Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let me preface this by saying I absolutely love my vzw pre plus and would not trade it in for anything, except the upcoming as yet to be announced, new hp palm smartphone, if it comes to vzw. But I still for the life of me can't find a good or legitimate reason why palm did not include or has not added the following from either the get go from when the OS was announced in Jan 2009 to now, 20 months later, Aug 2010. Perhaps palms workforce was small, but it's still no excuse for not including some basic features that have been a part of cell phones and smartphones, including palms own treos and centros, for a long time. I've read thousands of posts on precentral and other websites, and still don't understand why these features are missing...

1. Faster boot time.

2. Document editing, with file access or whatever access is needed by document editing developers. I just don't understand why it's been so difficult for this to come to fruition.

3. Microphone API and camera API. Seriously, why do we have to wait for webOS 2.0 for these? What's the hold up NOW and for the past 20 months? I'm not a developer, but if all other phones have these, why dont webOS phones? Was it a unilateral decision on palms part that we didn't need these? Did they pose a security threat? Is the hardware not capable of these?

4. Folders or more launcher pages for apps. If it can be done using preware it should have been added as a standard feature already.

5. Virtual keyboard: come on palm, even all of those who love physical keyboards need a virtual one for quicktyping on webpages and text messages. This feature has been requested from the beginning, and it has been ignored.

6. Memo app, not a post it app.

7. Voice dial and voice command (see #3) above.

8. Video camera: I know it was eventually added, but why did it take so long?

9. Themes or options to change colors. Remember the days of palm OS and changing the background colors? I've gotten used to the green phone dialer, but when others see my phone they all hate it. It's a matter of taste, but it should atleast be an option without having to put on homebrew themes that are not compatible with webOS updates.

10. Hardware acceleration/GPU acceleration. The processor is the same as on the original droid and iphone 3gs, but the user interface is faster on those devices because the GPU is enabled. Honestly I don't understand the technical details, but if the processor has been enabled on other devices with the same processor why isn't it on the pre and pre plus? Why wait for 2.0?

11. Cloud syncing and palm profile is all fine, and I am aware we can use google and multiple software add-ons for desktop syncing for those who don't trust the cloud. But how bout simple access to our PALM PROFILES, using either a web browser or a desktop software. What if one doesn't want to trust in google and doesnt want to spend $40 for desktop syncing software? This is a palm phone, and I want access to my palm profile, not google or outlook or thunderbird or palm desktop. If any of you have used microsoft's myphone software, you will know what I mean.

12. Ability to modify how frequently the phone syncs with the cloud, ie synergy. Palm phones use data continuously or at a pre-defined interval from my understanding, and this eats battery life greatly. We should have controls over how frequently syncing takes place.

13. Speaking of which, the out of box experience with the phone is a concern. The phone's battery heats up tremendously for the first week of activating the device, killing battery life and making one worry their phone is defective. Not until one week passes by and your phone finishes syncing all calender/contact info, and one charges the phone at every opportunity possible, does the battery life become optimized. See all the palm pre reviews on every website, and ask the carriers one of the top reasons webOS devices are returned, and a hot phone and draining battery are all up there. Not everyone has the patience for the full 7-10 days for the device and battery to become optimized. When I first got the phone, the battery would last 6-8 hours, now it can last just over 24 hrs.

14. An extended battery along with touchstone compatible back.

I'm sure some of you have additional things to add. I have seen the palm forums as well and many of these issues have been raised, but without any good answers.

I have full faith in the hp palm merger, I just hope the next device and OS update are more complete. Furthermore, I hope some of the changes are coming for the current crop of webOS devices and not just the new ones.
    A lot of these can be answered simply: they didn't have enough resources.

Palm was a small-ish company, there was only so much it could dedicate to the development of all the things you ask for.

With HP backing them, after the initial loss due to getting new teammates up to par, we should see much faster and visible development.
    Prioritization
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Anyone else tired of the <deleted by mod>? Bottom line, if the platform doesn't meet your needs go somewhere else. It's a great thing when you live in a world of choices.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/03/2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: posting around language filter
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    It's a great thing when you live in a world of choices.
    Unless you're Palm and not announcing anything...
    I remember having conversations in the first half of 2009 when we were all anxiously awaiting the Pre, and many of those conversations revolved around basic PIM functions, and I would often say something like, "don't worry, it's Palm." Meaning, Palm is the master of the PIM. They'll take care of it. Well, I'm sorry to say, with webOS, they didn't. You might say, "well which features should they have kept -- all of them?" And to that I say, "they did an awful job of deciding which classic Palm PIM features to carry into webOS.

Nevertheless, I'm sticking with webOS, 'cause it's better than anything else out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I remember having conversations in the first half of 2009 when we were all anxiously awaiting the Pre, and many of those conversations revolved around basic PIM functions, and I would often say something like, "don't worry, it's Palm." Meaning, Palm is the master of the PIM. They'll take care of it. Well, I'm sorry to say, with webOS, they didn't. You might say, "well which features should they have kept -- all of them?" And to that I say, "they did an awful job of deciding which classic Palm PIM features to carry into webOS.

Nevertheless, I'm sticking with webOS, 'cause it's better than anything else out there.
    Spot on!
    I agree with everything from the OP's list.
  9.    #9  
    I stated in the first line of my post, I love my pre plus and will NOT replace it with anything but an hp palm device. I am ectastic with this device, and NEVER put it down. It literally is in the palm of my hand, all the time.

that being said, the pres can be sooo much better if some basic things were taken care of alreaedy. I'm not even asking for perfection, I'm just perplexed why some of the things I've mentioned haven't been adequately addressed.

Hardbeatz, I understand the limited resources and prioritization aspects. But it's not like palm was starting from scratch. Many of the things I mentioned Palm has already done in the past with their handhelds and smartphones.

Again, I'm not a developer or computer programmer, so I don't know what creating a virtual keyboard, for example,entails...but devs not at palm have made them so how hard can it be? Why does it take 20 months to make a microphone api available? I didn't intend to have my original post come off as a complaint. I just wish someone can explain some of these things in laymans terms.

Prioritization at palm was definitely important, and thanks to HP things I know will get better. But the number one priority is and should always be the consumer.
    I agree with the OP and the need for a robust PIM suite of applications. If I remember Palm Pre launched with Dataviz as a business partner then Dataviz pulled out before finishing the DocsToGo for WebOS. Other than that I feel Palm could have done a much better job of opening up more APIs so developers could fill some of the gaps in the functionality of the phones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I agree with the OP and frankly as a develeoper after working 4 hours today to discover the source of a problem and then discovering, gues what!!! A webOS bug, and it's not the first time, frankly I'm sick of palm!!! So sick that I'm really thinking of dropping palm and getting myself an evo.
    palm has made lots of mistakes and WebOS is an incomplete OS BUT.... Palm has created the best user experience out there, no doubt about that. I was having a converstaion with my wife yesterday, we both own a Pre. Although we have exchanged a total of 13 Pres combined since launch date, we still own a Pre. I asked her this question, do you see yourself using other phones? She thought about it for a second and said no.... I asked, why? She responds: sometimes I will be sending a text msg and I need info from the facebook app, I can switch easy and get it and continue on with my text, do other phones do it this easy? I said no, she said I would miss little things that I don't think about. My wife is not a tech and she does not understand what multi tasking is but she described it perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I agree with the OP and frankly as a develeoper after working 4 hours today to discover the source of a problem and then discovering, gues what!!! A webOS bug, and it's not the first time, frankly I'm sick of palm!!! So sick that I'm really thinking of dropping palm and getting myself an evo.
    Bye
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I have loved all 5 of the pre's I have had including the one I am typing this reply on.
    I think that palm had an aging platform and hardware combination (had 600,700p, and 755 and loved them!) they were being passed by and dominated by the "new guys" on the play ground and needed to get back in the game. So they released Webos, which I love, but they released it along with the pre before it was fully/functionally developed. Everything takes time, they were running out of time and cash and who knows what else. The webos experience is good and is getting better, but it was released before it was fully cooked. Just my opinion.

i'm not switch'n, i'm a Palm supporter all the way, thank god for the homebrew/patch/development community!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Unless you're Palm and not announcing anything...
    I think the point he was making is that if you don't like Palm not announcing what you want, you're free to choose something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post

i'm not switch'n, i'm a Palm supporter all the way, thank god for the homebrew/patch/development community!
    I love palm, started with a Handspring Visor, then went to a TX, then to the Treos, went Centro and actually bought a PrePlus on Verizon and hated it and returned it. THEN I discovered Precentral and Homebrew and I have to say that the ability to patch and tweak beyond what the developers gave us is one of my favorite things about WebOS.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 08/04/2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Fix quote
  17.    #17  
    please keep in mind I am not referring to any "mistakes" palm made, as that's a topic that is moot now that hp took over. In fact I don't refer to the points I made as "mistakes." I simply don't understand why some features are not yet available when it seems that many smartphones AND non-smartphones have them, such as voice dials and video cameras.

My Pre Plus is a powerful device, and yet I feel it has sooooo much more potential. I hope the awesomeness of this device is not abandoned with the next OS update and hp palm hardware...I hope to update to webOS 2.0 if vzw ever releases it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    A lot of these can be answered simply: they didn't have enough resources.

Palm was a small-ish company, there was only so much it could dedicate to the development of all the things you ask for.

With HP backing them, after the initial loss due to getting new teammates up to par, we should see much faster and visible development.
    Then how can Or how can 12 chaps in Australia (Weos internals) or one Canadian(Jason Robitaille) do more in one year than the entire company?

4X4 icons and more pages could not be that hard! led notifications... took forever!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Seriously. I need an upgraded hardware fix. I'm still rocking my first Sprint Pre from Oct. last year!

But..... my October upgrade is a comin, and I'm looking at Samsung Epic 4G.

Don't flame me. I'm a diehard Palm fan from the Treo 650 days, and I'll sure as hell be back when Palm/HP brings it with something new and 2.0

I really only want one feature. Flash 10.1. All I wanna do is update Google Spreadsheets so I can say goodbye to my laptop for good, but even that isn't even out yet.

Am I wrong for thinking Flash should have been #15 on the OPs list of issues? It's been in Palm's court for how long now?......
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    maybe they were too busy refurbishing all the returned pres we all sent back to work on development of new hardware and software...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast