I currently live in Canada and I was wondering if I could buy an AT&T Pre Plus and then bring that phone overseas to UAE.

I was wondering if I would get any OTA updates and how would the palm catalog work?

Thanks
    Good timing! I was wondering about something like this too. I'm about to head out of town to the British Indian Ocean Territory (B.I.O.T.) and I don't think I can use my Verizon Pre+ since it is CDMA. I need a GSM900 cellphone from Europe or South-East Asia, or a FonePlus Cellular SIM card. So I may be out of luck.

I can access the wireless system so I guess I can reach the app catalog? I too am wondering if I can download apps and updates if I'm not in my home country by using the wifi.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by dpad View Post
    I currently live in Canada and I was wondering if I could buy an AT&T Pre Plus and then bring that phone overseas to UAE.

I was wondering if I would get any OTA updates and how would the palm catalog work?

Thanks
    I have been doing a bit of research on this since I have a Sprint Pre but travel to Europe for work and have been looking to buy a GSM Pre to use there. So... for what it is worth.

Yes, your device will work on GSM networks worldwide. Since (if) you activated in Canada, you should also have the same App Catalog and OTA service you have always had.

HOWEVER... I don't know what kind of roaming charges you will incur with AT&T. They are normally quite high. I have been told that it is far more cost effective to purchase a prepaid SIM while visiting a given country. I will have a different number but still have access to all my apps and services (except Sprint Nav.) Also, all incoming calls are free on most prepaid SIMS.

Good luck!
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I am a Canadian user running an AT&T (GSM) Pre+ on Rogers with no issues (unlocked with NextGenUnlock). Based on the specs of the phone, you should be in good standing to use this phone overseas or any place where they have a GSM network.

One thing to keep in mind. This applies for standard GSM frequencies. As far as I understand, the higher-rate data (3G) frequencies differ between North America & Europe -- so, you will likely have a great phone with a sluggish data modem.

If your intention is to permanently move off of the North American continent, you're probably better-off with an O2 Pre+.

As for the App catalogue -- I activated my Pre+ in the 'States with an AT&T SIM. While in Canada (on a different SIM / different network), I'm able to access the American version of the App catalogue no problem. This is tied to where/how you activate not so much where you physically are when you access the catalogue.

I hope this helps / ask if you need more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Good timing! I was wondering about something like this too. I'm about to head out of town to the British Indian Ocean Territory (B.I.O.T.) and I don't think I can use my Verizon Pre+ since it is CDMA. I need a GSM900 cellphone from Europe or South-East Asia, or a FonePlus Cellular SIM card. So I may be out of luck.

I can access the wireless system so I guess I can reach the app catalog? I too am wondering if I can download apps and updates if I'm not in my home country by using the wifi.
    You are correct if they don't have a CDMA network there. When I traveled to Europe the last time, I carried my Sprint Pre. Turned off the Phone Radios and used wifi. I could in fact get to the app catalog and Preware over wifi. No updates came out while I was there so I don't know. But I have downloaded updates at home over wifi.
    International roaming on AT&T depends upon whether they have a roaming agreement with a local carrier. Roaming without adding an international calling plan to your account can be very expensive. Depending upon the country, it may be easier to unlock the phone via Nextgen Servers or AT&T (if you've had the account for more than 180 days) and purchase a local pre-paid SIM. This allows making and receiving in-country calls at a more reasonable rate. As long as the phone has been activated and the Palm profile created in an appropriate country, you should be able to receive OTA updates and have app catalog access while using the AT&T SIM. Probably not so with the pre-paid SIM, but it should be tested by someone.

Update: seems as if someone has tried it. :grin:
    Last edited by dgdonovan; 08/03/2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: New information
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You are correct if they don't have a CDMA network there. When I traveled to Europe the last time, I carried my Sprint Pre. Turned off the Phone Radios and used wifi. I could in fact get to the app catalog and Preware over wifi. No updates came out while I was there so I don't know. But I have downloaded updates at home over wifi.
    Did you do something for a phone? I was wondering if I could buy a cheap GSM pay as you go phone (ATT Go Phone?) and then buy the sim card for Diego Garcia (an island in BIOT) to use. I set up my computer for skype, but wireless access is $4 per hour so i can't just stay connected.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Did you do something for a phone? I was wondering if I could buy a cheap GSM pay as you go phone (ATT Go Phone?) and then buy the sim card for Diego Garcia (an island in BIOT) to use. I set up my computer for skype, but wireless access is $4 per hour so i can't just stay connected.
    I didn't the last time (1 week trip), but am going to the next time (4 week trip).

Yes, you can buy an inexpensive unlocked GSM pay as you go phone as long as it works on the proper frequencies. The Pre works on all four. You can likely Google the frequencies for where you are traveling and buy a phone that matches.

The SIM cards are usually sold in the airports in vending machines. You can also buy them online. The ones I have seen are around $50 and you get a $20 credit toward usage. SMS and calls are what use your minutes but ALL INCOMING CALLS from anywhere in the world are normally free to you. Most also offer cards for re-loading the account with credit. I know that some offer data packages as well.

You will also want to be aware of the type of number you get. The ones online come with a US number that your friends, family and work can dial from their phones and not incur long distance charges, plus the incoming calls don't cost you any minutes. However I suspect that if the number you get is a foreign number, the incoming call may be free to you, but will really cost the caller.
    I have my wife's old AT&T phone...I don't recall the model or band, I'll look into that tonight. I wonder if I can use it and buy the card with a US number?

I have my wife's old AT&T phone...I don't recall the model or band, I'll look into that tonight. I wonder if I can use it and buy the card with a US number?

If it is unlocked and supports the proper frequencies, then yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Updates are able to be downloaded over WiFi (in fact this is the preferred method) so that should not be an issue.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts