Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope this thread is OK for this forum. I've been looking to get a new phone for a year or so and when the Palm Pre came out for Sprint I was excited. But I also knew there were other phones that were just around the corner, so I waited. Then Palm got sold off to HP. And now 4G phones are coming out.

My big fear is that I always end up getting obsolete tech. My current phone, the HTC Touch, basically was discontinued like a few months after I got it (lol). My big fear is that, with Palm sort of in limbo (or so it seems right now), I'm basically ending up with a phone where they're basically hoping people buy the rest of their inventory that's laying around.

Some quick points:
    I know 4G is not available in most areas, so I'm not saying that a 3G phone is obsolete. But the processing speed and speed on network of the Pre seems far less than that of the 4G HTC. (I tried loading webpages and running Google Maps on both.)

I'm not big into apps, but I think the number of apps available reflects how many people are using a phone. And I don't get the sense that people are really focused on Palm's Linux-based system. It seems like Android phones are the future. True? False?

Thanks for any insight and sorry if this thread should be somewhere else.
    Palm's operating system is the strength of the Pre
    HP would be foolish not to parlay this advantage by developing superior hardware for it
    HP made some outstanding PDAs & I suspect coupled with Palm's expertise in smartphones, they will develop a world beater with the next Pre
  3.    #3  
    Well, that's all well and good, but that's assuming HP doesn't just shelve the Pre. I mean, there's no indication that I have that they're really interested in doing anything with it right now. That's my point: it seems like the Android phones are the "new wave" of OS and I don't really see any other product with the Pre's OS even in development.
    Focus on the OS, not the phone (Pre).
    i'm pretty sure i've seen articles where HP explcitly states that they are going to be putting webOS on smartphones still.

and just about any piece of electronics is going to be old news about 5 months after you get it, especially in the smartphone area.
  6.    #6  
    I *am* focusing on the OS. If it was just the phone, I'm leaning towards the Pre still. I like the small size much more than the gigantic 4G phones. I like the "card" system. I think the calendar/appointment functionality (which is important to me) is the best on the market. The keyboard is a little cramped, but I can live with it.

The problem is my fear that the phone is a dead end, both in OS and community. Like I said, I don't get the sense that there's a lot of development for it, at least compared to Android phones or the iPhone. I mean no disrespect to anyone here, but I constantly get the feeling that there's hardly anyone using the Pre. The Pre made a huge splash last year ...then Palm collapsed and now when I mention that I'm interested in the Pre still people give me odd looks, like I'm telling them I'm getting a VHS player. And it's the only phone with its OS, which also makes me leery. I feel like there aren't going to be any more updates for it and we'll be stuck with "this is what you get."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    and just about any piece of electronics is going to be old news about 5 months after you get it, especially in the smartphone area.
    Well, yes, but that's the point. The Pre is about a year old and the new 4G phones (the HTC and Samsung's 4G is coming out this month, supposedly) are brand new. So I'm sort of like "why get last year's phone when I can get the newest one?"
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Well, that's all well and good, but that's assuming HP doesn't just shelve the Pre. I mean, there's no indication that I have that they're really interested in doing anything with it right now. That's my point: it seems like the Android phones are the "new wave" of OS and I don't really see any other product with the Pre's OS even in development.
    they did not do this to shelve the innovative Pre and its OS
    why ever would they waste their money???
    Once you get to know the Pre and webOS, I think this conversation becomes moot. Worst case senario, if you're with Sprint you can upgrade to a different phone after a year.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I've been looking to get a new phone for a year or so and when the Palm Pre came out for Sprint I was excited. But I also knew there were other phones that were just around the corner, so I waited.

My big fear is that I always end up getting obsolete tech.
    Newsflash: There are ALWAYS other phones "just around the corner." Don't worry about it, get what you want NOW, otherwise you'll be waiting forever.

In my opinion, webOS is the best operating system for mobile phones, it will just keep getting better.

The problem is my fear that the phone is a dead end, both in OS and community.
    Then get something else. You've already been waiting a year, that's a year wasted. Try something, anything but don't sit around wondering if you should have gotten "this phone" or "that phone."

Good luck with what you decide, but decide on SOMETHING!
    Fact: HP intends to "double down" on webOS, the Pre's operating system.

Fact: The Pre will be able to run the next version of webOS, coming out before the end of the year.

Fact: webOS devices are unlikely to catch up to iPhone or Android in number of apps or number of devices out there any time soon.

I would not hesitate to recommend a Pre, but there are rumors of another device coming. So as long as you've waited this long, I'd recommend waiting a couple more months to see if there is new hardware from Palm. My guess is we'll get new hardware by Christmas, but that's just complete conjecture at this point. Either way, I think your fears of having an unsupported device are unfounded.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    they did not do this to shelve the innovative Pre and its OS
    why ever would they waste their money???
    Palm's huge patent portfolio?
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
    I bought a Pre a year after it launched, how old it is doesn't bother me a bit.

I wanted a phone with certain features and it has them. I also wanted one where making alterations and/or adding functionality was easy and it has that, too.

If you aren't sure, remember that you can always pick up a Pre, without going through your carrier. Grab a cheap one off of Ebay or Craigs List. Just make sure it has a good ESN. Then, if you do decide you don't like, you aren't stuck with it and haven't invested a lot of money.

I'm on Sprint and since I didn't get my phone through them, picking up a used one allowed me to keep full upgrade eligibility on both of my lines.

I don't usually get phones through them, but I figured that the option to upgrade is good to have, just in case. I have no way of knowing how rough my son is going to be on his phone or if I may like the new Palm when it comes out and decide I want to get it on launch day.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    A couple of things...

First, you may be right that the Pre is dead, you are wrong on the community. The folks here on P|C are second to none, they will not die.

If you've waited a year, I would not get the Pre now. You've shown you have patience. If it is webOS you want, I would continue waiting until the next gen devices come out. If it goes past the holiday season without a peep of a webOS smartphone, then I would quit waiting. However, if you want the best phone available now, get an EVO or Epic. Worst case scenario is you hate it, and can jump on a webOS phone in a year.

The only thing you gain by waiting is a loss of patience.
    Verwon makes a good point, buy used and try it out. Thus saving your upgrade. Then you get the best of all, a Pre now, time to wait and see if Palm comes out with something new you can use your upgrade on.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks, everyone.

I'm excited to hear that *possibly* there might be new hardware for the OS this year. I think I'll wait a month or so (max) so that people can review and break in the Samsung 4G that's coming out. If no word on new hardware, I can at least compare the 4G phones with the Pre at that point. (But I'm thinking that the Pre is going to lose out at that point.)

Thanks for all the input.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I have a hunch that HP-Palm will announce a new phone in next 30-60 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    I have a hunch that HP-Palm will announce a new phone in next 30-60 days.
    I think that's pretty safe.

And are we *really* still having a debate about what HP tends to do with Palm and webOS? They've stated so strongly since the acquisition closed that they intend to dominate mobile, including smartphones (very specifically), tablets, etc., that if they weren't to come out with new webOS smartphones it would amount to investor fraud. Come on people, please give it a rest.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    They've stated so strongly since the acquisition closed that they intend to dominate mobile, including smartphones (very specifically)...
    Can you point to these? I have seen over and over again about "interconnected mobile devices" but, from what I have seen they are very careful about not using the term "smartphone".

You can interpret "mobile devices" to mean "smartphones", but you can also interpret it to just mean slates, netbooks, e-readers, etc.

Prior to the acquisition everyone was saying "just wait until after the acquisition and you will see a ton of annoucements", but those have yet to materialize.

IMHO we can only go by what we know for a fact, which as of right now is, unfortunately, nothing. Remember these are the same people that said we would have Flash in the first half of 2010, and 1.4.5 in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Verwon makes a good point, buy used and try it out. Thus saving your upgrade. Then you get the best of all, a Pre now, time to wait and see if Palm comes out with something new you can use your upgrade on.
    Thanks!

And exactly, I have my Pre, which I love and enjoy, but I only paid $160 for it, with two Touchstones, on Ebay and if they release a new Palm that I love, I still have that option open.

Not to mention that I never know what type of phone my 15 year-old might want next! LOL!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast