Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    I saw the GSM Pre specification includes GSM 850/1900 band.
    I have no idea if putting my telus Hspa sim card into an unlocked GSM Pre will work?

    ( I have checked there is a special GSM Rom that could bypass the first activation. So it will not be a problem anymore)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    I saw the GSM Pre specification includes GSM 850/1900 band.
    I have no idea if putting my telus Hspa sim card into an unlocked GSM Pre will work?

    ( I have checked there is a special GSM Rom that could bypass the first activation. So it will not be a problem anymore)
    The Pre/+ are quad band GSM and DUal Band UTMS/HSDPA, so for use on Telus's 850/1900 3G network, that narrows the carrier specific models down to two, the AT&T Palm Pre Plus and the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre, which are compatable with Telus's 3G data network (850/1900). the other carrier's models will work for voice and texting on Telus, but without 3G data, only Edge.

    NOTE: AT&T Pre Plus's /Telcel Pre's are locked to the specific carrier SIM, so you will either need to unlock the device OR buy one already unlocked on eBay or Craigslist. Be wary of the non carrier specific unlocked models offered on eBay because they could be EU Pre's and won't offer you 3G data capability on Telus. Purchase either of the AT&T or Telcel carrier specific models already unlocked, and you won't need to bypass activation, Activation is required by Palm for access to the app catalog and its better if you have the seller activate the device using your email address for activation before he ships it while the device is still in the USA so you'll have access to the full US app catalog.

    If you plan on unlocking it yourself, two paths you can follow.
    1 -use meta doctor to bypass activation, then unlock it, and after unlocking it, run the first use application from the icon created by meta doctor and your ready to go.
    2 -buy or borrow an AT&T Go Phone Pre paid SIM with data features activated, use that sim to activate the device and then unlock it, putting your Telus SIM into it for the first time when you are ready to enter the network subsidy unlock code. BTW it's much easier if you can buy an unlocked AT&T or Telcel Pre and can get the seller to activate it for you in the USA before shipping it, but if thats not doable, at least you're not sunk.

    Hope that helps.
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  3.    #3  
    thank you super much !!
  4. #4  
    Is there anyway to overcome this GSM band difference ... I managed to unlock an AT&T PP+ and can only get a 'G' symbol here in Singapore ...
  5. #5  
    I just bought an palm pre plus from off ebay at&t version so I can use it on bell. Since I have a palm pre already. Will I still have to the bypass activation or can I sign in using my existing profile.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajedi72 View Post
    Is there anyway to overcome this GSM band difference ... I managed to unlock an AT&T PP+ and can only get a 'G' symbol here in Singapore ...
    The AT&T version does not have the 2100 mhz band for 3G, that's why it only will work in Edge mode. There are a few international carriers not using the 2100 band such as the person a few boxes up. You would need the UK model to get 3G and QWERTY keyboard.

    Great phone otherwise
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brawler View Post
    I just bought an palm pre plus from off ebay at&t version so I can use it on bell. Since I have a palm pre already. Will I still have to the bypass activation or can I sign in using my existing profile.
    You can always sign in using your existing profile it's just a matter of which app catalog you want access to as that is based on country (location) of first activation of the phone.

Posting Permissions