Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Beware of three scam apps in the Palm Beta and Web feeds. Rolando, XCode and OperaMini5 are non-functional and contain no code or binaries.

There are reports of an Adobe Flash 10.1 Installer which also looks fake.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/01/2010 at 05:56 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    so they just sit there?
  3.    #3  
    They have no code, so they do nothing.

-- Rod
    why would anyone do this? Kinda weird.
  5.    #5  
    Attention is the most probable reason.

I don't know whether developers get any personal information about purchasers, but if so, that would be the next likely explanation.

A genuine mistake would have been most likely if it was one app, but this is three virtually identical apps (code wise) released with bogus screenshots and descriptions, so that's unlikely in this case.

Another explanation might be someone trying to reserve some application names for future use - I would hope that Palm is able to stop such name-squatting.

The links in the application description could be to malicious web pages, but that does not seem to be the case here.

Just simple attention is the most likely cause - imagine if PreCentral was to be fooled and ran a front page storey about Opera Mini on the Pre and then Engadget picked up the storey without checking ...

-- Rod
    Ok, thanks Rod. I got kind of excited when I saw Opera Mini show up. ha-ha.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    lets hope PC doesn't do a front page on how palm had something like this hit tbe catalog and hurt palm credibility when much worse has happened to android and iphone app stores...
    Since the apps do absolutely nothing (either good or bad), there would be no reason for a front-page article.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    looks like there are more, I saw an app called " Android", but the description is "operamu" again??? Very bizarre.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    There needs to be some control for sure. I hope Palm takes those down on Monday.
    The operamu uses location information.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    I hope palm is proactive like apple and takes them down. Anyway if we are getting spam apps, must mean palm webOS is making some, maybe little, but some waves.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Now they even posted a Flash 10.1 installer! Beware!
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    So that is fake?

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...-101-installer

I was just about to post asking about this.
    is palm even paying attention?
    Am I going mad or is there a 10.1 installer on the palm beta feed?

Update...
    Trying to click install gets a this is not a valid webos application on a uk 02 pre.
    Last edited by craigc; 08/01/2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: update
    I hear it is fake in here

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...scam-apps.html

The link I provided in that thread you cannot download either. I'm not going to try, it cannot be legit based on the size alone.
    Thanks thought it was too good to be true, about 10 months and counting so far....
    it doesn't appear in the beta-feed on my german palm pre. do you have a screenshot? sounds very interesting...

edit: ok just saw the other posts. thanks!
    why would they have it on precentral if it was fake?
    clearly fake look at the maintainer

Precenter
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast