Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    Hey guys I'm getting a mint condintion palm pre. From ebay for 110. I have few questions
    1. Cases. I really like the otterbox tandem but what's a good case
    2. Should I overclock it right away
    3.I'm pretty tech savvy I fix iphones and bb's for a hobby. But I noticed that people are swapping the internals (mainly com boards) to increase there ram and internal memory. Is this really worth doing if I overclock the cpu.
    4. Anything I should know about webos and any cool little things I should do to have the best experince .

I know you guys get this all the time but i just moved to sprint and I'm debating on trying the pre or stick with the epic 4g or evo when they come available her. Any help woould be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by precon22 View Post
    Hey guys I'm getting a mint condintion palm pre. From ebay for 110. I have few questions
    3.I'm pretty tech savvy I fix iphones and bb's for a hobby. But I noticed that people are swapping the internals (mainly com boards) to increase there ram and internal memory. Is this really worth doing if I overclock the cpu.
    4. Anything I should know about webos and any cool little things I should do to have the best experince .

I know you guys get this all the time but i just moved to sprint and I'm debating on trying the pre or stick with the epic 4g or evo when they come available her. Any help woould be awesome
    Welcome to Precentral!
    Its nice to hear that you got a Palm Pre phone. Its a very powerful device, as expected and it's very customizable too. Work on getting Preware and Webos Quick Install first and then you can get into the goodies!

Here's a link to how to install Preware and Webos QI
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

A: I heard the Otterbox is pretty solid. The rest of these plastic cases suck. Due to the fact that the Palm Pre is a portrait slide phone, its kind of hard to make really good soft cases for it, hence you should go with a good hard case. Also, a screen protective is recommended.
    2. Should I overclock it right away.
    A:This all depends on you. If you feel the phone is fast enough, then you dont need to. But if you want to live on the edge, you can try the Uberkernel (800MHZ), F105 Thunderbird (1005MHZ), SR71 BlackBird at an AMAZINGLY FAST 1200MHZ.Both kernels were made possible by the one and only unixpsycho. All this of course are at your own discretion.
    A:I dont believe you can swap verizon rams with Sprint's or vice versa, but i could be wrong.
    A: Webos is a very slick phone OS. Out of its class. Its one of the most intuitive OS i've every used. Its offers slick and quick multi-tasking as opposed to what the competitors promise you. This means, you can use your calender while listening to your favorite band and also while playing a 3D game (compache support handles this for us, as of now).......ALSO, while chatting off on your aim messenger or whatever you have.
    Last edited by Jason Black; 08/10/2010 at 10:51 AM.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts

2. I would definitely overclock it right away. That way you don't see how slow it is to begin with. Lol. Enjoy! Welcome to the community!
    Drove 3 hours to buy my Palm Pre on day one.
    2) Use it stock for a few days if you like and then see if it is too slow for you. It is easily overclocked using uberkernel and govnah, and you can see their respective threads for info. Both can be got from Preware.
    3)Uberkernel's compcache handling will sorth the ram problem out.
    4) Get Preware, follow the instructions at install.preware.org

Pip
    as for cases I believe the best is the "pre grt case"

I really don't think you need a case just a skin for the screen.
    1. Cases. I really like the otterbox tandem but what's a good case. (rush's response) It's really a matter of choice. There is so many to choose from.

2. Should I overclock it right away. (rush's response) Depend on how fast or more responsive you want your phone to be. The stock pre comes with a mhz of 500, and overclocking take it to another level. There are many overclock kernel(s) to choose from.

4. Anything I should know about webos and any cool little things I should do to have the best experince . (rush's response) Apart from it's one of the best operating system in the world. :-).
    The perks are awesome, and preware is to die for. With preware you can customized your phone to your own satisfaction. Patches/Themes/Kernel(s)

I know you guys get this all the time but i just moved to sprint and I'm debating on trying the pre or stick with the epic 4g or evo when they come available her. Any help woould be awesome. (rush's response) The palm pre is totally awesome, coming to webos would definitely be one of the best decision you've made.

Best of luck.
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    Thank you guys so much fast response is hard tome buy some times. I'm looking forward to getting it next week. I'm als happu I'm getting a touch stone with it. Also I just ordered the tandem case I hate not having cases on my phones. I also order zagg for extra protection. I also plan on taking your advice on trying the stock speed for a little while and if it doesn't satisfiy me like my vibrant did I will do the 800mhz, and go from there when I get the chance. I'm gonna download those programs tonight and get aqauinted with them now so I have an idea of what I need to do
    precon22, Welcome to the P|C forums and to your new addiction - webOS!

I came over to Sprint from the DeathStar and have been extremely pleased with the service and coverage. As the replies above have pretty much said it all - all I can add is my own voice chiming in to say go ahead and overclock your device (after using it stock for a few days) using the Uberkernal (available in Preware). Also, take a look at all of the great patches available in Preware!

Take a look in our Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources forum and read the 'stickied' threads at the top. These will go through all of the tips and tricks of webOS - great for new users!

Enjoy your device and welcome to the forums
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    So I'm excite to get started. I saw a tube video of the difference between stock kernel and uberkernel and its night and day I'm going for the overclock asap because I just left vibrant and a speed drop would kill me so I'm gonna go for it. And I'm not much of a linux script writer is there a lot of it with webos.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    now me personally precon, if you're cool with overclocking.. then you might want to just do uberkernal, its the most stable and isnt frying devices anymore.. (except on the rare occasion.. ) i want to go fast as well.. but i want to wait til they are out of the alpha testing phase.. i love my phone and i dont want to screw it up.. for me there is only so many reasons i could explain to palm that my phone screwed up due to my overclocking need for speed.
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    Another question for you guys when I started my plan I went through radio shack , now I have to wait a week before I get my other pre I was thinking, would. Be able to take back my blackberry 9650 get refund and go to sprint and ge a new pre in the mean time. Or will sprint not allow me to
    Not really understanding the question....
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    Since I didn't open my contract at the sprint store but at radioshack, I paid about 159 for my current blackberry 9650, so what I was wondering will I be able to reurn my current phone since I'm in the 30 day return policy , take the money to sprint an buy a new pre and use it till my used pre comes in and trade it in.
    I would imagine you could do that... It doesn't violate Sprint's policies (but it does mis-use the intent). It would all be up to Sprint (or RadioShack) and you would have to contact them and verify you can bring back the BB for your money back (usually takes time to process). Then go to another store and make the new purchase. A bit shady, but it has been done many times before.

Don't make any purchases on your first Pre if you are going to trade as you won't be able to swap your profiles (and purchases are tied to the profile).
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    Well ib don't want to make it a hassle I thought I would be nice to do but if I get into trouble or cause s big deal no thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryangur View Post
    now me personally precon, if you're cool with overclocking.. then you might want to just do uberkernal, its the most stable and isnt frying devices anymore.. (except on the rare occasion.. ) i want to go fast as well.. but i want to wait til they are out of the alpha testing phase.. .
    Don't mean to call you out, but where did you see evidence that the uberkernel fries people's pres?

Pip
    Well ib don't want to make it a hassle I thought I would be nice to do but if I get into trouble or cause s big deal no thanks
    Shouldn't be a big deal at all... like I said, just make sure you wait to purchase stuff on the phone until you get the new device with the new profile. You'll be fine and within the rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Don't mean to call you out, but where did you see evidence that the uberkernel fries people's pres?

Pip
    Agreed... didn't see that comment. Don't know where that info comes from as I've never seen it happen. Big difference between causing hiccup with an app or patch and 'frying' a device.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    thats what i read somewhere on here.. back when they were still working with the 720.. now.. that maybe be user fault.. or etc... but me personally.. i want to wait until all the bugs are fixed.. i know that on other device when you start overclocking you can cause it to over heat and fry the device.. for me.. its better safe then sorry..
    also note that the F105 kernal to 1ghz is the stable version at the moment, I wouldnt test out the SR yet, unless you dont mind visiting the doctor on a regular basis. Since only a few people have been able to run it without any issues. Me personally the F105 is just fine at 1ghz.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast