Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=rmcarner;2599333]
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    LOL! Yes, it made sense, though probably not to everyone.

I did not, however, mean they are all in the sticky posts. Yes, in those, there are some details missing on quite a few things.

Snip..

You have hit the problem on the head: it has to do with not 'dragging down' the group with redundant questions. Doing the work oneself leads to a feeling of accomplishment.

Ahhhhh. We have closed the circle on this communication.
    Thanks.

Now, I am having some particular concerns with respect to
    tethering the Palm to my laptop. I have installed the WebOSDoctor.jar & the WebOSQuickInstall.jar. on my laptop. I think that covers the jars... I'm wondering what to do next. Should I connect the Palm to the laptop by way of the USB cord? I'm also wondering if perhaps it might not be more appropriate were I to start a new topic.
    Thanks.
    If you are looking to install Preware, so you can use it to add homebrew apps and patches, then yes, you'll have to use your USB to hook your Pre to your computer.

However, DO NOT select USB mode! To use WebOS QI, you have to put it in the just charge mode, or it will not find your phone!

I've only had my Pre a little over a month and I can tell you, from experience, that there are MANY handy patches in Preware that will add functionality that the phone is missing.

You can also do some other tweaking, overclocking, and etc. It is very quick and easy, mostly painless and, since you have the doctor, you can always recover to stock, at any time.

You are very welcome and I hope I have helped, at least a little.

Oh and since this all started with email questions, I did want to note something for you, even if you set your account to only get mail for a certain number of days, this is does not seem to be applied to the folders it imports from gmail.

I set mine to only get mail for the past day, however, in the folders, it has downloaded everything I have archived in them, regardless of how long ago it was received.

What you do on the website or in another email client to your gmail messages also affects everything on your Pre. If you read a message, then it will not show as new on your phone, if you move it, it will be moved on your phone and etc.

To try to prevent a severe lag due to having far too much junk in my phone email, I periodically go into my gmail and manually empty the trash. This avoids having to separately swipe to delete on the phone.

If you want to make sure you do not accidentally delete something, you can alter the folders used by the gmail on your phone, for what it does in your actual gmail account online. Rather than having my deleted items all go to trash in gmail, I set it to the all mail folder. Then, when I am online, I can double check and manually delete what really is trash and make sure that what isn't gets archived.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2.    #22  
    [QUOTE=verwon;2599360]
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcarner View Post

If you are looking to install Preware, so you can use it to add homebrew apps and patches, then yes, you'll have to use your USB to hook your Pre to your computer.
    Understood. Did that

However, DO NOT select USB mode! To use WebOS QI, you have to put it in the just charge mode, or it will not find your phone!
    Yep. Followed through with that part too.

I've only had my Pre a little over a month and I can tell you, from experience, that there are MANY handy patches in Preware that will add functionality that the phone is missing.

You can also do some other tweaking, overclocking, and etc. It is very quick and easy, mostly painless and, since you have the doctor, you can always recover to stock, at any time.
    These are the reasons why I'm eager to figure out why I'm having problem getting the utility to recognize the Palm.

Snipped comments abt. Gmail. Understood...

What you do on the website or in another email client to your gmail messages also affects everything on your Pre. If you read a message, then it will not show as new on your phone, if you move it, it will be moved on your phone and etc.
    Heard that. Question: I just recently got a spam message from Gmail into the Palm. Is there a way of dealing with spam in the Palm or do you have to go directly to the Gmail acct. and deal with it there? (Which is what I did do this time)

If you want to make sure you do not accidentally delete something, you can alter the folders used by the gmail on your phone, for what it does in your actual gmail account online. Rather than having my deleted items all go to trash in gmail, I set it to the all mail folder. Then, when I am online, I can double check and manually delete what really is trash and make sure that what isn't gets archived.
    Now that is a good tip.
    My biggest issue now, still is trying to get the laptop to recognize the Palm Pre. I still have not successfully used either the teather (USB) or Bluetooth to link the Palm to the laptop such that I can pull up the Internet on the laptop from the Palm. This is one of the big things I wanted to be able to do when I'm on the road and not near any hotspots.
    Thanks.
    As to the spam, no, I have never found a way to deal with it directly on the phone. That is one of the reasons I don't have the email address that I used publicly for my work on my phone. It just gets far too much junk. I restrict my phone email to just my private address that only a few people have.

Yes, I realize not everyone has this option. On the rare occasion I do get spam to it, I just log-in to my gmail and use the message to create a filter, you can set it to block them by the senders address, keywords, certain attachments types and etc. You also select what you want gmail to do with it. I use the address to create the filter and have them delete it, thus preventing a repeat of spam from that same sender in the future.

Now, in order to use your phone as a modem like that, it requires special software, because it is not turned on when you get the phone. If you are on Sprint, this is a service they charge extra for, each month. I used to use it, when I was in PA and had trouble finding reliable service, they charged me $15 a month for the tethering and then $30 for a Pro data pack.

I've never needed it with the Pre, since I have moved and have FiOS, but there are several threads that might help:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html

That's probably the best one, so I hope it helps!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hi my name is Adam and I represent Sprint as their SprintCareGuide. I wanted to let you know that we value your business and are working diligently to resolve these issues. Thanks for your patience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12