1.    #1  
    Call it an ebay obsession but I've decided to upgrade after a year of the pre to the pre plus.

Main reasons were improved build and a better camera - hope its worth the extra $$...

Anyway - my plan is to:

1. backup memos/todo - using pocket mirror
    2. backup secret
    3. backup patches list in preware
    4. backup save restore app
    5. run palm backup app
    6. swap the sim
    7. log into my existing palm profile
    8. let palm update
    9. update firmware to latest version
    10. use Quick install to add preware
    11. transfer USB partition from pre to pre plus
    12. run save/restore to reinstall all the extra bits
    13. reset
    14. pray
    15. sell old pre on ebay

Anyone care to add any additional steps or correct me? I've not seen any posts explaining this process so hopefully this can help others in a similar position....
    I did not think there a different camera.
    More storage and RAM, different keyboard, and missing the button...but I think everything else is the same.
    Camera? It's the same.

As far as the rest good luck...is there a forum documented case of a plus fully working on Sprint?
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/02/2010 at 07:16 PM.
  4.    #4  
    OK so the cameras the same - i'm in the UK and plan to swap my 02 SIM - don't see any problem with that, assumeing all the steps above work. Others must have needed to do this at some point....?
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    [Removed earlier comment because I didn't read closely enough. ]

It's cool to see that you run Secret on the Pre. I use the desktop client all day every day. Any caveats about the Pre client?

-darren
    Sorry...I made the mistake of assuming, given you had the phone a year, that it was a Sprint unit...and I glanced right over the pound sign. My bad.

Might I suggest you update your location within your user profile....
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I have a Palm Pre Plus with Verizon, and I understand why you would want the Pre Plus, but I don't think it is worth all that. The changes the Pre Plus has may seem a lot better, but when you actually compare the Pre and Plus, there isn't much of a difference. But, good luck!
  8.    #8  
    will change my location...

i wasn't sure if its worth it as an overclocked pre is pretty sweet - but the pre plus is pretty rare in the uk & i got a good price so plan to resell if there's no big difference (although o doubt we'll see any new hardware in the UK for years!).

darrenf - secret rocks, the on device app is simple & effective, the suport excellent and the price right.
    Quote Originally Posted by 60milesmile View Post
    will change my location...

i wasn't sure if its worth it as an overclocked pre is pretty sweet - but the pre plus is pretty rare in the uk & i got a good price so plan to resell if there's no big difference (although o doubt we'll see any new hardware in the UK for years!).

darrenf - secret rocks, the on device app is simple & effective, the suport excellent and the price right.
    I think you will be ok... copying the media partition will get you those things that are saved in the media partition... which would be ringtones and pictures and such... you will need to make sure that any apps (like secret) also save in the media partition and not somewhere else (or have an export function you can use)...

Also know that the steps you have lined out you wont be taking: call log, and messaging logs with you... so dont expect to see your old txt messages pop up or any info on who called you previously. I would suggest to hold on to your old phone for a few... make sure that everything you needed made the transfer before doctoring it and putting it up for sale.

Oh... and good luck! I have a Pre Plus sitting on my desk at home that will have a sprint com board in it very very soon...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    I think you will be ok... copying the media partition will get you those things that are saved in the media partition... which would be ringtones and pictures and such... you will need to make sure that any apps (like secret) also save in the media partition and not somewhere else (or have an export function you can use)...

Also know that the steps you have lined out you wont be taking: call log, and messaging logs with you... so dont expect to see your old txt messages pop up or any info on who called you previously. I would suggest to hold on to your old phone for a few... make sure that everything you needed made the transfer before doctoring it and putting it up for sale.

Oh... and good luck! I have a Pre Plus sitting on my desk at home that will have a sprint com board in it very very soon...
    thanks. I was hoping that sms & call logs were covered by save/restore?