Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1.    #41  
    I'm not a fan of virtual keyboards either, but many are and it's one of the most requested additions to the pre phones, in addition to the physical keyboard
    I really think the best thing anyone can do, if webOS or the Pre doesn't have a feature that you want, is to go to this website: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA and make a request for it. If you truly believe that the feature you want is in the wrong place on the priority list, or was perhaps left off the priority list for some reason, then let them know! If enough people are clamoring for voice dialing, eventually they'll have to do it (although I personally think that feature is coming).

Palm has said, and HardBeatz has confirmed, that they actually read those things and give them consideration.

For my part, I was here when the phone first came out. It does a LOT more stuff now than it did then. In fact, I worried at one point that they were spending too much time adding features and not enough time finding and fixing bugs.

Having been around several software development projects in my career, the easiest part is the initial development of a new feature. Integrating that feature into the software and testing it requires a whole lot more work. As software becomes more and more complicated, the amount of work it takes to integrate and test goes up exponentially. With all the capability represented in a modern mobile OS, it is enormously complex while also being severely constrained. The fact that it worked as well as it did in June of 2009 is a testament to an incredible amount of hard work.

So if you really love webOS and can't imagine switching to a different OS, it's just going to take some more time. But I think webOS 2.0 will have a lot of the things we want. Maybe not everything: keep in mind that some of these things are philosophical design choices (like the launcher pages).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3.    #43  
    jbg, thank you! You have finally given some insight as to why some features are not available, yet. I certainly hope they are included in webOS 2.0.

I also hope that webOS 2.0 is compatible with the pre plus!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I really think the best thing anyone can do, if webOS or the Pre doesn't have a feature that you want, is to go to this website: Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA and make a request for it. If you truly believe that the feature you want is in the wrong place on the priority list, or was perhaps left off the priority list for some reason, then let them know! If enough people are clamoring for voice dialing, eventually they'll have to do it (although I personally think that feature is coming).

Palm has said, and HardBeatz has confirmed, that they actually read those things and give them consideration.

For my part, I was here when the phone first came out. It does a LOT more stuff now than it did then. In fact, I worried at one point that they were spending too much time adding features and not enough time finding and fixing bugs.

Having been around several software development projects in my career, the easiest part is the initial development of a new feature. Integrating that feature into the software and testing it requires a whole lot more work. As software becomes more and more complicated, the amount of work it takes to integrate and test goes up exponentially. With all the capability represented in a modern mobile OS, it is enormously complex while also being severely constrained. The fact that it worked as well as it did in June of 2009 is a testament to an incredible amount of hard work.

So if you really love webOS and can't imagine switching to a different OS, it's just going to take some more time. But I think webOS 2.0 will have a lot of the things we want. Maybe not everything: keep in mind that some of these things are philosophical design choices (like the launcher pages).
    Did my part. Anyone else?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Did my part. Anyone else?
    Did my part over seven months ago...
    I'm on my second Pre only because I let my first one fly off the roof of my car at 70MPH on a highway, at midnight. And I cried, then I woke up the next morning and I paid assurion to send me another. Most of the settings and apps I had installed were reinstalled automagically, as was all my data. I have to say that I have used iPhones and droids, and all sorts of phones with different levels of intelligence, even almost every PalmOS treo made for VZW since the 600 and I think this one is the best yet. Do I miss some old apps? yes. Do I wish for more things/features?? Sure! but I hope most of all that Palm/HP doesn't dump the line of WebOS phones because I think it rocks. And, the fact we are allowed/encouraged to use home brew is OK by me.
    I like having freedom to setup the interface the way I like it... 5x5 is my way. Maybe we should have a choice out of the box, but there are things that iPhones can't do OOtB that the Pre can...and "there's not an app for everything" but there is a patch! prprpr $will$ $be$ $soon$.
    10. I'm almost sure they are using it, seeing how well the OS cooperates with my OpenGL accelerated PDK game. Any UI clumsyness I've run in to might be related to how the system routes and tracks inputs. But since I don't rely on motion tracking, after a few tweaks, my webOS port was nearly flawless.

You can see my experience with stutteryness in the later half of the video here (56 seconds in):

It's on their buglist. The latest version of the game is far more responsive than in that video.
    Last edited by PoVRAZOR; 08/07/2010 at 12:06 AM.
    [ Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike on Twitter | Blog ]
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    Basicly what happend is palm sold us a half *** phone and over extended on its promisses on delivering anything other then multi tasking and a few iphone games.Well after playing the just wait it will come game I gave my pre away and got the iphone.The comerical should be more like life moves fast but with the pre youll be left in the dust.Hell most of you are still waiting for 1.4.5 and flash and the next pre device hp didnt buy palm to get into the cell phone game so theres just to many what ifs for me.the multi tasking os nice but other then that webos and the pre is ***
    Don't feed the trolls.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123