Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Last edited by tarhead; 08/14/2010 at 06:31 PM.
    This is my first smartphone so I really can't tell you much. But, I will say that I like the Pre alot because it isn't really businessy. I don't want businessy. If all you want is business then maybe you should go back to your 755, but do what is best for you.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    very small minority require a phone to be what you want.. Laptops work great for spreadsheets though
    Document editing by way of an office suite is way overdue. And I don't agree that we are a minority.
    I disagree, very few people I know would rather do document editing on a phone, when they can use a laptop just as easy. I have an internet card for my laptop, and I have no limitations. Smartphones are for calling, social networking, entertainment and very basic pim. Trust me, computer companies will never let smartphones replace laptops. It's not in their best interests
    Classic for Pre is best way to restore document and spreadsheet editing abilities. The browser on the PRE is great, but I sorely miss the calendar functionality of my Centro. Smart phones were conceived for business people! Who wants to lug around a lap top when the Smartphone in your pocket will suffice? It doesn't seem like the PRE was intended to be a serious business device as much as a nifty toy for social gad abouts and gamers! I've added almost 150.00 worth of programs since originally purchasing the PRE and it STILL falls short of what I could do with the Centro! This is disconcerting to say the least! Then even more discouraging when I see ads on TV showing how Blackberry is now producing a slide out keyboard device - all these other device manufacturers have emulated Palm and now the PRE but they seem to actually have devices designed for business!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    we are not the minority. It is overdue, and 'making due' with classic doesn't count.
    and blackberries' new os is more of a rip off than just the phone LOOKING like a pre, look at the os. It looks like a visually impaired version of webOS
    I need spreadsheet editing too. Not the minority!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I disagree, very few people I know would rather do document editing on a phone, when they can use a laptop just as easy. I have an internet card for my laptop, and I have no limitations. Smartphones are for calling, social networking, entertainment and very basic pim. Trust me, computer companies will never let smartphones replace laptops. It's not in their best interests
    Totally disagree. Your circle of friends may not use this, but coming from many years of Treo usage (650 & 680's) and Moderating a Treo forum during that time, this is a very big thing for mobile professionals. A big part of using a smartphone is not having to lug a laptop around but still having the power of one in your hand. This is the single area that I miss the most on the Treo's - being able to have a full office in my hand. Being able to review AND edit spreadsheets and word docs is a huge thing for mobile business people...and has been for a long time.

Palm developed that market and now doesn't have a solution for the market they created. Spreadsheets aren't only used by accountants - I use them all day, every day for keeping supply info, customer data for multiple locations that gets changed all the time, etc... Things I simply cannot do with any other work-around program. Right now, Palm missing an office suite has created a lot of extra work for me as I have to manually update data when I get back to a computer (and no, I'm not going to start lugging a laptop around to deal with this issue) - when I used to be able to do everything on the fly from an office app on my Treo and simply sync the files with the main database with the push of a single button. I love webOS, but truly miss and need this functionality brought back soon. I'm in Chicago, on the go all the time, and my phone is my office. No one is talking about 'replacing' a laptop. Palm created the market for smartphones and did this largely on the fact that older models had an office suite in them that allowed you to carry all of your documents with you to meetings and service calls without the pain of the size/weight/cost of a laptop.

Tell you what... you saying "Smartphones are for calling, social networking, entertainment and very basic pim. Trust me, computer companies will never let smartphones replace laptops. It's not in their best interests" is a great quote.

Other great quotes like yours are:

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
    - Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of DEC

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processings is a fad that won't last out the year."
    - The editor in charge of business books for Prentice-Hall, 1957

The fact is, this is a market that you may think is a minority, but in actuality is a very large and world-wide market segment for the mobile professionals.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/09/2010 at 01:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Totally agree, document editing is needed.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    totally agree w/ you HelloNNNewman.

It's like how 'everyone has windows 7' and 'windows 7 is the best selling OS for MS ever'.... Yet last stat I saw was a week or so ago saying like 89% of pc's have xp.
    Document editing is one of the few things that keeps me from ditching my laptop for weeks at a time.
    [QUOTE=HelloNNNewman;2596418]A big part of using a smartphone is not having to lug a laptop around but still having the power of one in your hand .... being able to have a full office in my hand is a huge thing for mobile business people...and has been for a long time.

Palm developed that market and now doesn't have a solution for the market they created. Right now, Palm missing an office suite has created a lot of extra work for me as I have to manually update data when I get back to a computer (and no, I'm not going to start lugging a laptop around to deal with this issue) - when I used to be able to do everything on the fly from an office app on my Treo and simply sync the files with the main database with the push of a single button. I love webOS, but truly miss and need this functionality brought back soon. QUOTE]

A very hearty AMEN!! This is what the smartphone should be! The convergence of work and fun doesnt have to be on two seperate devices as has been proven by most of the old PALM devices. Give me a Treo, and the form factor of the TX, with the power of the WebOS, and I'm in heaven!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I disagree, very few people I know would rather do document editing on a phone, when they can use a laptop just as easy.
    I think the key part of this sentence is "WHEN [emp mine] they can use a laptop just as easy."

There are many times that I either did not have a laptop near me or it was too big for my immediate needs. Document editing/creation comes in handy at some predictable and UNpredictable times. I carry my gadgets with me quite often but my phone is the only one that I ALWAYS have with me. So, it would be nice if I could perform "office" functions on it.

...especially since, as the op stated, my old Treo (650 and) 755p did this without my having to pay extra. It was a little odd, going to an "upgrade" device that downgrades certain functionality.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I agree and disagree. I don't think anyone is going to sit down with their smartphone and author a complex spreadsheet full of calculations and charts, nor will they sit down and edit a complex proposal with all the fancy formatting and links.

However, I think that most smartphone users would like the ability to be able to view these and make minor tweaks here and there. To the point of having a smartphone is to use it to do work when away from a computer -- in a taxi, on a park bench, on a bus, at the mall while holding the wife's purse while she is trying on the umpteenth piece of clothing, etc.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    having the ability to create & edit soreadsheets on a phone has no negatives for the social folks. The whole reason I walked away from candy bars was the ability to 'work' - not always business related, spreadsheets exist by the dozens in my recreational world. Many of the apps that exist (mileage trackers are a great example) only exist in my phone because of the lack of spreadsheet capability.

we're not talking quantum leap here - palm has a warehouse of techie types..

and saying that I could whip out a laptop - rather than my phone is just backwards.

when going to the beach do you take a refrigerator or do you take a cooler?

if you have no experience with document editors in your phone, or no use for it - I can appreciate your position, and that's fine - however, if you exist in a business environment and you have pulled your phone out to do some catch-up work while lounging at your favorite tree by the river - this hole in the palm pre is big enough to swallow a tractor trailer...

I would love for this phone to become a smartphone again
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Some of you are silly, why do you think that 'business' phones need to be square-rigid and ugly? The Pre has the ability to be a slick-business class device... And it missed out. Currently, as it stands, it is purely a consumer-level entertainment device.
    Why do you think that we/I want document editing to replace our laptops? We don't.
    We want to be able to work on our documents, or our colleagues documents if they call us needing help. There are far too many scenarios where we'd need to use our small-screened, small-keyboarded devices to edit these documents.

So, we need this platform to get a Mobile Office like WinMo has.
    Agree absolutely; I badly want full office functions on the Pre. I LOVED the Centro and miss what I could do. Conversely, I'd never go back to it and lose webOS.
    Here's hoping that HP, much more of a business machine producer, pushes this- hopefully as stock apps on new devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    Some of you are silly, why do you think that 'business' phones need to be square-rigid and ugly?
    I agree, the problem is that for phones to be all things to all people is impossible.

Just look at the EVO -- it gets slammed by people for only being able to do 30 frames per second graphics when all that really impacts is 3D gaming. Yet at the same time it gets lauded for DocumentsToGo to allow full editing of PDF, PowerPoint, etc.

It seems we are always going to have trade-offs that have to be made, that is why there is no one perfect phone. For some it is the Pre, for others it is the EVO, for others it is something completely different.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I agree, the problem is that for phones to be all things to all people is impossible.
    I don't believe the original assertion was to make a phone that was "all things to all people". It was, rather, when a company makes a quantum leap forward with their product offerings they should not do it in conjunction with a giant step backwards in functionality. Document editing ability should never have been a topic of discussion for a Palm device. The question should have been whether or not it would seamlessly interface with my SharePoint server or when will I be able to access Office Live?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast