1.    #1  
    Hey do you guys think webos needs a facelift? Sometimes i look at my pre and i say the user interface looks too cute and not enough umf. It seems a little on the too pretty side and leaves me desiring something a bit more modern looking. I would like a mix of seriousness and elegance if that makes any sense. Not so much a feeling of being bubbly happy, giddy.

I love the elegance of webos and its ease of use. By far in this category its number one. Most of the colors i see are blue white and that fugly light grey shade usually as the header. Id like the colors to be a but more rich and crisp. Not a bit bland and plain.

Since i love the elegance, i think webos should use slightly darker colors. I mean slightly. Only because by going too dark it will loose its elegance.

I love the font of palm, but at certain times i think it should be a little bolder or bigger. Perhaps like in messaging app.

Now i know there are themes, but i am talking about a change for every pre/pixi owner.

So what do you guys think? Do you think i make valid points? Id like to hear some opinions on this.
    The look is modern enough for now (for about six more months).

The real problem is everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    Hey do you guys think webos needs a facelift? Sometimes i look at my pre and i say the user interface looks too cute and not enough umf. It seems a little on the too pretty side and leaves me desiring something a bit more modern looking. I would like a mix of seriousness and elegance if that makes any sense. Not so much a feeling of being bubbly happy, giddy.

I love the elegance of webos and its ease of use. By far in this category its number one. Most of the colors i see are blue white and that fugly light grey shade usually as the header. Id like the colors to be a but more rich and crisp. Not a bit bland and plain.

Since i love the elegance, i think webos should use slightly darker colors. I mean slightly. Only because by going too dark it will loose its elegance.

I love the font of palm, but at certain times i think it should be a little bolder or bigger. Perhaps like in messaging app.

Now i know there are themes, but i am talking about a change for every pre/pixi owner.

So what do you guys think? Do you think i make valid points? Id like to hear some opinions on this.
    I 100% agree and have thought since day one! its kinda cartoon like !
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    The look is modern enough for now (for about six more months).

The real problem is everything else.
    i definitly agree but palm is now a part of hp i think this can be done simotaneously along with video, camera, gaming, facelift, music, pim, crucial apps. I think improvements on all of this can be done at the same time. Which is why webos 2.0 needs to really come out with a bang.
    I disagree completely. It was one of the main reasons (that and real multi-tasking) that turned me onto WebOS.
    I have the glass effect on the launcher, and i think it looks real nice ecspecially with a darker backround.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I have the glass effect on the launcher, and i think it looks real nice ecspecially with a darker backround.
    I agree that the glass effect gives the OS a completely different look. I also dimmed my screen to get more vibrant colors. Aside from that there are other patches that make the user experience look and feel different. Change it as you like.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I personally don't want a universally applied UI appearance change. However I would love for many of the visual patch options and theming to become natively configurable and expandable features of the OS that don't require removal or re-application with OTA.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Just get a theme if you want to change it. Tell you what, slap a black background on it, get one of the patches/themes that removes the random corners, get a 4x4 icon patch and then you've got an iPhone, problem solved.

But generally, the out of the box look doesn't really bother me although since I can theme it, I do! The only thing I really hate is all the gray. Palm Default theme needs to die.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I agree that the glass effect gives the OS a completely different look. I also dimmed my screen to get more rich colors.They can stay the same just a different shade of them Aside from that there are other patches that make the user experience look and feel different. Change it as you like.
    You guys in a way are proving my point that there is in fact room for improvement. Im not really talking about a ui change. Im talking about a facelift. Meaning everything pretty much stays the same only minor things are changed

In my original post i talked about colors and how they need to be SLIGHTLY TWEAKED

Im not talking about patches or themes. Im talking about a change for everyone. Ive never seen the glass launcher which sounds pretty cool.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Just get a theme if you want to change it. Tell you what, slap a black background on it, get one of the patches/themes that removes the random corners, get a 4x4 icon patch and then you've got an iPhone, problem solved.

But generally, the out of the box look doesn't really bother me although since I can theme it, I do! The only thing I really hate is all the gray. Palm Default theme needs to die.
    ok then so if you had to stay with a stock pre would you really be happy with the colors. I see we both agree on the gray it really does need to go.

Basically what im doing is speaking for the general webos comunity the ones that don't themeor patch. The majority.

Saying "just add a theme, patch or any thing else" does not answer the question. We are the minority. Does webos need a facelift?

By saying i have this or that theme imply that maybe it does need a minor facelift?
    Last edited by gregcolon3; 08/05/2010 at 09:58 AM.
    Yeah not a fan of the Gray at all. I'm also using the Glass Effect Suite. It adds that finishing touch to my Pre. That smoked glass just makes colors pop.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    The green dailer needs to go also...

By saying i have this or that theme imply that maybe it does need a minor facelift?
    Not really, no. It's like I said - it's easy to theme, so people theme it.

I think tweaking is something most of the people posting on these forums do. So, if you're looking to get the opinion of the general theming public as to whether the phone needs a facelift, the forums here probably aren't your best bet because the people here are going to tweak it to look they want to because they can. Like, they won't tell you the phone needs a facelift because they have the ability to change it to make it look like what they want it to look like, to the point that what it looks like by default doesn't really matter. So, I think it's a question better asked at the Palm forums or the Sprint forums where the less tech savvy are first inclined to go to complain about their phone.

That said, I think a large number of people want the phone to have 4x4 icons by default. Those patches are by and large the most voted on patches in the polls, both on the forums and the official Precentral poll we ran.

I do agree the gray has got to go, but I wouldn't trade my phone in over it. I don't know, I'm not compelled to theme theme theme the phone the same way I was with the iPhoneOS, which became so boring after a while, I just could not stand it. webOS is a lot brighter and vibrant, which I appreciate. Also, no widgets or icons on my wallpaper!!!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I like my interface just fine. I'm wondering how you guys feel about iOS - if you consider WebOS to look "cartoon-ish," then I imagine the same goes for Apple's mobile OS, as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    I like my interface just fine. I'm wondering how you guys feel about iOS - if you consider WebOS to look "cartoon-ish," then I imagine the same goes for Apple's mobile OS, as well?
    Well, there are a couple of things webOS differs in to iOS, so I wouldn't call it as "cartoonish" really. Particularly, webOS uses fewer icons across the board, a brighter screen and background, and their icons have no uniform shape. Apple has 4x4 icons, a black background, and their icons are all square. Also, webOS has the whole rounded corners look going on that iOS does not employ. webOS is definitely a different feel from iOS to me. I can understand where people say it looks "cartoonish", but I guess it just looks more colorful and personal to me.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I think it definitely could use some improvement by default, but they need to give us a way to customize the look without needing to "hack" it for the normal folk.

There are a few ui changes needed such as widgets and the ability ton hide open cards that they hopefully have planned for two point oh.

You can change the look using themes. Preware was built for people like us
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I think it definitely could use some improvement by default, but they need to give us a way to customize the look without needing to "hack" it for the normal folk.

There are a few ui changes needed such as widgets and the ability ton hide open cards that they hopefully have planned for two point oh.
    i agree