Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm considering getting a pre plus from att. I'm aware that the phone is old, but from what I hear the owners of pre's don't regret getting one. I guess what I'm asking is:

Should I get a pre?

Why have many users on these forums had so many? I read the posts but I guess I'm still a little confused..

Is it a good phone overall?

Sorry for the questions as I know they've already been answered, but I wanted a fresh take. Thanks guys/gals in advance for your help.
    The phone is amazing overall. One of the best in the world in my opinion. It would be perfect minus the hardware issues, which severely limit the ratings. webOS is rapidly evolving, and hopefully HP will fix hardware issues. If you keep good care of your phone, you shouldn't have issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    ^^ agreed

Granted the phone has been around for a while, but it is truly one of the only phones I've ever had that I STILL love to use every day (and I get bored with electronics quickly). WebOS is simply the smoothest OS on the market. No matter what OS you go to, there are people complaining about bad hardware. The first Pre's had some issues, but the current devices are great (with the exception of the occasional device - which is natural).

It's hard not to sound biased, but the phone is great, but the operating system (webOS) is simply fantastic! I really believe you wouldn't regret for a moment grabbing a Pre!
    yeah the phone is good. The app catalog doesn't have any good apps though.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Yeah, you might get some biased opinions on a Pre forum, lol. Either way, my take on the matter.

Cons: Hardware, not up to par. Not nearly as many apps as Android and iOS. No unzip utility (yeah, that's a con for me!) No widgets (Well, one, but it is kind of hard to use when you have all your apps open...)
    Pros: Easily the best mobile phone interface of all time. I tried using an Android phone before, and was disgusted by how ugly it was relatively, especially with their "multitasking" (don't get me wrong, I love Android, and happily own an Android Tablet. Compared to Pre's interface though, it is rotten) Do not even get me started on the iPhones bare-bones interface. On a more self-standing note, you will discover that you cannot live without the true Multitasking offered by the Pre. It is simply beautiful, and unmatched thusfar (Nokia is trying, worthy competitors) While it does not have many apps, it does nail down having most of the big important ones.

Biggest thing for me though, is the homebrew community. I know nothing about programming, yet I have installed over 30 app and interface altering patches into my phone, as well as overclocking it to run 300mhz more than it is supposed to! It is so ridiculously simple to do, anyone can do it! Not to mention the additional apps and themes offered. No rooting or jailbreaking required, the phone is open and ready to be used. Oh, and did I mention that the overclocking, theme changing and patching is all done from the phone itself, using the wonderful Preware?

Anyways, if you are looking for a simple phone, this works great. If you are looking for the most intuitive phone in the world, this also works great. Pretty much it is perfect for everyone. Enjoy!
    I got my pre plus 2 months ago. I found it a pretty poor example of a smart phone at first, but homebrew did a lot to fix that. You have a good support forum here, and most of the people don't shout RTFM or LMGTFY when you ask a question. The phone is very versatile after you start getting into homebrew apps and it becomes what a smart phone should start out as. I don't plan on replacing mine for now, except I might get a pixi and pass the pre off to the wife.
    The Pre is the best phone Ive ever owned and I cant picture myself leaving WebOS ever though I am switching from the Pre as I just ordered 4 Pixi+ for myself, husband and kids. Not because I like Pixi+ more (Ive never even held one) but because the security deposit would have been insane so I took Pixi+ instead. Loved my Centro and even like Blackberry but they dont even come close to the Pre. WebOS very user friendly. I didnt even read the manual just picked it up and it all came very naturally. The limited number of apps isnt really an issue for me. Ive found everything I need is available with the exception of BINGO! Someone please give me BINGO! Man I love that game and it would keep my 4 year old so busy in drs offices. But back to the Pre lol. Really I say go for it and you will not be sorry. Preware is a Godsend. It really is. It will be the first thing I install once the Pixi+ gets here. This community is amazing. The people here really know what they are talking about and are always willing to help. Add all of that together and I think you will be very happy with your Pre experience. Oh and there are some wonderful videos on YouTube about the Pre and how to use it. Lots of little tips that even after over a year I didnt know about. Ive been showing them to my husband (Pixi ones not Pre but both are on there) so hes ready when his gets here. Good luck! (one more plug for BINGO pretty please?)
    The Pre is only showing it's age because it was ahead of it's time.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
    don't think hardware is much an issue on pre + and most have been worked out on new ones regardless.
    hopefully a new palm phone is released before the end of the year but that ship I think has sailed so you might as well get one. More phone 4 the price probably now.
    I came from a Blackberry Tour and I have not regretted my decision to come to the Pre Plus or WebOS. It truly is a great OS! I just overclocked my Pre and I'm anxious to find out what else I can do. You won't be sorry once you get it. The keyboard does take some getting used to and there are some quirks but I can easily overlook them.
    I don't think you can go wrong with getting a pre now. I just upgraded from a dumbphone to the pre 3 weeks ago and it's been a match made in heaven. I've already changed the theme, added preware, patch for GPS fix, this board is awesome, everyone here is great especially Rush. The phone does everything I want it to do and then some. I don't think I will ever tire of it. I'm real happy with the GRT case suggested here, 4 Touch Stones (how did I ever survive without those I'll never know) and my Samsung Modus 3500...(love the adapter that lets me stream Pandora through my car stereo from the phone.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyNamedGoo View Post
    I'm considering getting a pre plus from att. I'm aware that the phone is old, but from what I hear the owners of pre's don't regret getting one. I guess what I'm asking is:

Should I get a pre?

Why have many users on these forums had so many? I read the posts but I guess I'm still a little confused..

Sorry for the questions as I know they've already been answered, but I wanted a fresh take. Thanks guys/gals in advance for your help.
    The Pre is simply an awesome phone. But the best part is that webOS is still very young, so it's only going to get better. It is a good phone overall.

To get some insight from the ATT side, and to learn more about the phone and webOS, check out this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...stop-here.html
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    The Pre Plus is a great phone and WebOS is an amazing mobile operating system. Even owners of Android phones and iPhones mention that WebOS is their favorite mobile OS, but they don't like the hardware on the current WebOS phones.

There is no doubt that the latest Android phones have superior hardware and the iPhone has better specs too. People get too caught up in specs though. As long as your not running a 3D game and multitasking other intense apps, the Pre @ 800mhz does the job.

Also, even though WebOS doesn't have the quantity of apps as the other platforms, I find the quality of WebOS apps to be solid. NewsRoom is the best RSS app I've used, AuctionMate is excellent for eBay users, the Facebook Beta app is always improving, RadioTime is a great radio app, especially for being free. Sports Live is the best sports app on any platform when it comes to getting instant scores of all major sports.

My only major con with the Pre Plus is battery life. I find myself charging my phone multiple times per day when using it heavily. On my old BlackBerry, I never had to charge except overnight, but the browser was weak and the apps I used were light.
    Last edited by mnotar91; 08/07/2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling Error.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Try it, if you don't like it you can return it.
    I got the Pre on day 1 and have since switched to an Evo.
    For me the Evo is an overall better phone. Many people will say that WebOS has a better UI. What good is the UI when the is very little to interface with.
    Unless you have a burning need for a new phone, I would wait - espescially if you were to tied to it for two years.

The hardware is old. But here is the gotcha if I were you: HPalm is dragging it's feet with webOS on smartphones. We are all hoping they will annouce something soon, but we just don't know - they are on their schedule not ours. I would wait a couple months and see what they announce: if nothing, I would avoid Palm; if something you like then you can be assured it is a smartphone platform that will be around for a while.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyNamedGoo View Post

Should I get a pre?

Hey BoyNamedGoo,

What phone do you currently own?

At the sub $100 price range the only phone that competes with it is the iPhone 3GS. These are the best two phones at the sub $100 price range.
    Now that the iOS 4.0 is out, I would recommend the iPhone 3GS over the Palm Pre Plus.
    I'm into productivity, and the calendar the iPhone has is leap years ahead of the Palm Pre Plus. You also have 'to do list' apps in Apple's appstore that are GREAT.
    I suggest to play around with the phones that they have. I was considering leaving Palm since it took forever for them to come out with another GSM phone, but didn't like any of the options that were available to me that could use AT&T's network (3G in particular).

The Pre+ is great on AT&T and I haven't had a reason to return the phone yet *knocks on wood*. Plus, if you have played with the Verizon versions, the AT&T build is noticably tighter and sturdier. Still has a few quirks that all Pre's have, but it's the best version on the best network (I mean GSM, not AT&T in general).

I recommend a good screen protector as being the only accessory you should need (since AT&T gives you a touchstone anyway).
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    But here is the gotcha if I were you: HPalm is dragging it's feet with webOS on smartphones.
    Dragging its feet? The acquisition was complete just a little over a month ago, did you expect them to release a new phone a few days later?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Dragging its feet? The acquisition was complete just a little over a month ago, did you expect them to release a new phone a few days later?
    You're right, I should have just said Palm is dragging it's feet and now HP apparently is not helping.

18 months with no new hardware means the Pre (and Pre+) is several generations out of date.

webOS rocks, but unfortunately the current hardware sucks (and I mean specs, i'm still on my 1st Pre).. No new (smartphone) hardware means no continuation of webOS on smartphones.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I heartily recommend the Pre Plus. Its capable, simple, and powerful. There a bunch of quite stellar third party and himebrew apps, and I personally enjoy using the Pre as a music player. The AtT&T version allegedlyacks all the hardware issues that have plauged previoud Pre's, and the community is awesome. Go with the flow and get one (avoid the Pixi like the the plague).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast