, so you do not get the proper readings.
    I have a bit of a variation on this.

When I get to 20%, it immediately jumps to a reading of 0%, but it's not actually at 0%, because I can continue to text, call, etc., for several more minutes after that happens.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jurkz View Post
    I have been having the exact same issue for the last few month or two. I Think it has to do with the fact that my battery is going dead. How old is your unit? I got mine 11/24/09 and I use it a lot. Mine drops to zero when I get to about 30-18% it is random when it actually drops.
    I got mine a month ago, used. Although it's the Pre Plus for AT&T, which has only been out since May or so.

Weird that people are getting a variant of this glitch. Once mine hits 20%, I probably have 5 minutes with no usage before it dies.
    Completely stock palm pre (sprint), original palm battery, activate date 6/19/09. Have had it drop to 0% several times but continue to run w/lite use for 1-1 ˝hrs. When using at 100% chg I can only get about 2hrs of use. Time for new battery I suppose.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    Completely stock palm pre (sprint), original palm battery, activate date 6/19/09. Have had it drop to 0% several times but continue to run w/lite use for 1-1 ˝hrs. When using at 100% chg I can only get about 2hrs of use. Time for new battery I suppose.
    Try reading the files through the link I posted in my original post, it will help you determine if you need to replace your battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    get the patch that shows actual charge as a number. That will help.
    I get the same thing! I installed the actual percentage patch and it still goes from 18% to 0% and then dies. I re-boot my phone (battery pull) every couple of days or so. Even with the new 1.4.5, my battery still drains BAAD!!! And I have a Seido battery as well. A little confused on this one!
    One of the reasons I investigatet the batteryhandling was exactly this glitch.
    Atm: davsalinas and Xanadu73 are testing a way to recalibrate the battery.
    If they can solve it we will post the steps and maybe an app.
    Experienced same problem with day 1 Pre from 6/6/09. Would go from 40 to 0. Replaced the battery and it went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Atm: davsalinas and Xanadu73 are testing a way to recalibrate the battery.
    If they can solve it we will post the steps and maybe an app.
    We have found to ways (if you know a little linux) to correct this issue in the mentioned thread.
    Once my battery hits 60%, it jumps to 0% within seconds and then I can't use certain things on my phone. It's irritating...any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by bretlagro View Post
    Once my battery hits 60%, it jumps to 0% within seconds and then I can't use certain things on my phone. It's irritating...any ideas?
    Yes, you more than likely need a new battery. You can download the Dr. Battery app from preware and check out the Dr. Battery thread where you can see how to calibrate your battery but if yours is dying when it hits 60%, it's probably time for a new one.

Calibrating the battery will probably fix the "death drop" when it reaches 60% but the battery's overall health will be very poor.

You can get a new Palm Pre OEM battery from Amazon for the current price of $8.02 shipped.

You can also check ebay for Centro batteries that will work fine, some go for $3-$4 shipped.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Use Dr. Battery from preware and do the recalibration.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast