View Poll Results: Will the Touchstone get a refresh?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't see any future device being large enough to require a redesigned Touchstone.

11 29.73%
  • Yeah, the next WebOS devices will probably need a higher desktop clearance than this one.

9 24.32%
  • Yeah, I think Palm/HP will want to squeeze as much money from the loyalists as possible.

4 10.81%
  • I don't know. This could go either way.

13 35.14%
  1.    #1  
    None of us know what the next WebOS device will be (portrait slider, landscape slider, candy-bar with virt kb, significantly larger, etc). But what do you think the chances are of Palm needing to redesign the Touchstone charging base (even if only slightly) to accomodate its forthcoming new device line-up - thus forcing upgraders to fork over more cash for yet another Touchstone?

Weigh in please.
    Well I hope that the new backs are backward compatible and can be used on the existing docks, but I really hope that the newer touchstones (if the are in development) can can do more than the current ones.

I really hope we see some sort of location aware touchstones so that I can set the one by my bedside to a certain profile (ringer off, no lights, etc) and my workplace to another set.

I'd also love for there to be some sort of wireless connectivity settings (automatic connection to bluetooth speakers, OR a 3.5mm doc that can use a connection with the Pre to play through speakers)

I'd also love for a wireless sync to start with a computer (if you have the charger near the computer) if you wanted it set that way.

And I'd love for a way to charge a spare battery in the touchstone. Having the ability to replace batteries on the fly is pretty useless if I have to charge my batteries inside my Pre.

All told, I remember when the touchstone was supposed to be a suite of products...so I hope that they come out with more options...

nnb
    not seeing it happening

and hopefully not. HP is not in financial distress, so I can think of no reason to do this just for the sake of getting little bit more money.

They could make something larger for the PalmPAD tho.
    I would go with the "need higher clearance". However, I would be curious to see if there may be just a way to create a "booster" seat for the original and continue using it.

In other words, not a true "total change". Just a longer cylinder side wall. thus, an easy mod for the original.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    For something that was originally announced as a product-range I have always been surprised Palm hasn't released any other touchstone accessory/charger. But I assume there will be some new touchstones in the pipeline.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I would go with the "need higher clearance". However, I would be curious to see if there may be just a way to create a "booster" seat for the original and continue using it.

In other words, not a true "total change". Just a longer cylinder side wall. thus, an easy mod for the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    For something that was originally announced as a product-range I have always been surprised Palm hasn't released any other touchstone accessory/charger. But I assume there will be some new touchstones in the pipeline.

Funny you guys should mention that. I just happen to be working on bringing a Touchstone accessory to market right now. It's targeted at those of us (like myself) who enjoy watching movies and whatnot on our Pre (or whatever forthcoming Touchstone docking smartphones Palm develops) but need just a bit more flexibility than the low viewing angle afforded by the present Touchstone.

Check out this I created showcasing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post

I'm thinking kickstand where the base still balances on the touchstone.
    I looked around for a bluetooth stereo speaker/microphone combo that I could pair with any of my three Touchstones, but everything is iPhone-centric. For now, I'm using an old, 3.5" jack Logitech stereo speaker, but it doesn't have a mic, making it inconvenient when a call comes in.

I'm not sure how well the existing TS will support a device with larger battery capacity. The 1350ma Seido works, but I think Palm needs to double the capacity, particularly if new devices are based on much faster processors like the TI OMAP 4. Not that the OMAP 4 uses more power, but a significantly faster device will only encourage heavier usage.