1.    #1  
    OK. I know... it seems like you've seen this before --- but have you?

I sifted through the posts about power button issues.. Most were about the power button simply not working. My issue is different.

Randomly, the other day, my power button decided it was being pressed. it still clicks just fine, but it will not respond when I press it. Instead, it thinks it is constantly being pressed. Besides the screen toggles and the power off/restart dialog popping up, I know this is happening because when I put a battery in, it turns on right away... and when I toggle the ringer switch a bunch of times it restarts.

I'm just so annoyed because everything else about this particular pre (#5) is sooo solid... and it looks like I have no choice but to go through palm again. Last time they told me that they cannot waive the $30 advance exchange fee. anyone have any luck with that? I canceled Asurion, because they are useless at this point.... and my Pre is my first Sprint phone, so it's not like I have a backup to switch to. hopefully they will do an advance exchange....

Is anyone else having this problem? I've seen scattered mentions of it on the other power button threads... but it doesn't seem to be a common problem. I guess I will try the doctor.. but I doubt it will help..

Please do not respond to this thread with posts about a power button that is simply non-responsive. plz just respond if you are having the issue where the power button seems physically fine but thinks you are pressing it down.

I had exactly the same problem. Along with that problem my phone also thought I was pressing the volume down. I have uberkernel and all my problems stopped when the latest update for uberkernel came out. I don't know if it was just a coincidence though.
  3.    #3  
    interesting.. Right now I'm running unpatched but if there's even a 10% chance that this could be software related, it might be worth it to see the dr, then install uber b4 calling palm
    OP-
    As much as you don't want to hear it, I still think it's related to the same problem underneath the button that everybody else has.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    OP-
    As much as you don't want to hear it, I still think it's related to the same problem underneath the button that everybody else has.
    +1
  6.    #6  
    OP-
    Nah -- when I had this issue before the power button could still be triggered by popping off the button and pressing it with a paper clip. While it's true that this is caused by the same part, it is a different issue... so it would take a different method to repair it.
    Just received my replacement Palm Pre from AT+T (under the 1 yr manufacture warranty) for a bad power switch. Here's my deal - power switch working fine and all of a sudden doesn't work at all - no intermittent probs -just quit. Can't turn on or off w/power switch. If I put it on touchstone it wakes up and I can use it - when it times out and shuts down it won't turn back on with switch. Can't turn it off once it's on - has to time out. It turns on when I open slider and the phone works normal. The switch feels like it's working fine but it's dead.
    I've been a loyal Palm user since the Palm Pilot. I had a Treo 650 for 3-4 years and put it through hell in a dirty workplace. Never had a mechanical problem of any kind so I know they can make a good switch that will last. I'm on my 3rd Pre Plus now (1st 2 kept dying). I love this phone and webOS but I long for mechanical stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAbnkr View Post
    Nah -- when I had this issue before the power button could still be triggered by popping off the button and pressing it with a paper clip. While it's true that this is caused by the same part, it is a different issue... so it would take a different method to repair it.
    If the button is "stuck" it may take the exact same method to repair it. Take the phone to a Sprint repair center and see if they can replace the contact piece. This is what they do to non-responsive buttons, it may also work in your case.

Or you can try it yourself. Remove the plastic button, use some small tweezers or something to lift the small contact piece underneath, but a word of caution, you may easily damage it or lose it and end up having to take the phone to Sprint anyway.
    OP-
    Yep. I agree. My second Pre's power button just went bad (after 1 month), and I did the "pop of the button and put a piece of paper under it" routine, and my pieced of paper was a little to big, and the result was like as if the power button was being pressed continuously. So I had to go in and make it smaller. It's a pain, but I don't feel like driving into Kansas City to a Sprint store.
    Twitter: adamcarter