Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    First, I'd like to compliment the designer(s) of this forum for including a window that offers similar threads as soon as one types in the Title. That is really cool.

I still don't completely understand how the email application works. I have 2 email accounts set up in the Palm: Yahoo and Gmail. When I open up these accounts, listed under 'Favorites' are the Gmail Inbox and the Yahoo Inbox. When I tap on the Gmail inbox, I get a message that says: 'No messages in the last 7 days'. Huh? On the other hand, when I tap on the Yahoo acct. I am able to scroll down and view messages organized in neat chronological order beginning with today, yesterday, and older.

Why doesn't Gmail perform in the same way? The same occurs below with the Gmail acct. No messages are displayed either in the inbox or outbox. In Preferences, I have 'All Inboxes' turned Off. Gmail is set as the Default Acct. Okay, as I write this, I just saw a '2' to the right of the Inbox header in Gmail. So these are 2 new emails that just came in. Still, I wonder why the other emails get scrubbed if they are opened from the website itself or another email client?.. Hope I'm making sense.

Thanks,
    I understand you quite well ****. I wish I have the correct answer for you, but unfortunately, I'm just as baffled as you are.

I hope someone with proper knowledge might help out here.
    Last edited by rush; 08/09/2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Go into Preferences and Accounts from the email app menu, tap on your gmail account, select how many days back you want it to store mail on your Pre.

It would appear you have it set to 7 days and you don't have any email in your inbox newer than 7 days.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Go into Preferences and Accounts from the email app menu, tap on your gmail account, select how many days back you want it to store mail on your Pre.

It would appear you have it set to 7 days and you don't have any email in your inbox newer than 7 days.
    I get 30 to 40 messages a day in my Gmail acct....In Preferences just for yuks, under the SYNC header, I have 'ALL' selected.

What do you have Get Email set to?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    What do you have Get Email set to?
    5 minutes
    Odd. Gmail works fine for me. On the web-based Gmail settings page, you can't even disable "Show in IMAP" for the Gmail inbox (unlike other Gmail folders) as far as I know. Something is up. I would try deleting and re-adding the account.
    BTW, synching does take time...but you should see the messages come in as it synchs.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcarner View Post
    I get 30 to 40 messages a day in my Gmail acct....In Preferences just for yuks, under the SYNC header, I have 'ALL' selected.

Those 30-40 message a day, do you leave them in your "inbox", or do you move them to other folders? If the latter, that would be why you have no messages newer than 7 days in your inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Odd. Gmail works fine for me. On the web-based Gmail settings page, you can't even disable "Show in IMAP" for the Gmail inbox (unlike other Gmail folders) as far as I know. Something is up. I would try deleting and re-adding the account.
    +1 see if deleting and re adding the account clears things up for you.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    You know, you may be on to something. I had a heck of a time setting up the acct. I kept screwing up when entering the acct. settings: the server settings and all. This is a good idea.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Those 30-40 message a day, do you leave them in your "inbox", or do you move them to other folders? If the latter, that would be why you have no messages newer than 7 days in your inbox.
    Leave'm in Inbox. I'm working on removing my orig. Gmail acct. from the Palm.
    There's a thought that the acct. is corrupt.
    check your gmail account settings on their website an make sure imap is turned on before you add the account to your pre.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    check your gmail account settings on their website an make sure imap is turned on before you add the account to your pre.
    I did all of this last night just before I read your post. In any event, your suggestions lead to the correct outcome. I did not have IMAP checked. Just POP, which is what I use for the email client I use (Mozilla - Thunderbird) I dumped Gmail and started all over. But then I was shocked to see that the phone in a very orderly fashion was loading all 9,000 plus messages beginning with the ones when Gmail was in Beta! What a mess. I went into Gmail. Systematically deleted all of the messages except the last month's worth. They still reside in Gmails trash folder so its really no big deal. Removed and then reinstalled Gmail on the phone. Everything works now.

I also dumped Yahoo Mail from the Palm. Even tho it's cool because the sync between Yahoo and the Palm worked seamlessly the problem is it works too good. The import included all of the Yahoo mail folders and their contents going back 10 years. Cool but waaaaaaay too much bloat. I'll access that acct. from the Palm using the browser from now on.

Now, I have another issue with email, but I'm gonna bring it up as a new topic. I have tendency to be a bit 'wordy'. Sorry abt. that. Thanks to all.

...I was shocked to see that the phone in a very orderly fashion was loading all 9,000 plus messages beginning with the ones when Gmail was in Beta! What a mess. I went into Gmail. Systematically deleted all of the messages except the last month's worth. They still reside in Gmails trash folder so its really no big deal. ...
    I really recommend against doing the system this way. Keep in mind, unlike POP, when using IMAP the Pre is simply a client to the same system. If you deleted files on the Pre, you are deleting them on GMAIL as well. It'd be bad for you to suddenly lose all your old email that you didn't mean to.

The better option is to set your Pre to show email only for xx number of days (for instance, 31 days would show the last month worth). That way, you're not deleting them, just not seeing thousands of uneeded messages on your phone.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really recommend against doing the system this way. Keep in mind, unlike POP, when using IMAP the Pre is simply a client to the same system. If you deleted files on the Pre, you are deleting them on GMAIL as well. It'd be bad for you to suddenly lose all your old email that you didn't mean to.
    This really fundamental information. I would suggest that whoever moderates this forum create a separate Sticky that informs the novice (like me) <about> the symbiotic relationship between the Palm & Gmail when IMAP is turned on.
    The better option is to set your Pre to show email only for xx number of days (for instance, 31 days would show the last month worth). That way, you're not deleting them, just not seeing thousands of uneeded messages on your phone.
    Understood. Okay. Here is what I did. Not because I had your knowledge base at the time mind you, but because I was lucky. I removed the Gmail Acct. in Palm first. Then when into my Gmail acct. on the Web. Then deleted a ton of emails. The good news is that they are all there in the Trash folder. The bad news is if I had known beforehand to go into Preferences and set the xx number of days apriori - then I wouldn't have wasted a ton of time cleaning out my Gmail acct. Live and learn.. That's why a Sticky on this subject (if one doesn't yet exist) would be a good thing IMO.
    There are, actually, a ton of posts on here that provide details on how the Pre email client works, with IMAP and POP and with various email servers.

It is also explained in the Palm Support knowledge base, as well as the Palm Pre user guide/instruction book thing.

Discovering how IMAP works is also explained by gmail on their site and in millions of other articles, blogs and etc. online.

It would appear to me that you are either new to using IMAP or have just not paid attention to how it works, before.

No offense intended here, but I just don't see how another sticky post being created to cover something that has already been covered a ton of times, is going to help.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    There are, actually, a ton of posts on here that provide details on how the Pre email client works, with IMAP and POP and with various email servers.

It is also explained in the Palm Support knowledge base, as well as the Palm Pre user guide/instruction book thing.

Discovering how IMAP works is also explained by gmail on their site and in millions of other articles, blogs and etc. online.

It would appear to me that you are either new to using IMAP or have just not paid attention to how it works, before.

No offense intended here, but I just don't see how another sticky post being created to cover something that has already been covered a ton of times, is going to help.
    Tons huh? You have not offended in anyway. I have a reasonably seasoned thick skin. It was simply a suggestion. The first thing I did - even before registering was to read the Sticky posts. I have a 'thing' for them. As an aggregate, they helped me process a bunch of information not only with respect to the 'culture' of this forum but things that are important to know about this OS and Palm.

I confess that: I do not have time to burrow down trying to locate something that has been covered 'tons of times'. On the other hand I attempt to balance that problem with the need for instant gratification. I try, not always successfully, to find a center between these two problems, which at the core is existential in nature. Hope, I'm making sense.

Tons huh? You have not offended in anyway. I have a reasonably seasoned thick skin. It was simply a suggestion. The first thing I did - even before registering was to read the Sticky posts. I have a 'thing' for them. As an aggregate, they helped me process a bunch of information not only with respect to the 'culture' of this forum but things that are important to know about this OS and Palm.

I confess that: I do not have time to burrow down trying to locate something that has been covered 'tons of times'. On the other hand I attempt to balance that problem with the need for instant gratification. I try, not always successfully, to find a center between these two problems, which at the core is existential in nature. Hope, I'm making sense.

LOL! Yes, it made sense, though probably not to everyone.

I did not, however, mean they are all in the sticky posts. Yes, in those, there are some details missing on quite a few things.

When I first decided to order my Pre, bought it on Ebay and was waiting for it to arrive, I came here and spent the week I was waiting reading up on details about the Pre.

I wanted to make sure I was aware of what it was and wasn't capable of and what types of modifications I could do to add the functionality that I need.

But, even after a week of reading for hours each day, there were still things I had to learn by trial and error, guesswork and searching elsewhere.

This is a very helpful site, but no site is perfect and yes, sometimes it is not easy to take the time to search, you'd rather just post the question and get an immediate answer from others that have already dealt with it.

For certain things, I can be extremely impatient, for others I can wait forever, just depends what it is and what its impact is on my life.

Therefore, if the email I were using on my phone was extremely important to my work/income or etc. I probably would feel the same as you!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  20.    #20  
    [QUOTE=verwon;2599264]LOL! Yes, it made sense, though probably not to everyone.

I did not, however, mean they are all in the sticky posts. Yes, in those, there are some details missing on quite a few things.

Snip..

But, even after a week of reading for hours each day, there were still things I had to learn by trial and error, guesswork and searching elsewhere.

This is a very helpful site, but no site is perfect and yes, sometimes it is not easy to take the time to search, you'd rather just post the question and get an immediate answer from others that have already dealt with it.
    You have hit the problem on the head: it has to do with not 'dragging down' the group with redundant questions. Doing the work oneself leads to a feeling of accomplishment.

For certain things, I can be extremely impatient, for others I can wait forever, just depends what it is and what its impact is on my life.

Therefore, if the email I were using on my phone was extremely important to my work/income or etc. I probably would feel the same as you!
    Ahhhhh. We have closed the circle on this communication.
    Thanks.

Now, I am having some particular concerns with respect to
    tethering the Palm to my laptop. I have installed the WebOSDoctor.jar & the WebOSQuickInstall.jar. on my laptop. I think that covers the jars... I'm wondering what to do next. Should I connect the Palm to the laptop by way of the USB cord? I'm also wondering if perhaps it might not be more appropriate were I to start a new topic.
    Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast