Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone, I just got a new Palm Pre + from Verizon and I just got the deal where the mobile hot spot is free. I was curious if this could replace buying a home internet service? I'm a recent college graduate and just received a job in Chicago. I am wanting to cut some corners and thought using the phone for free Internet would work.

I have a netflix account and was wondering if the Pre + would be able to stream my movies to my Wii without any major hiccups. The wii uses wifi to connect to the internet and stream netflix movies.

So long story short would it be worth it to use the phone or just pay for home internet?

Thank you in advance.
    I think you're restricted to 5gb free per month. If so, I don't think that's going to work well for what you're describing. I do 2-3 gb without using it as a replacement for home internet.
    I live in the boonies and we use my mom's Pixi Plus on Verizon for our main Internet. Our only other options are dialup and satellite. We use Mobile Hotspot until we get near the 5GB limit then I use USB tethering connected to my netbook. I then have Connectify on the netbook to turn the USB connection back into a wifi hotspot. It's ghetto, but it works! Speeds are decent during the day, fine for streaming and gaming, but I get amazing speeds at night. I have a Sprint Pre, but have crappy coverage at our house. So basically, yes you can use it as your main Internet as long as you have good coverage, a little patience, and find a way to bypass the 5GB MHS cap like I did to avoid the $.05 per MB fee. MyTether is another way to avoid the cap, USB or wirelessly, but only if it actually feels like working. It's hit or miss.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    There is a 5 gb limit... If you're planning on streaming videos, I'm pretty sure you'd go over that quickly. I don't even want to know how much it would cost if you exceed the 5gb....
    you have to be willing to not talk on your phone while on the internet. you have to be ok with your internet service leaving the house every time you do (no one else using it) and you have to be confident that you won't exceed 5g of use. That's a lot of room on a phone, not quite as generous for full use from a PC.

Around here you can get "naked DSL" for about $20-$25 and that should be worth it to avoid getting dinged for too much usage or for not being able to use your phone.

If someone calls you, the call comes through and you eventually lose your internet connection. I couldn't live with that.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the Input. I kind of knew it would be a stretch to get free internet with the phone.
    Yes, I agree about if you get many phone calls, which will cut your Internet out until the call ends. In my case we still have a house phone, my mom mostly uses her cell if she's out.
  8.    #8  
    Just curious anyone on sprint with the unlimited data plan try to use the phone as the main internet?
    I was doing that for a while but got fed up with Sprint's coverage at home and also talk pretty often and text.
    not me.. Roadrunner turbo or nothing. It is lightning fast, couldn't live without it
    I'm on sprint and my pre is my only internet service since sept '09. Killed landline 2 months after getting pre, dsl service since '99 1month later. No more at&t for me, yeah! Don't have mhs or tethering cos netbook broke, as am I, so only use net with sprint svc. Just started new billling cycle 1 day ago. I did notice a few days prior my web/data seemed to get throttled down to mostly unsuable speeds. I was at 5.2gig data use when I checked issue. Found workaround to get me by. Since I'm on new cycle all seems normal again, hmm, sprint?
    for sure don't try any game systems with mhs you will hop over the limit like that
    That would be a rough way to go. I get good speeds use MHS with Sprint, but nothing close to my Verizon FIOS at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadis View Post
    Just curious anyone on sprint with the unlimited data plan try to use the phone as the main internet?
    I have never even considered it. First off, it's very slow, even with full signal. The best I could ever manage to get is about 1 Mb/sec, and that's in the middle of NYC. I average even less than that. And if you don't have full bars, forget about it. Second, it's my only phone, which doesn't work when you are using the EV connection. Or rather, the EV connection doesn't work when you are on the phone. I can get, on average about 22 Mb/sec on my roadrunner standard internet, and 10 Mb/sec at peak times (which is what the service should be). That gives me full HD streaming on netflix, and downloads as high as 2 MB/sec.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    MHS will work well-ish for video streaming on Wii. The quality is very good where I am, but occasional it has to buffer mid-video (other times it doesn't). I wouldn't recommend watching full movies though, because they will eat your data very quickly. An episode of TV every other day or so is fine.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I cannot get my Wii to connect to MHS (sprint hack)
    I will say, if you're looking for cheap Internet, check out clear.com. (This is the old Clearwire, with much better service now.) Not sure if Chicago is in their 4G service area yet. But I just switched to CLEAR from Comcast. Instead of paying $110+/month to Comcast, I now pay $37/month to CLEAR for basic Internet (this is after taxes and the modem leasing fee).
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    My wife and I use our pre's as the primary internet and it is working very well. It does take consideration however;

- I stream a number of 45 min tv shows from netflix, and it works quite well. I will watch 1 or 2 on the weekend, so about 4 maybe 5 shows a month and haven't gone over 5GB.

- We generally use the internet for email, research, shopping, bill pay and the like outside of that.

- We have 2 pre's so my wife has her's during the day while I'm at work and I use mine at night.

- We don't make phone calls with any regularity so it's never an issue.

So given your usage and situation it can be a very usable solution for your home internet. But as stated above you need to carefully consider how and when you use the internet and then give yourself a month to try it solo on your phone before canceling your other connection.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePlus79 View Post
    My wife and I use our pre's as the primary internet and it is working very well. It does take consideration however;

- I stream a number of 45 min tv shows from netflix, and it works quite well. I will watch 1 or 2 on the weekend, so about 4 maybe 5 shows a month and haven't gone over 5GB.

- We generally use the internet for email, research, shopping, bill pay and the like outside of that.

- We have 2 pre's so my wife has her's during the day while I'm at work and I use mine at night.

- We don't make phone calls with any regularity so it's never an issue.

So given your usage and situation it can be a very usable solution for your home internet. But as stated above you need to carefully consider how and when you use the internet and then give yourself a month to try it solo on your phone before canceling your other connection.

Yea, that was pretty much my thoughts on it. I think I am going to give it a good month and see how well I do. I almost want to switch carriers and get on Sprints Unlimited plan and tether that that way and not worry about it. Plus I am sure Chicago has 4G and the speed would be pretty good. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will let you know if it all works out
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I use my Pre MHS to supplement the Verizon MiFi. Family of 5. 2 desktops, 2 laptops.
    Last month we used 4.9 gigs on the MiFi and 3.5 gigs on the Pre.
    This is with very little or no video of any kind, no music downloads, and only a few simple Yahoo type games. That is just a family web browsing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast