Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    and into the sun! (as illustrated below)

Just put some grease on mine.

Does anyone know what the pre slider is rated at?

The new blackberry is rated for 150,000+ cycles according to engadget.

Last edited by IcerC; 08/06/2010 at 04:00 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    stuff the rest of the hardware designers in there as well
    August 2009 - January 2011. Thank god I'm no longer a Pre user!

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    and into the sun!

Just put some grease on mine.

Does anyone know what the pre slider is rated at?

The new blackberry is rated for 150,000+ cycles according to engadget.
    You're so right. I've seen a lot of vertical slider phones, and they all feel sturdy. I don't know how on earth they made the palm pres' so weak.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Could it have anything to do with the Pre being a slightly curved slider vs other phones that just slide straight up? Are the slider rails curved to do this or is there a bigger gap at the top allowing the front to curve out. If it's the latter that's where the excessive slop comes from.
    I dunno I have almost 10,000 open/close on mine and it still feels the same to me. *shrug*
    My Pre doesn´t suffer from Oreo and is the launch Pre. It falls alot, there are alot of knicks since I don´t have a case on it, but my slider is fine.

Yes the slider has seen many problems because of the phone´s curve, and I think Palm was slack in quality control as many devices are fine and many aren´t.
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Could it have anything to do with the Pre being a slightly curved slider vs other phones that just slide straight up? Are the slider rails curved to do this or is there a bigger gap at the top allowing the front to curve out. If it's the latter that's where the excessive slop comes from.
    I believe that's the cause... they should have made it square, rather than round. (My opinion)
  8.    #8  
    Argh. Just realized this.. form over function.
    Ruby is just like jobs in that way. The whole phone is design then function.

Ruby: "It must look like a river rock"
    Engineer: done.
    Ruby: "I want the slider curved"
    Engineer: but sir- .. done.
    Ruby: "Wait! Where's my mirror"
    Engineer: Oh.. thought that one was a joke.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    It is what it is....

My definition of (It is what it is) is - Palm made it that way and that's the way it is.
    Last edited by rush; 08/06/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    [cue the guy with the orange car avatar who has a launch day Pre with no problems]
    it is what it is, 3 of them in our family still working fine, I can lie if it makes you feel better
    Def a QA issue.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    My Pre+ hasn't failed on me. It wiggles a little to the left and right, but I don't think that's the Oreo Effect that many complain about. With that said, this phone just doesn't feel like a solid piece of technology. My old BB Storm felt solid. I frequently said I could probably hammer nails with the thing, and it wouldn't break. The Pre feels like a good drop on a hard floor would spell the end of it. I hope HP alleviates some of these issues by insisting on higher hardware quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    It is what it is....
    That depends on what your definition of the word "is" is.
    I hate this saying. Worst shortcut to thinking in the history of language. =)
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I dunno I have almost 10,000 open/close on mine and it still feels the same to me. *shrug*
    Same with me.
    You're so right. I've seen a lot of vertical slider phones, and they all feel sturdy. I don't know how on earth they made the palm pres' so weak.
    The droids isn't significantly better. I'm surrounded by droid users and they all complain about the two halts starting to become lose (oreo effect).

That's why I want a slab, no moving parts to worry about.
    my slider works fine. 10 month old sprint pre, and no problems.. Whoever designed my pre should be emblazened on mount rushmore
    Verizon launch day Pre Plus and my slider works fine - Do I need an Orange Car Avitar?

Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    The droids isn't significantly better. I'm surrounded by droid users and they all complain about the two halts starting to become lose (oreo effect).

That's why I want a slab, no moving parts to worry about.
    I hate slab... visible keyboard on a phone. Hmm! I love vertical keyboards, not so much feeling horizontal either.
    remember that one of their design goals was the look of a continuous screen, like a pebble and without a frame to collect pocket lint. It made it smaller, lighter, and sleeker - to differentiate from other sliders as well as other slabs.

I'm not saying it was a good choice, I just think we need to realize that the Pre's design was thought out and intentional. Palm has won more of those bets than most (Palm V, Treo to name a few) and if the slider had been sturdier, we'd all be praising the design.

The biggest issue in dropping the pre is ripping up the keyboard slider. protecting from cracks with a good skin or case is as effective as protecting the iphone. The OP has it right in that the slider design isn't durable enough. The BB Torch is much better. If the Pre could match the durability of the Torch, it would be a different game. And Palm wouldn't have to add that lint-catching frame to the screen.

Remember that Palm had specific and well documented design goals. It was consistent with the (horrible) idea that they should target the perceived gap of the female demographic. If they had executed (rugged slider) and marketed it properly (features - refer to current MotoX ad showing mobile hotspot) and they would have hit a grand slam.

Failure is more often in execution, not planning. Everything people hate about the hardware was designed that way on purpose to differentiate or address market research. If they had executed on their (flawed) strategy, they would have done better. HP knows that, and the next round will show it.

I'm glad Palm's marketing department is gone. Now I hope HP brings in a canon to launch the slide designers as the OP suggests. Then someone needs to get a BB Torch and figure out how to retrofit it's slider into a Pre. I'm sure we'd all pay big money for that "patch", yes?
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/06/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    The curve in the slider is the difference. The designers, whether it was a good idea or not, wanted it to appear as a solid device when closed, and curve as it opens.

And yes, to satisfy UntidyGuy, I've never had an oreo issue with the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast