1.    #1  
    Guys, looking to either install uber 1.4.2-29 or pre kernal 1.4.3 (is that the version in the catalog???) I don't multitask and I primarily use my phone as a phone.

Yes, I know I can overclock using uber. What other tweaks are in there that make it worth running vs. stock?

As to the stock 1.4.3, what fixes and optimizations were included? I know it's a minor update, but still.

Thanks for any info or links to info yall provide.
    If you don't multitask, why did you buy this phone if I may ask? It's like buying a Ferrari and saying you're not into red italian sports cars that much.

The stock kernel is the stock kernel. There are no fixes or optimizations as it is STOCK. Hence the name. If you use one of the OC kernels, you can uninstall it and reinstall the stock kernel from preware in case something goes wrong.

UK lets you overclock as well as create a compcache swapfile on your harddrive that will let you multitask even more. It will also give you some heat safety features connected to overclocking and it will void the ever-living bejeesus out of your warranty.

That being said, why do you want to install a kernel even though you have no idea what it is they do, and obviously no impetus to actually search and read the appropriate threads. Do you want to install one because everyone else is doing it?
  3.    #3  
    gsh - you assume a bit about my knowledge. I full well know what a kernel does. I've compiled my own on several machines... just not on this phone. I know that UK is used for clocking a pre. I know that the stock kernel is stock and won't have any optimizations, except for the kernel I am asking about isn't the one on my pre right now. I am running 1.4.2, the one in preware is 1.4.3, different revision number means changes were made. That could be code optimizations, stability improvements, latency improvements, etc... It's like comparing a 05 impala to an 06 impala - there were changes made. Some may make a difference, or they may not. I wasn't asking for an opinion on whether you thought the improvements matter to me but for answers as to what was changed. If I wanted to be sneered at for seeking hard data on revisions... I would have asked for that. If you know where the change log is for the kernel, I'll gladly go and parse them myself. I have done a search, and I couldn't find them.

UK - does it only allow for compache (basically a compressed swap file or partition from what I can see... more like a file) as well as the ability to overclock or is there more to it than those two things? Usually, there are hundreds of options that can be compiled as a service or directly into the kernel. Was there anything else besides the two I mentioned compiled into the kernel? Heat safety features... like temperature triggered frequency scaling to keep you from frying your cpu? I'd expect that from an overclocking kernel.

Why did I buy the phone? I heard it could tether, which I have configured. It has a large internal HD that I can use as a usb drive on my PC. It was supposed to be able to sync with iTunes and act as a mp3 player that I could use in my car. Apple has stopped playing nice, but I can still use it as an aux input for music. I could care less if the phone can only surf or talk (but it'll do both simultaneously). Even phones that don't do multitasking the same way as the pre will play media files while I talk using a headset so that wasn't a consideration. I got the pre because I was sick of my BB, wanted a 3g smart phone, and I didn't like the other options presented.

"If you don't multitask, why did you buy this phone if I may ask? It's like buying a Ferrari and saying you're not into red italian sports cars that much." Name 1 smart phone that can't run multiple programs at the same time on the market today? I knew about compamche, and it isn't of any benefit to me. The ability to overclock is novel, but the way I use my phone it would have the limited benefit of opening cards a little bit faster but not much actual impact.
    Read this thread or at least the first post and it has links:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html

UberKernel will speed up more than just "opening cards." It speeds up everything. If you don't have a pre plus, compache will help avoid the too many cards errors. Govnah will allow you to tweak your kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    "If you don't multitask, why did you buy this phone if I may ask? It's like buying a Ferrari and saying you're not into red italian sports cars that much." Name 1 smart phone that can't run multiple programs at the same time on the market today? I knew about compamche, and it isn't of any benefit to me. The ability to overclock is novel, but the way I use my phone it would have the limited benefit of opening cards a little bit faster but not much actual impact.
    I didn't know there were other phones "Other than Iphone 4" that can multitask. I also know of absolutely no phone that multitasks like the Pre. And of course the only other phone I'm talking about would be, yet again, the Iphone 4.

If it means anything, I was wondering the exact thing about Uberkernel. Ive got it installed, but keep it running at 500Mhz. Haven't really had a chance to do any thorough testing and thrashing, but its been VERY stable for me.

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Well, to answer the OP's main question, there is no listing of changes in that particular kernel version, but I believe it's just a GSM-specific version. Everything else in the kernel is the same as 1.4.1/1.4.1.1 for the rest of us.
  7.    #7  
    Quarles - Thanks. I have a gsm phone so now I'm really curious about what changes were made. I wonder if I can get it out of palm directly.

guilty - they may not be using true multi tasking, but most smart phones can run multiple programs at once without issues. I was able to browse the web and use pandora on my BB, it is was about as low end as they got... a 8520 (edge, not g3).
  8.    #8  
    Just decided to go with UK. Running 500/800 screenstate. Feels a little snappier coming out of sleep/opening an app. Pretty much what I expected. The thread linked above basically said that UK is the stock kernel with the CPU temp sensor enabled, campache, and the processor speeds available instead of locked at 500.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Just decided to go with UK. Running 500/800 screenstate. Feels a little snappier coming out of sleep/opening an app. Pretty much what I expected. The thread linked above basically said that UK is the stock kernel with the CPU temp sensor enabled, campache, and the processor speeds available instead of locked at 500.
    I've had a Palm Pre since September and installed this kernel for the 1st time. I've also installed a lot of other patches, and I must say that the patches and the OC are making me rethink whether I want to upgrade to the EVO or EPIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolqf View Post
    I've had a Palm Pre since September and installed this kernel for the 1st time. I've also installed a lot of other patches, and I must say that the patches and the OC are making me rethink whether I want to upgrade to the EVO or EPIC.
    I totally understand. I just doctored my phone tonight to get rid of an old program issue (my fault) and after going back to the stock speed kernal, I totally got a renewed appreciation for the OC kernals, patches, and Homebrew apps that make this a completely different phone! (IMHO) It truly does keep up with the 'newer' devices on the market.
  11.    #11  
    HelloNNNewman - I completely agree. I've got a pre plus, not a sprint pre but the same sentiment applies.

I originally bought the phone for my wife so she could tether with it. It didn't have any other purpose, but it's iPod emulation to iTunes was a bonus. She has an aux input in her car and I thought it would be nice if she could carry some music with her instead of a bunch of cd's.

Then I found out ATT wouldn't support tethering. She got the nokia I was going to use instead (e71x) because it tethers so easily. I tried to get MHS working, still haven't but I did get usb tethering working so that is a start. If you look at my first thread I ever did, you'll find I wasn't enthralled with the phone. Home brew has taken care of that for all but 1 or 2 of the issues (voice dialing is one). It's almost a completely different phone now and I find it serviceable. I have yet to find a perfect phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I totally understand. I just doctored my phone tonight to get rid of an old program issue (my fault) and after going back to the stock speed kernal, I totally got a renewed appreciation for the OC kernals, patches, and Homebrew apps that make this a completely different phone! (IMHO) It truly does keep up with the 'newer' devices on the market.
    I get reminded everyday how slow the stock kernel is when I set my Pre down on the Touchstone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13.    #13  
    NickDG - It reverts to 500 Mhz on any power source but a computer right?
    NickDG - It reverts to 500 Mhz on any power source but a computer right?
    Yeah anything over 500ma.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  15.    #15  
    That doesn't make sense. Why would it slow down when it has more power available? Is that a heat issue?
    That doesn't make sense. Why would it slow down when it has more power available? Is that a heat issue?
    I believe it is. Even with the stock kernel, the Pre has a tendency to get rather warm on the touchstone. Add to that, using an app at the same time can cause the temperatue to really rise. The UberKernel is designed to be as safe as possible while giving all the benefits of the OC kernels.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Guys, looking to either install uber 1.4.2-29 or pre kernal 1.4.3 (is that the version in the catalog???) I don't multitask and I primarily use my phone as a phone.

Yes, I know I can overclock using uber. What other tweaks are in there that make it worth running vs. stock?

As to the stock 1.4.3, what fixes and optimizations were included? I know it's a minor update, but still.

Thanks for any info or links to info yall provide.
    WebOS 1.4.3 is a Palm Pixi Plus Kernel that was released for AT&T Palm Pixi Plus devices. As far as anyone knows, there is virtually no differences between 1.4.1.1, 1.4.2, and 1.4.3, though each one may have a different compile date, there should be no feature differences.

When it comes to which kernels to use, it really is up to you. You have your stable kernel that is available for your device, you have UberKernel for those who want a more mainstream overclocking kernel(or to add Compcache), and then you have the more cutting edge kernels.

At this point, F102 and F104 features have been rolled into UberKernel. Since F104 is a more feature-rich version of F102 based on my understanding, there is no real reason to run F102 or F104 compared to UberKernel since all top out at 800MHz and all the features are available.

You have Warthog which is where MANY experimental features from the different kernel trees come together, sort of the testing ground for future UberKernel releases. Note that Warthog can go from very stable to unstable from release to release since it really is on the bleeding edge of testing.

Marco, aka Unixpsycho releases the F102, F104, F105, and SR71 kernels, and because the focus is almost entirely on overclocking with the occasional governor work thrown in, these kernels TEND to only get more stable over time, with a few exceptions as certain voltage tweaks and features get worked on. While these are all considered "alpha" releases, with the possible exception of SR71, these kernels are VERY stable at this point. SR71 pushes the overclock to 1.2GHz, which is a bit too fast for most devices to handle.
    F105 or go home.
    love em both the same, but I like the stability of UK in the long run.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR