1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I've owned a Palm Pre for almost a year now and although I love the webOS, after the 1.4 upgrade I can't stop having problems. The phone freezes out of nowhere. It might be charging, playing music, browsing through contacts and the phone will freeze. Sometimes it freezes even while talking on the phone. It's veeeeery annoying. I had Preware installed in the first device I had (I'm now on my 3rd one). I hadn't installed any patches or anything because I didn't want to spend much time dealing with problems/upgrades etc. I was only using Preware to install homebrew apps. I searched around the forum and saw that some people were facing similar issues (freezes, screen not turning on when power button pressed etc), but they said that they couldn't really find what the real problem was. I want to keep my Pre, but these freezes (at least 3 times a day) over a 3-4 month period have really made me start considering about switching to an Android phone. Please help me!

Michael
    My Sprint Pre does this when memory gets full. Using compcache in Uberkernel can really keep the original Pre form hitting that wall so abruptly.

Basically the stock kernel doesn't handle memory management very well. Using a custom kernel can really help you out here.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    You've owned a Pre for almost a year, and this is your first post?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  4.    #4  
    Hi NickDG,

I don't think that the problems lies on the memory. I hard-rebooted the phone yesterday and I was trying to link my facebook contacts with my google/outlook contacts. Every four-five contacts i would link, the phone would freeze and reboot (usually while scrolling). Do you think that's a memory issue?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mchatzim View Post
    Hi NickDG,

I don't think that the problems lies on the memory. I hard-rebooted the phone yesterday and I was trying to link my facebook contacts with my google/outlook contacts. Every four-five contacts i would link, the phone would freeze and reboot (usually while scrolling). Do you think that's a memory issue?

Thanks
    If you have a custom kernel, the remove and reinstall. If you don't, then you can just doctor the pre and that should help.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    You've owned a Pre for almost a year, and this is your first post?
    Whenever I had issues I would visit the forum and search for solutions. Is this soooo bad that this is my first post? What was the point of your post? Did you give me a suggestion? A solution maybe? The answer is NO.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    If you have a custom kernel, the remove and reinstall. If you don't, then you can just doctor the pre and that should help.
    I was trying to avoid the doctor thing, but since you are suggesting to do so, I will try it! I hope it works!

Thanks
    Whenever I had issues I would visit the forum and search for solutions. Is this soooo bad that this is my first post? What was the point of your post? Did you give me a suggestion? A solution maybe? The answer is NO.
    Just a question. You probably need to doctor your phone to fix the issue. Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I was trying to avoid the doctor thing, but since you are suggesting to do so, I will try it! I hope it works!

Thanks
    Use Save/restore and Pre backup Utility to back up all your stuff and doctor. Preware should have a list of all your saved packages too. Hope this helps. With that combo, I pretty much doctor my phone for fun somethings. With Pre Backup Utility, I an backup my messages and save/restore saves all my app data, so I'm pretty much covered after I doctor.

Use Save/restore and Pre backup Utility to back up all your stuff and doctor. Preware should have a list of all your saved packages too. Hope this helps. With that combo, I pretty much doctor my phone for fun somethings. With Pre Backup Utility, I an backup my messages and save/restore saves all my app data, so I'm pretty much covered after I doctor.
    You still lose text messaging history though don't you? I thought I remembered Rod saying on the last Palmcast that restoring text messaging history messes with the synergy database and could really mess with webOS.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You still lose text messaging history though don't you? I thought I remembered Rod saying on the last Palmcast that restoring text messaging history messes with the synergy database and could really mess with webOS.
    Well, thats probably what happened to me then. Because i was having problems with texting about a couple of weeks ago. i just doctored and started fresh

I don't think any of those backup things work. I perform a doc yesterday, thought everything was save. Those things are useless. Once you perform a doc, be prepared to install back everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I don't think any of those backup things work. I perform a doc yesterday, thought everything was save. Those things are useless. Once you perform a doc, be prepared to install back everything.
    they work for me lol. Save and restore pretty much restores all my stuff back. You just have to actually use the apps first before you restore info back.

they work for me lol. Save and restore pretty much restores all my stuff back. You just have to actually use the apps first before you restore info back.
    Then I must be doing something wrong. Just to test it out, I'm prepared to doctor again, this time making sure to save them.
    Last edited by rush; 08/08/2010 at 06:47 PM.
    if you are not overclocking you should consider it -- do you use jstop? this might help mitigate a memory problem -- if this is a 1st gen pre then it is most likely a memory problem IMHO -- maybe try the F105 kernel ?? and try pushing the compcache up to 32mb .. these things might help -- if you have had your phone for a year and never visited the doc then you will most likely solve your problem this way too -- it will be like a spring cleaning -- but be prepared -- don't jump at it on a whim -- take notes for a couple of days of the aps you use and back up anything you can as you might be surprised by the things you have to re-install ----

me -- i am always running to the doctor because i cannot leave the phone alone -- -drives my wife crazy but i have gotten really good at the doctor thing -- have it down to between 1 and 2 hours back up to 100%

i wish you good luck
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I use the webOS doctor repair utility instead of the webOS doctor. Way easier, and faster.
    also use jstop, really helps let you know what's going on besides the obvious of helping speed things up. Compcache, just awesome.
    I think this is a problem with all palm phones cuz my pixi did it and my pre is doing it and also charge doesnt stay D: idk whats going on but hp should try to fix all this
    Quote Originally Posted by low3 View Post
    I think this is a problem with all palm phones cuz my pixi did it and my pre is doing it and also charge doesnt stay D: idk whats going on but hp should try to fix all this
    your post sucks --- i cannot even understand what you are trying to say -- if you are implying that all palm products act this way then i beg to differ
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch