Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Just got a Palm Pre Plus for Verizon from a friend in pretty good shape (one minor scratch on the side) for $60. I was using a flip phone before.

Anyway, he has a custom kernel installed, which I don't like.

I have a micro USB cable and my phone ready to go. If someone could provide a link, or some information, on how to get the regular Palm WebOS kernal installed back on the phone, it would be appreciated.

Thanks all.
    Why would you want to remove the Kernel if it's the Uberkernel or oe of the Alpha's

to answer your question if he has preware on it you can remove it that way

a visit to the Doctor even
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    You should probably webOS doctor.
    Get WebOS Quick installer, Install preware, in preware go to kernel and you can click the Palm default kernel. It will install over old one.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Havek923 View Post
    Get WebOS Quick installer, Install preware, in preware go to kernel and you can click the Palm default kernel. It will install over old one.
    Is WebOS quick installer an application?

And would WebOS doctor remove the kernel?

Thanks for the quick responses, by the way.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ^WebOS doctor will restore the phone to factory settings, allowing you to start anew. If you just got the phone I would recommend it. If you don't want to delete everything though, Preware should be on the phone already if he has the Uberkernel already installed. Just go into preware, available packages, kernels, and install the Recovery Kernel. If you don't see Preware, follow Havek's advice.
    WebOS Quick install is a program you have to download to your PC and hook your phone up. I would post the links for downloading WebOS QI, and how to install preware, but my post count isn't above ten. Google "Install preware" and the first link that comes up is what you need. You just have to find yourself the download link for WebOS QI. It's on the forums somewhere.
    what is it about the kernel that you don't like??
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwill127 View Post
    And would WebOS doctor remove the kernel?
    I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

I think a webOS doctor to get back to stock webOS would be a good way to start using the pre.
    custom kernel or theme
    If you have the UberKernal, you might want to do some research before removing it. It's an excellent enhancement to the phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I'm pretty sure he means a custom theme
    If it is the Kernel you want to remove
    Do you Govnah installed?
    You can just set it to Palm Default w/out having to remove the actual Kernal (If its Uberkernel)
  14.    #14  
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses.

I used WebOS doctor to restore the phone to factory settings. The interface looks like a brand new Pre now (and I love the regular Palm interface for WebOS).

The guy who I bought it from said there was a custom kernel running on the phone, but, when I viewed the phone for the first time in the Verizon store today, it looks as if it was ALSO running a custom theme - it was "blue". When the phone booted, it showed an Apple logo, and when it was up and running, the text at the very top were blue (battery, signal strength, date, etc), the icons were very weird looking, and the background was black.

I used WebOS doctor to restore the phone to factory settings. It removed this odd theme, but I'm not sure if it removed the kernel. No worries, though. If the kernel is still running the phone (he said the CPU was clocked at 800 mhz), then that's more than fine by me, I just didn't want the theme that was on the phone.

Is there a simple way in which I can check the frequency of the CPU?
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the responses. I used WebOS doctor, and the interface looks like a new Pre (I love the regular WebOS look).

The guy I bought it from said it has a custom kernel, but when I used the phone for the first time, it also had this blue and black theme with odd looking icons, which I really disliked. With this theme, the phone also booted displaying an Apple logo.

But, it's back to normal now. Whether the kernel is still running or not doesn't bother me, I'm just glad to have the regular WebOS interface.

Last edited by Cwill127; 08/06/2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Additional questions
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    If you use WOSQI, then goto tools --> Linux commandline

Then run either of the following commands to check the freqn:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

You can also check these from terminal app I believe.
    if you just didn't want the Theme you shouldve said that. You couldve removed that without Dr.ing the phone. The 800mhz kernel is removed once you Dr. The phone. If you want it back then use WebOS qi to install preware. From that you can get a custom Kernel & a whole lot of other tweaks to make your phone more enjoyable for you. Search: getting started with homebrew. There you will see a small list of some customizations you can apply to the Pre.

Welcome to Pre world.

Better yet heres the link:
    http://m.forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/212655-getting-started-homebrew-apps-patches-themes.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/212655-getting-started-homebrew-apps-patches-themes.html
    sorry the first link was to the mobile site
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwill127 View Post
    I say screw simplicity and get into the meaning of having a Linux based phone. If you install Preware you can get Govnah, which will tell you your phone's current performance all around. Seriously, The Pre is nice and all, but homebrew makes it all so much nicer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast