Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I've had a Sprint Pre from launch day (still working fine). My company is considering moving to Verizon. What can I expect if I go to a Verizon Pre+?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Verizon Nav and GPS. I really like Sprint Nav.
    Yup.. you will loose the Nav function for now and GPS is sketchy, but I would imagine these getting fixed with the next update. But you will gain the NFL app (which I will really miss the streaming broadcasts of games this year). You will also gain more memory, more storage, a larger bill, and possibly data usage limits (if they put that change through).

Verizon is a good network and the Pre+ is a great phone.. but I never thought I'd say this - I'd miss Sprint.

If you do switch... I really hope Vzw fixes the Nav and GPS issues for you very soon!
    the pre plus is awesome on vzw. You will always have cell phone reception.

there is no nfl app on the vzw version, and no idea if vzw will make it available to us.

and the gps is an issue, as above.

however the added memory over the sprint pre and mobile hotspot make up somewhat for those.
    Your best bet for nav on Verizon is the awesome new beta app, BFGMaps. You can find it in Preware and it seems to properly utilize the gps even for Verizon. NFL app is not available yet, as mentioned above. Never seen a tmc error with my Verizon Pre.
    The Verizon Pre Plus is very good hardware (I have a Verizon launch day Pre Plus). No TMC errors and a better build quality from what I understand. Verizon has great coverage and the tech support is good (depending on the store).

The GPS is an issue, if your company springs for the additional cost for Verizon Navigator you should be all right.

I finally got good GPS lock by loading GPSFix that also has an accompanying Patch. It keeps the GPS awake and seems to work fairly well with the Verizon GPS bug.

I also use BFGMaps instead of Google Maps. It is awesome in comparison. BFGMaps loads quicker then Google Maps and has street view.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 08/04/2010 at 09:44 AM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    So is the GPS app that comes standard on the Pre+ supposed to be free, if it ever works right?
    VZ navigator is almost worth something if you don't have to pay anything for it. I had mostly headaches with it during a free 1 month trial. It left me in the lurch many times. However, it was useful, better than nothing maybe. I've downloaded BFG Maps and will be giving it a try. Google maps is OK, and it saved me when VZ Nav wouldn't work. But I would like to see more features so I'm looking forward to BFG Maps. I'm also interested in what Navit may bring. I think I need webOS 1.4.5. for that though? Is that right?

Verizon coverage is quite good, great even. Cost is more, but my company has chosen Verizon and pays the bill. For my home phones (3 on a family plan) we have Verizon, but we are considering switching to Sprint to save cost and get more features. No pre's in those 3 phones though.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Yup.. you will loose the Nav function for now and GPS is sketchy, but I would imagine these getting fixed with the next update. But you will gain the NFL app (which I will really miss the streaming broadcasts of games this year). You will also gain more memory, more storage, a larger bill, and possibly data usage limits (if they put that change through).

Verizon is a good network and the Pre+ is a great phone.. but I never thought I'd say this - I'd miss Sprint.

If you do switch... I really hope Vzw fixes the Nav and GPS issues for you very soon!
    that means you should get an update for gps within 5 years.
    So is the GPS app that comes standard on the Pre+ supposed to be free, if it ever works right?
    The VZ Navigator is $9.99 pre month! Everything costs a little extra on Verizon.

The VZ Navigator works OK but if you don't subscribe, it truns off the other GPS functions on the phone so other GPS apps can't get a fix. You will need GPSFix to keep the GPS awake.

Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Pros - Awesome Coverage, Better Hardware Quality, Whats tmc?, Good Tech Support, Mobile HotSpot, Tethering Options, etc

Cons - Gps, VZ Nav, No Internet during Phone Call.

My .02
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Quote Originally Posted by jc924 View Post
    I've had a Sprint Pre from launch day (still working fine). My company is considering moving to Verizon. What can I expect if I go to a Verizon Pre+?

I've heard a lot of complaints about the Verizon Nav and GPS. I really like Sprint Nav.
    Ok becuase NO ONE has mentioned this but the GPS is fixed if you get the GPS fix program.

I can now use almost anything with the GPS and it finds me very quick
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Ok becuase NO ONE has mentioned this but the GPS is fixed if you get the GPS fix program.

I can now use almost anything with the GPS and it finds me very quick

Except it was mentioned twice
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The VZ Navigator is $9.99 pre month! Everything costs a little extra on Verizon.

The VZ Navigator works OK but if you don't subscribe, it truns off the other GPS functions on the phone so other GPS apps can't get a fix. You will need GPSFix to keep the GPS awake.

Gotcha. And then with GPSFix, you could download, say, a third-party GPS app and use it for free?

I'm starting to see a couple areas (such as pricing) where Sprint was better - if only their customer service didn't so royally suck.
    Ok Im confused. Hang in here with me. Im a little slow today. Im switching to Verizon as of Friday. Not sure yet if Im going with Pre+ or Pixi+ but thats another topic so forget that for now. What I want to know is if I dont pay the $10 a month for VZ Nav (really thats a lot of money for something Ill only use a few times a year) and I install the GPSfix and then install either BFG Maps or Google Maps I can still get gps and navigation?
    Quote Originally Posted by haapala View Post
    Ok Im confused. Hang in here with me. Im a little slow today. Im switching to Verizon as of Friday. Not sure yet if Im going with Pre+ or Pixi+ but thats another topic so forget that for now. What I want to know is if I dont pay the $10 a month for VZ Nav (really thats a lot of money for something Ill only use a few times a year) and I install the GPSfix and then install either BFG Maps or Google Maps I can still get gps and navigation?
    Use the GPSFix or the patch in pre-ware (I think GPSFix works better, but not sure).

You won't get turn by turn nav with sound unless you use VZNav (That's if BFG Maps doesn't add it)
    Simple Tip Calc http://bit.ly/cdcJIu Review http://bit.ly/a9edpu & World Cup Flags http://bit.ly/daOoeJ
    Ok thank you. I dont mind not having sound. I usually turn it down anyway. Ill definitely miss Sprint Nav though by the sounds of things.
    Ok, can I ask a dumb question, where can I get GPSfix? I looked in the app catalog....I'm still kind of new so still finding my way.

Sorry..... found it.
    Last edited by joliejolie0930; 08/04/2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: found it
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    In my opinion switching to Verizon on the pre at this point would be a big mistake. The gps basically does not work at all on the newest phones. Verizon has somehow finally figured out how to totally screw it up. Even the author of gpsfix who just bought a new Verizon pre can not figure out how to make it work.

Also, Verizon is not even committing to continue to provide webOS updates for the pre, many of the new applications will not work without operating system updates (at this point 1.4.5). They have left users in this position before with some Blackberry phones.

Verizon may have the best "network" but they have not yet learned that "smart" phones are all about the software and they are by far the worst re software. Sprint has a working gps and 1.4.5 and AT&T at least has a working gps.

Verizon is also planning to "End Of Life" the pre on 10/21/2010.