1.    #1  
    Let me say this again so I don't have people tell me to clean my headphone jack. Suddenly, I can receive calls in speaker mode, with my bluetooth headset but NOT just by picking up the phone. It claims that it is in the right mode (i.e. NOT headphone mode) but there is simply no sound. I ran the WebOS repair utilitiy....nothing. I've restarted several times. I've taken out the battery both after shutting down and while still running. Nothing. I can't shake the feeling that this is NOT a hardware issue but rather a software issue. I also ran the diagnostic in the device info and told it I heard no sounds though the headset....but it didn't seem to find any issues. This would be the third time I've WebDoctored mah phone in the last three weeks. Any one have any other last minute suggestions before I wipe it?

Thanks in advance.

Macros
    Quote Originally Posted by Macros746 View Post
    Let me say this again so I don't have people tell me to clean my headphone jack. Suddenly, I can receive calls in speaker mode, with my bluetooth headset but NOT just by picking up the phone. It claims that it is in the right mode (i.e. NOT headphone mode) but there is simply no sound. I ran the WebOS repair utilitiy....nothing. I've restarted several times. I've taken out the battery both after shutting down and while still running. Nothing. I can't shake the feeling that this is NOT a hardware issue but rather a software issue. I also ran the diagnostic in the device info and told it I heard no sounds though the headset....but it didn't seem to find any issues. This would be the third time I've WebDoctored mah phone in the last three weeks. Any one have any other last minute suggestions before I wipe it?

Thanks in advance.

Macros
    I had what I thought was "stuck in headset mode", and it turned out that the Sprint repair folks had to replace my earpiece speaker - voila. Fixology.
  3.    #3  
    Waste no more time my friends...after the Doctor......still no sound. So you are right Funk....definitely a hardware issue. Thanks for looking.

Macros
    samething happened to me I spoke with palm csr and made me try to clean the headset jack.. That didn't help went to a sprint store and the rep said it was a factory defect they replaced it on the spot to questions asked.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    They couldn't fix mine either and ordered me a replacement!
    Last edited by mobags; 08/11/2010 at 02:36 PM.
    Ok but you are aware that being able to receive calls in speaker mode and BT are both symptoms of the "stuck in headset mode" issue?

When the issue occurs, the best way to check is that the bottom left icon will have a picture of headphones as shown circled below

Either way, you'll have to get it replaced. Even if you were in headset mode and you were able to get the pin unstuck, it will continue to randomly reappear.

phone_2010-05-08_100512.png
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Mine wasnt stuck in headset mode, believe me I checked. It was showing it in the regular phone mode. The Sprin techs even said it wasnt stuck, just the earpiece was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by funktron2x View Post
    I had what I thought was "stuck in headset mode", and it turned out that the Sprint repair folks had to replace my earpiece speaker - voila. Fixology.
    Had the same experience.

Most likely a hardware issue.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    Had the same experience.

Most likely a hardware issue.
    Anyone have a clue what this would cost out of warranty? Will Sprint work with me on the phone if I bought it on eBay?

Thanks.
    I was an original adopter and had my original phone until a few months ago, until I experienced this problem. 3 refurbs later each one has succumbed to this problem, and my current one is doing it now too. It is a bit frustrating...

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Well, went to Sprint store and they've got one ordered for $35. Fingers crossed this one doesn't get cursed.
    Got my last Pre replaced that had this problem and the current Pre I have has the same problem,but this replacement Pre was a "curtousy" of sprint since I had been out of warrant.

That means I can't get this one replaced and I'm stuck with a phone that I can only hear the person on speaker. Very frustrating.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So, that's three? And all three are not apparently stuck in headset mode via software? The actual earpiece stopped working?

Is this problem more prevalent than I thought? I'm new to Pre's and the forums, but I haven't seen this mentioned much outside the software "headset mode problem".
    Usually this issue is due to something jamming up the sensor in that audio jack and its nothing that a can of compressed air can't fix. Of course that's if you calls only give you audio options for speaker, bluetooth, or headset. Hard to say since 1.4.5 update borked the hardware audio testing in interactive testing so really just try to clear out the jack regardless or replace the phone.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Good change it is not a hardware problem at all. Have a look here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2701561
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My wife's phone had the same problem. Tried doctoring it with no luck. Took it into Sprint expecting to have to pay $100 deductible... they replaced it free with no charge. I did take it to an authorized Sprint dealer, and they did want $100 to fix it. I know a lot of people have had problems with Sprint, but I can honestly say that they have always been a tremendous help for me.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Usually this issue is due to something jamming up the sensor in that audio jack and its nothing that a can of compressed air can't fix. Of course that's if you calls only give you audio options for speaker, bluetooth, or headset. Hard to say since 1.4.5 update borked the hardware audio testing in interactive testing so really just try to clear out the jack regardless or replace the phone.
    I've tried everything with the headset jack. The phone doesn't think it's in headset mode. I flashed to before 1.4.5 using Dr. and the tests worked but still no sound from the earpiece. It seems like hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by robvanvliet View Post
    Good change it is not a hardware problem at all. Have a look here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2701561
    Didn't work for me.

Guess i'm using speakerphone and BT headset until the replacement comes in at the Sprint store.

Took it into Sprint expecting to have to pay $100 deductible... they replaced it free with no charge. I did take it to an authorized Sprint dealer, and they did want $100 to fix it.
    FWIW, the store I went to is an authorized store, but not a Sprint run store. They've always been very helpful and reasonable.