Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I broke my Palm Pre touch screen by letting it fall on concrete. It works ok, boots, display, everything, but is unusable of course.

Yeah, my bad, can't argue. I don't have any insurance (TEP, whatever).

I contacted Palm by chat, they said they'll fix it (I guess this means send me a refurbished) for $200. This seems darn expensive. I'm only a few months in my Sprint contact, can't walk out or ask for an upgrade.

What is the best way to repair it at a reasonable cost? Is it true that Sprint itself would agree to replace it for a refurbished for $100? Is there another way to proceed?

Tx
    Jerome
    sprint is loyal to their loyal customers, call them and discuss it..
    I'd like to hear if you succeed at this. I just tried to deal with both Sprint and Palm, and the best deal I could get from Palm was 35% off of a $199 "repair" bill for a crack. The phone is 3 weeks old
    I feel your pain. :>( I dropped my phone 6 days into my contract and broke it. Please let us know what you get worked out. I did see pre + phones on ebay but I doubt they're going to be any cheaper than getting refurb from the store or Palm.

Jo Ann
    insurance is worth it. i recently cracked mine a little (thankfully i has screen protector to strengthen it) and i tried to get it replaced, but physical damage isnt covered by insurance. id have to pay $100 for replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ofthecats86 View Post
    insurance is worth it. i recently cracked mine a little (thankfully i has screen protector to strengthen it) and i tried to get it replaced, but physical damage isnt covered by insurance. id have to pay $100 for replacement.
    That's a tad misleading. Physical damage is covered by the insurance. You're being charged a $100 deductible. Without that, you'd have to simply buy a new one for $400+ (or a used, replacement, or have your's fixed at your expense).
  7.    #7  
    First off, thanks to all who answered. Much appreciated.

Ok, I will contact Sprint for sure and see if the $100 repair works. I have no illusions this will be an annoying discussion, so I'd rather be prepared.
    => Any pitfalls in your experience in doing so?

Also, before doing that, I'd like to have a better idea of possible alternatives.

Going through Palm appears significantly more expensive. I am not too eager to buy another used Palm Pre on eBay, I doubt I'd save much money and I'd like some "comfort" factor on the fact that I'll get a functioning device at the end!
    => Is that it? Aren't there other types of repair shops available?
    yea i apologize for not specifying. bottom line is insurance is definitely worth it with a smartphone. the palm pre is my first smartphone; before it i only dealt with rugged phones because i loved the durability.

imagine a mil spec pre???? *oooooooo*
    $200 dollars seem a bit steep, I guess that's the price you pay for not having insurance.

Best of luck...
    I cracked my pre after having it for a month, I had no insurance, I took it to a small sprint repair store and asked them my options. They took a look at the phone and ordered me a refurb for no charge. Not sure why I got it but just go into some sprint stores and just ask what your options are and see what happens
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Coal8 View Post
    I cracked my pre after having it for a month, I had no insurance, I took it to a small sprint repair store and asked them my options. They took a look at the phone and ordered me a refurb for no charge. Not sure why I got it but just go into some sprint stores and just ask what your options are and see what happens
    Whoah, this sounds almost too good to be true. I will certainly try. Thanks for the tidbit.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Find a new screen on eBay for $80 (such as FULL LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer for Palm Pre - eBay (item 110565472312 end time Aug-03-10 01:28:46 PDT)) , and have a ball ripping your phone apart and replacing it yourself.
    It doesn't hurt to try—sometimes you get lucky and find someone in service who does go above and beyond to be helpful. A replacement device is certainly your simplest option.

If you want a more DIY approach, you can order a replacement LCD assembly and try your hand at fixing it yourself. Since that place only lets you order two, your best bet is to find someone else who needs a similar repair to cover your parts costs in exchange for you doing the work.
    Honestly...i'd sell you my Palm Pre with Touchstone (and back cover) for $125.

There are some minor scratches on the screen...but let me know if you're interested via PM.
  15.    #15  
    If I were to buy a used Palm Pre from someone (say the proposal Brain Mantis just posted), is it as simple as to switch SIM cards then? I thought I read somewhere this wasn't the case, can't remember specifics.

PS. huh... maybe this is a dumb question... this is CDMA, so no SIM card, right? Then how does it work?
    You would just call sprint and give them the phones ESN and they would activate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoisand View Post
    If I were to buy a used Palm Pre from someone (say the proposal Brain Mantis just posted), is it as simple as to switch SIM cards then? I thought I read somewhere this wasn't the case, can't remember specifics.

PS. huh... maybe this is a dumb question... this is CDMA, so no SIM card, right? Then how does it work?
    Quote Originally Posted by merkel85 View Post
    You would just call sprint and give them the phones ESN and they would activate it.
    Sprint phones don't use sim cards. Step one on such a proposition - make sure the phone you are looking at buying is for the provider you want to use.
    Is there any damage to the screen besides the crack? What I mean is did the screen get scratched or are there any dings on the phone at all from the fall? My brother got a new palm pre and he might of had it a week and he also dropped his phone and cracked the screen. Amazingly he didnt scratch or ding the phone at all. I called palm and told them that my pre had suddenly developed a crack, and that this was a known issue with the palm pre. Palm told me they would replace it for free as long as there was no physical damage to the phone or saw that the phone had been abused. My brother got his palm pre back good as new, and wouldnt you know it, that he dropped it and cracked the screen for the 2nd time. Again I called palm and told them that the phone had developed a crack in the screen again and that they needed to repair it correctly this time. Palm told me to send the phone in and again they replaced the lcd on the phone. This time I ordered my brother a otter box for his pre and it has been crack free for a few months now. In both of my phone calls I mentioned that this was a known issue for the palm pre, from several different forums. Just in case this helps anyone else, I will add this link.

Palm Pre Screen Cracked - Palm Support Community
  19.    #19  
    Thanks, fgcchevy.

My screen is actually pretty scratched (not really from the fall, but from some abuse I gave it...). Still, good tip. I was maybe indeed a tad "too honest" with Palm when I chatted with them...
    OP, this is a perfect time to upgrade to a Pre Plus (if you are comfortable with replacing some internals). You can buy a bad ESN Verizon Pre, swap the Comm board, and use the Plus on Sprint... If you're going to bother tearing apart your Pre to replace the LCD, you might as well get a Plus lol.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast