1.    #1  
    My phone screen starts acting weird during video playback when certain govnah profiles are selected

EDIT: i have now tried many different combinations, and the common factor seems to be the ONDEMAND governor no matter what speeds it is set to. any other one, like PERFORMANCE or userspace will all work fine.

If i use ONDEMAND and set the minimum to 250 and max to 720, the phone is really fast, but video playback has some serious issues.

I was worried maybe m phone couldnt handle the overclock, but if i set the phone to be always at 720 or 800 Mhz, it works fine with no screen jitters

i made sure the phone is not overheated or anything when the issue is happening.

any ideas?

the reason im annoyed is because this started happening out of nowhere, and that profile really worked well for me, great speed and battery life in one profile

here is a vid of the problem:

at first i have it set to ONDEMAND, 250 min, 720 max, and you will see the flicker during video playback, then i switch it to PERFORMANCE 720, and there is no problem, nor if i use any other combination

issue #2: my phone cannot run screenstate 500/800 reliably. if i use the GPS and the screen is on for even a 20 minute trip, or if i use the touchstone which gets hot, the phone gets above 50c and i get warnings.
    Last edited by dovwollner; 08/09/2010 at 11:04 AM.
    I have heard, the ondemand govenor can cause various issues. I stay away from it personally.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I have heard, the ondemand govenor can cause various issues. I stay away from it personally.
    but it is still odd that it worked for a month, thn started with this issue.

I had never heard of ONDEMAND problems. it seemed to work great! while not under load, then device was not hot because the CPU was downclocked, and the battery life is awesome. and it seemed to respond really quickly as soon as any load was detected and jump to 720Mhz, and then it would be really nice and responsive.
    Would you happen to have Govnah configured to Update Launcher Icon, and have Govnah running in card view when viewing these videos?
    I noticed in the video you had Govnah running in the background. Close Govnah and see if you experience the same playback issue.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Would you happen to have Govnah configured to Update Launcher Icon, and have Govnah running in card view when viewing these videos?
    I noticed in the video you had Govnah running in the background.
    the problem persists whether or not govnah is left open . i left it open just so it would be faster to switch the settings during the video
    I noticed in the video you had Govnah running in the background.
    I believe that only causes problems with the app catalog.

It was a shot, thought it might be causing video playback flicker as well
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    It was a shot, thought it might be causing video playback flicker as well
    True!

Quote Originally Posted by dovwollner View Post
    the problem persists whether or not govnah is left open . i left it open just so it would be faster to switch the settings during the video
    I could have sworn reading a quote of Rod's saying there were issues with that govenor, but I can't find it. ugggh! If you are using the UberKernal, I would recommend posting your problem in this thread. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html
    Maybe the experts can shed some light.

I was unable to reproduce your issue.
    Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1 running F105 500/1005 Compcache enabled, Govnah running in card view with update icon enabled.

Ran the Pre video at both 1005 and 500, no flickr.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  10.    #10  
    I was unable to reproduce your issue.
    Sprint Pre 1.4.1.1 running F105 500/1005 Compcache enabled, Govnah running in card view with update icon enabled.

Ran the Pre video at both 1005 and 500, no flickr.
    how do you run that kernel? mine gets hot even running screenstate 500/800 !

it is usualy fine, but as i mentioned in my earlier post, if i use GPS or have it on the touchstone which adds some heat, i get warnings like crazy!
    I'll sometimes get warnings while on the TouchStone, but nothing ever above 49 I don't think, and it's rare (since it clocks down to 500mhz while TouchStone charging). Also I keep the slider open to help with heat dissipation. I don't use GPS so no experience there. Only time I have major heat issues is while running MHS in my car with the Pre sitting on the TouchStone. When I do this I'll set the TouchStone/Pre on my center console and aim my A/C vents at it

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the flicker exists. I thought it was hardware thing... Bu t have always used ondemand in the gov settings. I get the flicker when playing youtube videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    I can confirm that the flicker exists. I thought it was hardware thing... Bu t have always used ondemand in the gov settings. I get the flicker when playing youtube videos.
    Have you tried the conservative govenor?

I am having a similar issue with UberK and the Ondemand gov. I first noticed it when running a PDK app.

I believe the flickering happens b/c the Ondemand setting dips down to 125mhz. I have it set to a minimum of 250 but it still drops to 125. It is like it does not let go of the default setting or something. (Open Govnah only and watch the graph. It'll likely drop to 125 occasionally.)

I am not sure where to post this. I would like to use the ondemand option as it seems to save my battery a bit. I have redorted to screen state for now.