Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I was excited and distracted at the same time. A bad combination . I downloaded and opened it
    : O
    Any guesses to what I just did to my phone/data
    Last edited by babydaddy75; 08/01/2010 at 07:54 PM.
    For fun, download this one instead:

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...lash-countdown
    hehehe. That's a pretty powerful app then since I don't have a paypal account : D
    I blacklisted these after their first wave of so called "apps".
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    There's another app by them posing as an Android one. BLACKLIST
    Merged threads and updated title.
    I installed it seconds after it hit the Beta App Catalog. I clicked on the developer link and the support link. They both went to Adobe. But the description content states "Don't press the button more THEN once"... yep not more THAN one but more THEN once. Furthermore, the description states "you have been warned".

Based on those two major English mistakes, the spelling mistake and the a major company like Adobe telling users direclty that they have been warned, I should have known that it was a phony app.

No Flash site work. No games, no video, nothing. I even rebooted my Palm Pre device and still nothing. When I clicked on the TAP TO LAUNCH button, I got a blank white page with "POSWev" in the title bar. I don't know what that means.

The app does not appear in my app list as Flash Install, but instead as POSWev produced by a company called "My Company". Again, the "My Company" is also very fishy.

Based on all this information, I conclude that this app is fake. Now the problem is, WHY DID ANYONE ALLOW THIS APP TO BE PUBLISHED ?!? This developer should be sued, not just banned. I think users need to get together and file a class action lawsuit against this fraudster. There is not room in emerging technology for fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by dictomail View Post
    This developer should be sued, not just banned. I think users need to get together and file a class action lawsuit against this fraudster. There is not room in emerging technology for fraud.
    I agree 100% with the notion that this dev should be banned, and that this was stupid and sleazy, but let's all take a breath before talking class action law suits.

There's really nothing to file a law suit over. What damages do you have?

You're out maybe 5 minutes of your time, and have absolutely no other damages. Let's say the median income is $50k/year. That makes your 5 minutes worth $2.00 on average. You would need to get tens of thousands of people to join the law suit just to cover legal costs, and even then, since most class-action lawyers are contingency based, you'd be getting about $1 per person, and that assumes the ***** dev has the money.

In theory, you could file enough complaints with the FTC that they would get a fine for false advertising, but you'd never see a penny and it's questionable whether or not you'd be able to.

On the other hand, Adobe could sue them for copyright and trademark infringement, but once again, there's no money involved, so it would probably just end with a cease and desist order.

Now, if you can show that this app does something malicious, like collect and send your personal information or damage your phone, you might have a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since the apps do absolutely nothing (either good or bad), there would be no reason for a front-page article.

-- Rod
    Maybe an existentialist front-page article.
    Prē
    Come to think of it, contacting Adobe probably is the best way to get this stuff out of the catalog. Their legal departments would have a fit, and start sending cease and desist orders within minutes.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Blacklisted Precenter, inc
    I looked up XCoder and PreCenter Inc. For those who care, they have a domain redistered out of Turkey.

Here's the Who Is url:

Xcoder.net - xCoder
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    ...they have a domain redistered out of Turkey,
    Well that eliminates law suits altogether; and pretty much shoots a hole in any cease and desist letters from Adobe. The only thing left is to try to have enough people complain to Palm that they pull it from the catalog and block the dev.
    I, like many people, was excited to see Flash in the Beta Catalog....but once I saw it wasn't from Adobe, I knew not to download it.

I figured I'd check the P/C forums...and, sure enough, this thread confirmed that it was a crap app.
    I would love to get my hands on the scummy dev/s, tape an iphone in their left hand and drop them in the wild for the coyotes to have fun. All while listening to the screams cause they got no balls,er bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by dictomail View Post
    I installed it seconds after it hit the Beta App Catalog. I clicked on the developer link and the support link. They both went to Adobe. But the description content states "Don't press the button more THEN once"... yep not more THAN one but more THEN once. Furthermore, the description states "you have been warned".
    This alone is funny. You are criticizing somebody for bad grammar without using proper grammar in the final sentence.

It should say:

Quote Originally Posted by What you should have said
    Furthermore, the description states "you have been warned."
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 08/02/2010 at 01:40 AM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    It should say....
    Sorry, you need a grammar lesson too. LOL.

It should say:

Quote Originally Posted by What you should have said
    Furthermore, the description states, "you have been warned."
    You always need a comma before a quotation.
    I think Dictomail may have a point - whoever's doing this is putting up stuff that's dysfunctional in the best case and malicious in the worst case under trademarked monikers. That's not fun and games, that's fraud.

So if Adobe or Opera find out about this, and find that more than a handful of people have actually downloaded it, they can conclude that their brand name has suffered, and that somebody illegally got "something" out of it.

What this scammer is doing is pretty serious in itself. The question is now, how many people will fall for it.
    As I think that a minority of webOS users is accessing the beta feeds, I don't think enough people will be burned to warrant any large-scale action on the part of Palm or the companies whose brands were used.

But if the Flash scam got a million downloads, and a million people would be liable to believe that Adobe has released complete crap and/or a virus, Adobe would a) sue the guy to smithereens and b) make sure everybody affected knew about it through the media.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Do you take everything in life this seriously?
    What's your average heart rate when you clumsily drop your keys or you can't open a jar with one twist?
    For Palm it should be "serious". Their app launching strategy could have a flaw and potentially could be a threat to users if they do not review the app feeds properly.

Why do your comments have to be so wity?

I bet its Apple or Google employees behind those 3 apps Any more conspiracy theories anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    But if the Flash scam got a million downloads, and a million people would be liable to believe that Adobe has released complete crap and/or a virus, Adobe would a) sue the guy to smithereens and b) make sure everybody affected knew about it through the media.
    Wouldn't it make more sense for Adobe to sue the crap out of those responsible for the beta feeds; easier target and ultimately responsible in Adobe's eyes (not ours, mine or his)?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast