Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Up until now my Pre's alarm clock has functioned normally, but as of last week this piece of crap app decides to start snoozing until the next day instead of ten minutes from now all on it's own. I'm <mad> because I rely on my alarm to wake me up in time for work and I overslept the first time this happened and was 20 mins late to work.

I tried looking for snooze settings but they're not in the alarm app, nor in date & time and I even tried installing the More snooze durations patch but none of it worked. All snoozed alarms reset it to the next day instead of 10 mins after it went off. WHY?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/07/2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: posting around language filter & title edit
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrandonf View Post
    Up until now my Pre's alarm clock has functioned normally, but as of last week this piece of crap app decides to start snoozing until the next day instead of ten minutes from now all on it's own. I'm <mad> because I rely on my alarm to wake me up in time for work and I overslept the first time this happened and was 20 mins late to work.

I tried looking for snooze settings but they're not in the alarm app, nor in date & time and I even tried installing the More snooze durations patch but none of it worked. All snoozed alarms reset it to the next day instead of 10 mins after it went off. WHY?
    Probabaly not the answer you are looking for, but i use Timepiece as my alarm clock, I find it very reliable and full featured.
    I'm not sure why the stock alarm app plays up but it is definitely a bug. I'm pretty sure that Hardbeatz has a thread asking about bugs, so you might want to say about it in there.

Pip
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/07/2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
    Don't take this the wrong way, but for something as important as making it to work on time, I recommend using a regular alarm clock.
    I just use the alarm clock already on the Pre. What advantages does an alarm clock app provide?

(I actually use 2 alarm clocks - my Pre, and a Sony clock radio).
    +1 on the regular alarm clock, they are real inexpensive at wal-mart
    You always have phone with you though...
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    You always have phone with you though...
    But unless you sleep at random places each night, a regular alarm clock is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    But unless you sleep at random places each night, a regular alarm clock is better.
    Im in a different hotel every night... its part of field service... and YES the hotels have alarm clocks, but you always have to figure out if its right, how to work it... and then sometimes you discover it doesnt ring etc.

Instead of telling the guy that he should simply get an alarm clock, offering some help to diagnose the problem on his phone would have been better... after all... this IS PreCentral... not alarmclockcentral....
    jbrandonf can you tell us if youve made any changes to your phone recently? Added patches, apps, over clocking etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    Instead of telling the guy that he should simply get an alarm clock, offering some help to diagnose the problem on his phone would have been better... after all... this IS PreCentral... not alarmclockcentral....
    So what is your solution?

Getting to work on time is important. First and foremost, I would buy a dependable alarm clock so I don't end up getting fired for being late. A phone alarm may be a good backup but if it's already shown to have problems, I would never rely totally on it.

Sure, it would be nice to find out the problem with the Pre's alarm, but in the meantime, use something reliable until a fix is discovered.

Edit: The first thing I would do would be to restart the phone if you haven't already.
    I have timepiece and it works very nice. I like and use the train sound. Last week my alarm clock broke and I used just my pre for a few days. Had to get a new one. These phones sometimes have a mind of it's own,so I would not trust it to be my one and only way of waking up. What app are you using? It would help if we new what you were using.
    get an iphone
    fixed

I have heard about this issue a lot... Not sure if other alarm apps fix it or not. I like timepiece as well. If you get it let us know if it fixes the issue.
    Here's another vote for TimePiece
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Here's another vote for TimePiece
    Timepiece isn't bug free either, it also misses alarms. Now, the question is whether it's the Timepiece app itself or the clock system on the Pre. I imagine Timepiece somehow ties itself in with the Pre's clock so these missed alarms could just be a webOS bug.

Here is one user who had issues with missing alarms:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/2534450-post771.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/2541257-post777.html

Granted, that's only one user and many others have no issues so it's difficult to say what is causing the problem without being able to consistently repeat it.

The Developer of Timepiece is looking for beta testers to test the latest version of Timepiece, which may fix the missed alarm problem.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/2592405-post787.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    get an iphone
    fixed
    Umm nope, I had two of my colleagues in my job before uni desciplined when their iphone alarm didn't go off.
    I had a friend be late as hell to an exam because his iphone alarm didn't go off, lucky he has a friend like me who noticed he wasn't outside the exam hall.
    I could go on, fact of the matter is that phone alarm are super useful but are not 100% reliable, that goes for any phone.

Pip
    Trekker, i've used TimePiece daily for about half a year now. It only had an issue once, a couple of months ago, when suddenly the app "expired" and didn't work for anybody at all for about two or three days.

Everybody told the dev and he promptly told everybody what happened (apparently, he had left the homebrew version in the official catalog accidentally).

He said he submitted the fix within 20 minutes of learning about the app's crash, but the 2 or 3 day delay to the catalog was because it had to go through whatever processes at Palm before they can release it.

That was the only "bug" that i'm aware of. Have you had any other problems with it?

Btw, while i also would think the app would depend on the Pre's clock, it doesn't seem to have the same disease that the Pre's clock has.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Trekker, i've used TimePiece daily for about half a year now. It only had an issue once, a couple of months ago, when suddenly the app "expired" and didn't work for anybody at all for about two or three days.

That was the only "bug" that i'm aware of. Have you had any other problems with it?
    I don't use it that much, mainly for quick reminders. For important stuff (like waking up for work) I don't depend on a phone alarm, although it makes a good backup.

See the links in my previous post, there was one user who had problems with Timepiece and there is also a link from the Developer who says that the disappearing alarm problem is a "Palm" issue and he has a new version of Timepiece that he hopes solves it.
  18.    #18  
    I've been overclocking for a couple months now, and at that point I hadn't added any patches. The issue isn't that I'm missing alarms but that the snooze idiotically won't ring ten minutes from now, instead choosing to just reset the alarm for the same time the next day.

The app still works (I've been using it exclusively for over 10 months) but the snooze is fudged up. I bought timepiece (wish the icon was more webOS-y) and I'm on edge about trusting it completely but who knows. I may just set two alarms 10 mins apart as a workaround.
    I use mine all the time without any issues. I travel a lot an it always works. I never use snooze, because sometimes the touch screen thinks I am hitting dismiss. It could also be another app messing with it, if something is running in the background. Like another alarm app.
    I rarely use or need an alarm, so not an issue for me.

Simple solution: Don't snooze! LOL!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast