1.    #1  
    Long ago, I made the possibly unwise mistake of deleting PDF View. I thought it was a junk app that came bundled with other apps, since it always showed up after I had purchased another app.

Later I actually wanted to use PDFs for things like reading my school assignments and class schedules. How to get PDF View back? Well, I did a search here, and most of the relevant threads said to run WebOS Repair Utility with "override compatibility" off. So I hooked up my Pre Plus and let this thing run overnight.

I checked the log for PDF View messages, and it said that there was nothing wrong with the files. But there was no PDF View to be found, and the "pdf file type" was not in my Default Apps list.

So here we are at the present day, and it's kind of weird. Whenever I use WebOS Quick Install to add or uninstall an app, PDF View will appear again in my list of apps. PDF files will appear in my Default Apps list, and the program works fine. But, whenever my Pre restarts, PDF View disappears again.

What's going on here? Why does PDF View appear and then disappear? It works fine whenever it appears in the list. It just never sticks around between restarts. Have I messed up my Pre somehow when I deleted it the first time?
    Have you ever Doctored your phone. I understand that it will return your phone to the original state. You may need to run a backup utility first. I have been lucky and never had to Doctor my phone but have seen several threads about it on the forums.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Before you run the Doctor... try running the Repair Utility first.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, I've run the Repair Utility. Isn't that equivalent to the Doctor?
    had this problem awhile back - from what i understand, the pdf viewer isn't deleted when you delete the icon, it just now becomes hidden. what i did was hook up my pre (in developer mode) via usb to my pc and use webosquickinstall to send this file by clicking on the menubar, then tools, then receive file:

/var/luna/data/.hidden-apps.json

to my pc desktop, then edit it with notepad/ wordpad by deleting the only item that was listed:

[ com.palm.app.pdfviewer ]

then send the edited file on the pc desktop back onto the pre via webosquickinstall by going to menu, tools, send file:

/var/luna/data

then reboot your pre. the pdf viewer should now be back permanently - well assuming you install the do not remove pdf viewer patch in preware asap, lol. dunno why palm allows the option for the pdf viewer to be hidden/ "deleted" in the first place - seems a bit silly.

this is how i remember fixing it if i recall correctly. let me know if this works for you as well.
    Last edited by kumquatsrus; 08/05/2010 at 03:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumquatsrus View Post
    dunno why palm allows the pdf viewer to be hidden/ "deleted" in the first place - seems a bit silly.
    There are reasons for everything.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    you can do a partial erase and it will restore the pdf app, its easier than doing the doctor =)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    There are reasons for everything.
    i do agree. so in this case, what is the mysterious reason? does allowing the pdf viewer icon to be removed prevent the opening of a wormhole in the space-time continuum to another dimension where everyone owns an iphone? truly this is a most sacred charge indeed and must be upheld at all costs .
    There are reasons we have to allow users to delete the application..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    There are reasons we have to allow users to delete the application..
    Cuz they do what they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dameweg View Post
    you can do a partial erase and it will restore the pdf app, its easier than doing the doctor =)
    I'm curious, what do you mean by a partial erase? How is that accomplished?
  12.    #12  
    kumquatsrus, your solution did the trick. Thanks!

Bummer you can't get it back without doing crazy homebrew stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    kumquatsrus, your solution did the trick. Thanks!

Bummer you can't get it back without doing crazy homebrew stuff.
    no prob man, glad i could help