Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ofthecats86 View Post
    yea i apologize for not specifying. bottom line is insurance is definitely worth it with a smartphone. the palm pre is my first smartphone; before it i only dealt with rugged phones because i loved the durability.

imagine a mil spec pre???? *oooooooo*
    In fact Nextel will be selling a Mil Spec smartphone, it is called the i1. It will be running Android and cost about the same as most other phones. Now if only a WebOS phone could be made to those Specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    This is not directed at you personally, but at about 2/3 of the western world.

I would suggest that a person who has a smartphone plan that runs anywhere from $70/month and up, but has less than $250 saved for emergencies, is doing things wrong. These are the mindsets that lead to bankruptcy.
    I understand completely, and I do have more than $250 saved up for an "emergency". A phone doesn't qualify as an "emergency" for me. Actually, what I would do in most such cases is activate one of the Treos or Centros that's sitting around unused.

I probably should mention as part of my consideration on TEP, last year was the first year ever that I've not had to avail myself of using my TEP coverage with Sprint (and ironically, yes, it was on my "sub par" Palm Pre hardware). I'm pretty hard on phones. First Treo went in a bowl of gumbo when I was holding the bowl and propping the phone under my chin. Since then, I've had 'em go in the bilge on my boat, off the holder on my motorcycle, a couple of Cebtro's with cracked screens in my pocket.

I'm pretty sure that if I added up what I've spent on monthly costs, and what I've gotten in return, it's almost a break even.

TEP really is one of those things in which there is no universal answer. For some, it's a good deal. For others, it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoisand View Post
    PS. the guy also stated that TEP would NOT cover such damage. I didn't press the issue as it was irrelevant for me anyway, but this seems insane. Goes in the way of the folks who don't like insurance schemes...
    The guy is wrong. TEP (Total Equipment Proection) covers everything. You can run over the phone with a truck (not on purpose, of course), and it's covered. Theft, lost, damaged, dunked - all covered.

I think he's probably thinking of the ESRP (Equipment Service & Repair Program) which is "for problems resulting from normal wear and tear or out-of-warranty mechanical and electrical failure."

Sprint's three different programs are covered here:
    Support - Article
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The guy is wrong. TEP (Total Equipment Proection) covers everything. You can run over the phone with a truck (not on purpose, of course), and it's covered. Theft, lost, damaged, dunked - all covered.

I think he's probably thinking of the ESRP (Equipment Service & Repair Program) which is "for problems resulting from normal wear and tear or out-of-warranty mechanical and electrical failure."

Sprint's three different programs are covered here:
    Support - Article
    Saw a post on here and other stories about walking into a store and they can't re-create the problem and not offering even TEP replacement only for said customer to walk out side and throw the phone in the street and say "Oops I lost it."
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123