1.    #1  
    Guys,

Please help. I`m looking to buy and unlock Pre Plus off ebay.com from US, but will it work in UK on o2 network? I have zero understanding about CDMA, WCDMA etc. Most of them on ebay are off Verizon or AT&T
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I'm a novice too with all of this, but to my understanding, I think you have to have a GSM phone for it to work here, so i'm doubting any US phone would work here without any extra 'stuff' being done to it. CDMA is used for T-mobile and sprint in the US to my knowledge. i'm not sure about AT&T
    AT&T in the US use GSM but on different frequencies to GSM in Europe. CDMA (Sprint, Verizon) does not work in Europe (except in some very very limited circumstances & locations).

An AT&T Pre's phone will probably work and might get 2G, but not 3G - but it would be expensive as it will be roaming all the time. Better bet is to get an official UK handset and unlock it - or get an unlocked German handset with the QWERTZ keyboard.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I recently got my Pre from eBay UK for only £115 It's not too bad a price really. And why a Pre +? An Overclocked Pre will run pretty much the same
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I can't say if the various alternative kernels and overclocks really fix the "too many cards" issues as I've never tried them.

However, I upgraded from the Pre to the Pre Plus and it's like a different device. I've had the Plus for about two months and I've never had the "too many cards" error and I've never had to reboot the phone to get a game to work.

I'd try and get a UK Pre Plus if you can.

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Better bet is to get an official UK handset and unlock it
    Well, i do find some Pre's + on ebay.co.uk but those people won't sell it and ship it to countries outside UK!
    I would pay more than the bids i see on ebay.co.uk!!
    Maybe people are afraid of fraude and scams? Don't know why, i will pay with paypal...

Anyone knows where to get those Palm Pre Plus -devices?
    Okay, i'll try to find P|C rot, is there a member search inhere :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by depo View Post
    Guys,

Please help. I`m looking to buy and unlock Pre Plus off ebay.com from US, but will it work in UK on o2 network? I have zero understanding about CDMA, WCDMA etc. Most of them on ebay are off Verizon or AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Reference:
    Palm Support : Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone - Palm Support - Article ID: 65931

Understanding network bands and frequencies for a GSM/UMTS phone
    The network bands and frequencies available for your webOS phone are listed below.

Region ....................................... 2G frequencies ......................... 3G frequencies
    North America (US/CAN) ............. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/1900/2100 UMTS
    South America (LAT) .................. 850/900/1800/1900 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Asia-Pacific .......................................... 1900/1800 GSM ................. 850/900/2100 UMTS
    Europe .................... 850/900/1800 /1900 (degraded) GSM ................. 900/2100 UMTS

Europe uses 900/2100 UMTS for 3G data, North America uses 850/1900/2100 UMTS for 3G data.

Specifications for the Palm Pre device: Quad-Band GSM/Edge and Dual Band UTMS 3G

Furthermore, disassembly of both the EU Pre and the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre uncovered TWO different communication boards.
    The EU Palm Pre contains a board marked "EU" whilst the Telcel Mexico Palm Pre contains a board marked "NA".

Despite what others may try to convince you of in order to get their hands on some of your hard earned money, your unlocked German Palm Pre will NOT connect to AT&T's North American 3G UTMS network. Yes, your phone is unlocked, so yes, voice, text, MMS, and "Edge" data will function flawlessly with your AT&T 3G SIM card inserted, but NO 3G data - Period - End of Story - No if's buts or ands about it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully you can get a refund for your German Palm pre .....

TTB
    P.S. Same is true for an AT&T Palm Pre Plus used in Europe everything will work fine, but you will not have 3G data connectivity.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    P.S. Same is true for an AT&T Palm Pre Plus used in Europe everything will work fine, but you will not have 3G data connectivity.
    What about Pre+ which is sold in UK by O2? Does that one has 3g?