1.    #1  
    I'm new to the Palm Pre Plus (on VW) - had it just one day. I really like the phone so far, although I have the same general complaints as everyone regarding basic features that are missing at the pre-install. I had a BB Storm before this, which I did love for the first year, but then it quickly went to crud on me. I also like all the options for customizing the Pre, but don't like how a lot of them require more than just the installation of the patch. I'm not quite at the level where I feel comfortable doing CL work, so most of the fixes for my issues aren't available to me

Anyway, my question is: Does the current OS support gif in MMS or not? I got a funny text, but it was less funny as the animation didn't work and it was just a static picture. I tried searching for this but one thread had people excited about the support for gif, but at the end the responses said it wasn't supported. So, is it or isn't it supported?
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanknitter View Post
    I'm new to the Palm Pre Plus (on VW) - had it just one day. I really like the phone so far, although I have the same general complaints as everyone regarding basic features that are missing at the pre-install. I had a BB Storm before this, which I did love for the first year, but then it quickly went to crud on me. I also like all the options for customizing the Pre, but don't like how a lot of them require more than just the installation of the patch. I'm not quite at the level where I feel comfortable doing CL work, so most of the fixes for my issues aren't available to me

Anyway, my question is: Does the current OS support gif in MMS or not? I got a funny text, but it was less funny as the animation didn't work and it was just a static picture. I tried searching for this but one thread had people excited about the support for gif, but at the end the responses said it wasn't supported. So, is it or isn't it supported?
    As a sprint user, I know gif is not supported in mms. I think this as a lot to do with your subscriber. Or maybe it could just be the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    As a sprint user, I know gif is not supported in mms. I think this as a lot to do with your subscriber. Or maybe it could just be the phone.
    It has to be the phone, because I've had VW for 8years, and every phone I've ever had with them, with the exception of my first phone, has had the capability to receive animated gif MMS. I was actually shocked that it didn't work.
    Animated gif aren't supported by some phones. It's a third party app, and some companies feel threaten by supporting them. (Security Risks)
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Animated gif aren't supported by some phones. It's a third party app, and some companies feel threaten by supporting them. (Security Risks)
    ?? Huh??

It isn't a 3rd party app for .gifs - it's just extra coding and another thing to support. Many companies do support animated icons, but Palm didn't add this support due to more important things being on the plate in releasing a new OS to the market.

OP... little extras like this will come as the OS advances. WebOS is only a little over a year old, so a lot of the fancy tweaks weren't included with the initial versions. The priority for Palm was to get a new OS released to the market that was stable and advance from there adding the frills later on. These may be included with 2.0x, but we'll have to see what changes are in store.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/03/2010 at 06:50 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

OP... little extras like this will come as the OS advances. WebOS is only a little over a year old, so a lot of the fancy tweaks weren't included with the initial versions. The priority for Palm was to get a new OS released to the market that was stable and advance from there adding the frills later on. These may be included with 2.0x, but we'll have to see what changes are in store.
    Thanks. This is the type of answer I was looking for. That makes sense to me. I didn't realize WebOS was so young - thanks for clarifying for me.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I believe animated gifs only display in the browser for now
    Quote Originally Posted by edd247 View Post
    I believe animated gifs only display in the browser for now
    You can view them in email also...

OP... take a look at this thread. Seems there is a lot of work going on with using .gif images in all sorts of places. Looks like notifications may be coming your way.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...nds-webos.html
    there is a patch available that can insert a gif as your mms avatar; I assume that is what you are talking about.
    However, I see the animation on my phone, but texts to friends with diff phones, including iphone, did not show my avatar.
    The link above is actually for using .gif images in other areas - like call notifications.